Good tagging software?

Does anyone know of good software to use metadata to tag different files? I'm fine for audio files, but I don't know what to use for video files (like WMV, FLV, etc.) or archive files (ZIP, RAR, etc.). I don't have a preference as to whether it changes the source file or not, however I would like something that could:

1. Be able to identify a moved or relocated file (MD5 information maybe?).

2. Still be functional if I did a clean format of windows and backed up any files relevant to the tagging software (in other words, nothing stored in the registry)

Does anyone know of software like this?

This looks more like it's for identifying the composition of a media file. It doesn't seem support stuff I would expect from tagging software like batch processing or being able to search through the files.

As for the registry, it's not so much that it can't be in the registry, it's that I need a method of backing up the info so I can transfer it to a clean install if I need to.

I don't know of any tagging software off of the top of my head, but as far as hashing goes, HashMyFiles is probably the best software I've used for the purpose. It can do MD5s, SHA1, SHA2, CRCs, and more. Where it really becomes handy though is the ability to add an entire folder with or without adding subfolders. Another handy feature is that if it finds duplicate files. When it does, it assigned the two (or more) files a number and highlights them, and then you can just click the "duplicate" column to sort by the numbers it assigned to quickly find all of your duplicate files.

I think “Wwidd” is effective, it is responsive and fast to work with, even in the thousand-file range.

Sorry that this is something an old topic -- but if you still looking, this program may be worth a look. I haven't got a chance to personally test it yet so it may or may not be what you want.

Though imo the best way to deal with alot of files is to have a good directory structure. Sorry Im not a better help.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.