Foreign Languages Thread :D

Let us know how it goes.

Hehe... I will, in VALVe time? ;d

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Let us know how it goes.

lol

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

So let's revive this thread already! I always wanted to learn some more languages, I had some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubelPxVhuis courses some time ago, but tried learning some more recently.

Browsing through this topic I was surprised to see that so many people are interested in learning German (my first language)! I of course support this, although I have to admit I have no idea why you'd want to learn a language that even I have to admit sounds so... goofy. I think a teacher at my university said it best: "French and Italian sound sexy and exotic and German just sounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo0Hsx-yHiI."

Let us know how it goes.

She was serious apparently. XD Now we just need to wait for Half Life 3 to come out, and then another 5 years, and then she'll tell us of her progress. :P

But yesss, Mr.KittyCat! :D Learning some Russian too? Do you know of any good sites where you can learn the vocabulary? I have a bunch of sites on the alphabet and pronunciation, barely on actual words and grammar though - and the site I do have is rather complex.

Also, I recommend this for Russian typing:

http://russian.typeit.org/

It is REALLY easy to use. It's based off of phonetics so it 'sounds' the same as a US/English keyboard. :3

EDIT: Also, LOL, I love their accents so much! 'Sneakers!' :D Hehehe.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Well a site I found useful is http://www.russian-online.net/de_start/lektionen/slovarik.php?sel=1&datei=slovarik.php - sadly it's only in German. Might be useful if you're trying to learn both?

Amazing Google Chrome is amazing and translates all the German for me and leaves the Russian stuff alone. X3 It's just like an English site now. :D Thanks for the link mate.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

I find it really hard to learn the vocabulary like this... I can barely remember the words if I'm just shown a massive list. I feel like, the words have to relate to me in some way for me to remember them and use them.

Like...

Спасиба I use a lot, because obviously, I like to thank people. XD

Привет is just something everyone should know. X3

But then there's others terms that I'd use because I find them adorable. Like Любимая! :D

If the word doesn't relate to me, it's harder for me to remember. X3 So my way of learning is kinda slow... but just easier for me.

Do you feel the same way, MrKittyCat? XP Or are you good at remembering lists of words?

EDIT: I have a question for Vappy. X3 When it comes to words with different endings (for the genders and stuff), what does it depend on? Let's say... What if I were to talk about somebody. Take for example, you, I dunno. XD Моя Ваппи.

Would it be Моя because it's MINE? Me being female. Or... I believe the male version is Мой... because I'm referring to a male?

-------

It's the gender of what the word describes. So it will be this:

Or... I believe the male version is Мой... because I'm referring to a male?

So you need to know the gender of the noun which the pronouns refer to and adjectives describe...

This seems to be a good explanation here: http://www.russianlessons.net/lessons/lesson6_main.php

Also, about your other question - I learned most of my English vocabulary from reading. My major breakthrough was when I read and made myself understand the libretto of Jesus Christ Superstar (I could sing the entire 90 minutes of it in my head at some point - I liked it so much :-) ) Then I started reading simplified books in English and after the first few tough pages I reached the point where I would deduce the meaning of an unfamiliar word from the context, rather than going to the dictionary all the time. That helped a lot - it was like a progressive change: without distraction of the dictionary lookup I could follow the meaning of the text more easily and that, in turn, let me guess the meaning of any new words more easily too.

Regards

Oh, my language is a real blast to learn as a newcomer. For example, we have the word "anden". Now, change the inflection to an extent comparable to a shrimp bumping into a whale and it becomes "anden". One means "the genie". The other is a type of duck. Yep.

I find it really hard to learn the vocabulary like this... I can barely remember the words if I'm just shown a massive list. I feel like, the words have to relate to me in some way for me to remember them and use them.

I hear ya. Personally, whenever I start learning a new language I try to go about it a little bit like I did with the first one. That is, just pull up a bunch of texts and videos and let it wash over you. Before I even try to learn any actual words, I simply listen to the cadence and rhythm and try to gaga-gogo along. Just like with the first language. Then go step by step, start learning a few of the basic words and grammar rules, but also go a lot by what simply catches your fancy in the above mentioned wash. One of the first words I ever learned was "lampa", because we had a really nice lamp in the living room. And so on.

It's the gender of what the word describes. So it will be this:
Or... I believe the male version is Мой... because I'm referring to a male?

So you need to know the gender of the noun which the pronouns refer to and adjectives describe...

This seems to be a good explanation here: http://www.russianlessons.net/lessons/lesson6_main.php

Ah. And does the word endings work for every single noun? Cause with the site, we're calling bread manly and newspaper feminine. XD

So what, would... Стол be a manly chair? :P Just because it ends with a consonant?

And what about... Подушка... so would my pillow be a female? XD What if I don't want it to be a female? XP Can I be fussy and change it to Подшкй? :P Or do I have to abide by the law of Russian vocabulary and grammar? X3

-------

I learned English vocabulary by constantly watching Freeman's Mind, using the subtitles to check words I didn't know, then making example sentences with these words.

I think there are a lot of Russian subtitles for FM, so maybe that will work too?

Ah. And does the word endings work for every single noun? Cause with the site, we're calling bread manly and newspaper feminine. XD

So what, would... Стол be a manly chair? :P Just because it ends with a consonant?

And what about... Подушка... so would my pillow be a female? XD What if I don't want it to be a female? XP Can I be fussy and change it to Подшкй? :P Or do I have to abide by the law of Russian vocabulary and grammar? X3

Стол would be a manly table :D Стул - will be a chair and, yes, manly too. And your pillow is a female. I don't think you can arbitrarily change the words' sex, so, Подушка will have to remain a girl but you can describe it as Пуховик - which means a "fluffy one" or "one filled with fluff" :lol:

And you do have to abide by the law or else they'll send you to Siberia! :D

Regards

REANIMATE.

Итак, я только что оживил эту тему. Мне вот интересно: кто-нибудь сможет перевести этот текст? Я не знаю, но уверен, что кто-нибудь точно попытается. Так что пожалуй добавлю какой-нибудь факт обо мне.

Факт: я ненавижу киви (которые фрукты).

So yeah, this was me, speaking native Russian ^^

Have fun translating these words :D

Anyway, I've been learning English since first grade (I've been lucky to have these courses that early), and somewhere around 6th-7th I started learning it from the Internet. No, I did not visit any imageboards, don't worry XD

Now here I am, spea-- uh, I mean, writing in fluent English. I also do text RPs and write stories, to increase my literary skills.

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

Итак, я только что оживил эту тему. Мне вот интересно: кто-нибудь сможет перевести этот текст? Я не знаю, но уверен, что кто-нибудь точно попытается. Так что пожалуй добавлю какой-нибудь факт обо мне.

Факт: я ненавижу киви (которые фрукты).

http://tinyurl.com/hsk9onz

Which fruit?

OT: I recently actually became the proud owner of my second Certificate of being able to do the English from Cambridge. Certificate of Proficiency in English this time, which is the highest I can get. Well, I still have to get the certificate, but I did pass with an A.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯