Greatest PC games of all time.

Sign in to follow this  

Hehe I know what you mean, me either. The art is really impressive and it holds up fine today. And the voice acting is definitely great.

And yeah, I really can't relate to putting Skyrim so high. It just seems like a really overhyped game to me. But then again it's not my cup of tea so I shouldn't speak for it.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

1. Battlefield 1942

2. Battlefield 2

3. Mass effect 2

4. Battlefield bad company 2

5. Day of defeat: source

"Life sucks sober!"

For me it would 100% be Riven.

Riven's visual design was straight up amazing. The thought out details and style are still unparalleled. The puzzles, the sound design, even the acting. There's almost nothing about Riven that I could even imagine being done better.

For the record, I still get chills watching the intro.

Lza_VWaSlg8

Riven's visual design was straight up amazing. The thought out details and style are still unparalleled. The puzzles, the sound design, even the acting. There's almost nothing about Riven that I could even imagine being done better.

Agreed. I still think it would be awesome to see the whole game rebuilt in CryEngine 3; that's probably one of the only engines that could do it justice.

Agreed. I still think it would be awesome to see the whole game rebuilt in CryEngine 3; that's probably one of the only engines that could do it justice.

Well, small world. I'm on a team at the moment recreating Riven using modern graphics. We're using mainly Unity for the engine, not CryEngine though. Well, a homespun derivative of Unity we're calling Cygnet. We're still making our first dent into the actual adaptation work, but our team is growing and we've got some great ideas. All of the graphics guys, including myself, are very OCD about getting every detail right in the recreation.

This is an old video showcasing rough pre-vis work, but all our recent work is currently under wraps.

38nQ1hM-RyY

1. Battlefield 1942

2. Battlefield 2

3. Mass effect 2

4. Battlefield bad company 2

5. Day of defeat: source

Something tells me you like Battlefield a lot.

Now what would make you think that ? :D

"Life sucks sober!"

Well, small world. I'm on a team at the moment recreating Riven using modern graphics. We're using mainly Unity for the engine, not CryEngine though. Well, a homespun derivative of Unity we're calling Cygnet. We're still making our first dent into the actual adaptation work, but our team is growing and we've got some great ideas. All of the graphics guys, including myself, are very OCD about getting every detail right in the recreation.

This is an old video showcasing rough pre-vis work, but all our recent work is currently under wraps.

38nQ1hM-RyY

You're on Starry Expanse? :o I had no clue; that's awesome. What I have seen of you guy's work does genuinely look great. Keep it up!

You're on Starry Expanse? :o I had no clue; that's awesome. What I have seen of you guy's work does genuinely look great. Keep it up!

Good to hear. :)

Here's a taste of something we haven't shown off on the site just yet. It's a pre-vis rendered animation of a prototype dynamic sky, designed and programmed by yours truly.

z-gt3MFUB7M

No question here. The best PC game I have ever played is by far Baldur's Gate 2, closely followed by Fallout 1 and 2. Those games were (and still are) so atmospheric that I feel a chill down my spine everytime I think about them, their amazing storyline and mindblasting dialogues.

When fortune is blind, be a guide-dog.

Fallout 1 and 2 were so much better than Baldur's Gate in my opinion, the only thing I liked about BG was the hand-painted backgrounds. Real-time with pause combat was terrible seeing as it was based off of D&D rules and the storyline was the same story Bioware have told throughout their entire existence, perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had played it before DA:O. My fave medieval iso CRPG of that time would have to be Icewind Dale, with Planescape and Fallout 1/2 tying for best isometric cRPG ever made.

Wasteland 2 will hopefully mean I have a new top game though.

edit- late reply but

My intro to the Half Life games was The Orange Box for PS3, so you're not alone.

Mine was too. Possibly the worst way to get into the game series, what a horrendous port.

At least it's modding community got me into PC gaming.

My list (in no particular order):

System Shock 2

Unreal 1

Unreal Tournament 99

Half-Life

Half-Life 2/ep1/ep2 (the saga as a whole)

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl

Quake 2

I am also tempted to put Red Faction 1 on that list but I am apparently an oddball for absolutely loving that game.

My intro to Half-Life was in 1998 with the WON CD release. This was back when some of you were still learning to talk. ;)

My intro to the Half Life games was The Orange Box for PS3, so you're not alone.

Mine was too. Possibly the worst way to get into the game series, what a horrendous port.

At least it's modding community got me into PC gaming.

Ha, yeah, it wasn't great, that's for sure. I remember there was this constant popping noise in the audio that happened in no other game I owned. It's only saving grace was the ability to easily quicksave at any time, which on a console release is pretty rare.

Starcraft - Greatest RTS of all Time, and one of the greatest PC games of all time.

Warcraft 3 (and its Expansion The Frozen Throne) - Has to be one of the greats its spawned Dota which in turn gave birth to LoL.

There's two I thought of, most of my PC gaming has been RTS games.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."