GERMAN GERMAN death camps!

Sign in to follow this  

Let's apply Doublenature's logic to Swedes, and see how he likes it.

Several hundred Swedish soldiers volunteered to fight on the German side during WW II. Some worked as guards at Treblinka, the concentration camp where 900,000 Jews were murdered.

Therefore, according to Doublenature, I know all I need to know about Swedes from the impression these Swedish visitors to mainland Europe made.

Now, do you see how galactically stupid your argument is?

Also, I find you guilty of violating the Jante Law, and I fine you 5 krona. :P

Yeah, sweden was indeed on the german side during ww II, Im not even gonna argue about that. We werent neutral, we were fighting for nazi germany. Cowards who choose side depending on who was winning.

Who invaded Irak and Afganistan recently?

You can have 50 öre, the krona is mine! ;)

"Life sucks sober!"

You know what? Im not stupid enough to keep at something I have been corrected at, MOST of americas citizens are not stupid and ignorant. But many americans ways seems weird to me. I will indeed talk about the government instead since that would be more accurate. Im sorry if I offended any of you.

"Life sucks sober!"

You know what? Im not stupid enough to keep at something I have been corrected at.

Spoken like a reasonable person. Well done.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

It seems that the phrase "Americans are stupid" is getting popular these days. In my country a bloody lot of people hate the Americans. Starting with "Americans put their pets into the microwave" leading to "USA plans to invade every country for oil and/or other natural resources". The truth is, most of the people in the world don't really know anything and have no idea what's what.

When fortune is blind, be a guide-dog.

Listen doublenature, I know you listened to a couple Pink Floyd albums and think you're a bigshot on philosophy or whatever, but I must admit, i admire someone who has done absolutely no research into their argument subject whatsoever. I admit it, I'm American and it's true, I spend all day stuffing my face with cheeseburgers, wearing wife beaters, and if you asked me to pinpoint Europe to you on a globe i would laugh and respond "what the fuck is a yurop?" You have sure put it all into perspective. And it is true, Americans are mostly Christian who are crazy extremists and ignorant. You sure do know how America works!

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Listen doublenature, I know you listened to a couple Pink Floyd albums and think you're a bigshot on philosophy or whatever, but I must admit, i admire someone who has done absolutely no research into their argument subject whatsoever. I admit it, I'm American and it's true, I spend all day stuffing my face with cheeseburgers, wearing wife beaters, and if you asked me to pinpoint Europe to you on a globe i would laugh and respond "what the fuck is a yurop?" You have sure put it all into perspective. And it is true, Americans are mostly Christian who are crazy extremists and ignorant. You sure do know how America works!

What does Pink floyd have to do with anything ? I listen to the band becuase I love their music.

And did you read what I said about 2 posts back ?

Many american peoples ways seems ODD to me because we dont have the same kind of culture here in Sweden. Americans and Swedes are two different people even though it doesnt LOOK like it. I took back my statement about americans being ignorant because it obviously wasnt true (I can actually admit a mistake).

Now this has shown me that the way Americans are portrayed here in Sweden is incredibly dumb and ignorant. Therefore I will not make a statement like this again without facts.

"Life sucks sober!"

Everybody stereotypes everybody. In Spanish “be a Swede” or “Hacerse uno el sueco” is “Playing dumb” or “pretend not to have taken notice of things you actually know perfectly and decide to ignore anyway.”

We all are victims of stereotyping. For example, as I was preparing my last reply, I googled "typical swede," and found this, written by a Swedish blogger:

Ake Daun, a professor of ethnology at Stockholm University have written a book; Swedish mentality (1989) which is a gold mine for someone interesting in this issue. He has examined how the Swedes are perceived by other nationalities and come up with the following:

Swedes are perceived as chilly and distancing. Many of those who responded to the survey say that they have great difficulties to understand the Swedish temperament. The Swedes are also perceived as “socially closed” and “spiritually empty”. And because they are often quiet they are also perceived as smug!

In another study done by the Swedish National Board, immigrants from Chile, Iran, Turkey and Poland expressed laudatory words about equality, solidarity, freedom and sound regulatory. The only thing they had trouble with was just the Swedes! Their opinions about the Swedes was: “heart is missing” sluggish mind”, “cowardly, cold, shy people, and lack of close encounters”.

He also goes on to discuss "unwritten laws" for etiquette in Sweden (and really, I think such things should be printed up and published as guides for travelers), including:

The Swedes do not show their feelings in front of strangers if it can be avoided.

You should not be different or think that you are better than anyone else in any way.

Don’t look directly at another person in an elevator or on the subway.

Do not say “Hi” to a stranger.

Do not take a seat in a location next to a Swede on the bus, theatre or subway if there are seats available anywhere else.

Learn how to stand in line properly!

(Most of these have to do with the Swedes having a very large "personal space" as opposed to other nationalities.)

Someone else says that Swedes REALLY like to plan ahead - if you're having a party, it's rude not to let your friends know at least 2 weeks in advance.

Now, all this is NOT to say that Americans travelling abroad really give the best impression of our country. After all, most travelers abroad are "tourists," an epithet despised in every country, even our own. (Just listen to New Englanders talking about the Mid-Atlantic and Southern "Leafers" sometime.)*

*Leafers are people who travel up north in autumn to watch the leaves change color.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Everybody stereotypes everybody. In Spanish “be a Swede” or “Hacerse uno el sueco” is “Playing dumb” or “pretend not to have taken notice of things you actually know perfectly and decide to ignore anyway.”

We all are victims of stereotyping. For example, as I was preparing my last reply, I googled "typical swede," and found this, written by a Swedish blogger:

Ake Daun, a professor of ethnology at Stockholm University have written a book; Swedish mentality (1989) which is a gold mine for someone interesting in this issue. He has examined how the Swedes are perceived by other nationalities and come up with the following:

Swedes are perceived as chilly and distancing. Many of those who responded to the survey say that they have great difficulties to understand the Swedish temperament. The Swedes are also perceived as “socially closed” and “spiritually empty”. And because they are often quiet they are also perceived as smug!

In another study done by the Swedish National Board, immigrants from Chile, Iran, Turkey and Poland expressed laudatory words about equality, solidarity, freedom and sound regulatory. The only thing they had trouble with was just the Swedes! Their opinions about the Swedes was: “heart is missing” sluggish mind”, “cowardly, cold, shy people, and lack of close encounters”.

He also goes on to discuss "unwritten laws" for etiquette in Sweden (and really, I think such things should be printed up and published as guides for travelers), including:

The Swedes do not show their feelings in front of strangers if it can be avoided.

You should not be different or think that you are better than anyone else in any way.

Don’t look directly at another person in an elevator or on the subway.

Do not say “Hi” to a stranger.

Do not take a seat in a location next to a Swede on the bus, theatre or subway if there are seats available anywhere else.

Learn how to stand in line properly!

(Most of these have to do with the Swedes having a very large "personal space" as opposed to other nationalities.)

Someone else says that Swedes REALLY like to plan ahead - if you're having a party, it's rude not to let your friends know at least 2 weeks in advance.

Now, all this is NOT to say that Americans travelling abroad really give the best impression of our country. After all, most travelers abroad are "tourists," an epithet despised in every country, even our own. (Just listen to New Englanders talking about the Mid-Atlantic and Southern "Leafers" sometime.)*

*Leafers are people who travel up north in autumn to watch the leaves change color.

Atleast up here in the more northen parts (northwest) people can be really unpleasant.

An example: This winter I saw a guy that was stuck with his snowmobile. I drove up and asked if he needed any help, the response was a look of death and the words: "Do I look like I need fucking help?!". So what he wrote is true for northwest sweden (mostly anyway). If you go northeast people are just as friendly as ever.

Now this is how I see it, people from other countries may find all of us to look pissed off when we walk by. Most of us doesnt even say "Hi" to our neighbours. Alot of my teachers could very well be serial killers.

"Life sucks sober!"

It seems that the phrase "Americans are stupid" is getting popular these days. In my country a bloody lot of people hate the Americans. Starting with "Americans put their pets into the microwave" leading to "USA plans to invade every country for oil and/or other natural resources". The truth is, most of the people in the world don't really know anything and have no idea what's what.

People are idiots. :lol:

And no I'm not excluding Americans.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

OMG, only been away for a few days and it seems like the US and Sweden have nearly had a war over Poland already!

Regards

Yeah, and why shouldn't they? It's a great tradition to fight wars over Poland for diminuitive reasons (farmland, cities "being historically ours", world domination... you get the idea).

But for what it's worth: I'm more than a bit put off by the way a single (in my eyes exaggerated) complaint about a badly chosen (though generally legit) term derailed to people basically going "Your people are stupid"-"No, yours are"-"Ain't"-"Are"-... I mean, get your act together; there's no point in simply throwing insults and stereotypes at each other.

Anyway, the first step to overcome your stereotypes is to acknowledge, that you have them. Obviously, you got there. Go on, then.

Best,

Simon

I've never once regretted being a nasty, greedy, cold-hearted, avaricious money-grubber... conservative.

MY PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!!!

How do Americans feel about an American opinion?

We somehow managed to get someone who had lied about virtually everything all the way through his campaign into the Presidency, and then allowed him to pass an unconstitutional bill, and try to censor everything we see or hear.

Show me where that doesn't paint Americans in general as idiots.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

We somehow managed to get someone who had lied about virtually everything all the way through his campaign into the Presidency

Isn't that how it's always done?

Regards

I'll post on this thread no more because I'm affraid I may hurt someone's feelings who will think I'm dumber then he is by not using propper grammar and not being born in US. Also I know how ppl can get mad/sad/angry et cetera whenewer war is mentioned. Esspecially WWII so... I'll shut up now.

T.T

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

"Look at any particular country in monkeydom. The proportion of lower to higher intelligence levels will be pretty close world wide. There are proportionally as many 'stupid' people in Britan or Germany or France or India or anywhere as there are in the USA.

However....America has a lot of people - Nearly 313 Million People... So obviously there ARE definitely more stupid people in the US than any other country in the west. It's mathematics."

---courtesy Jason Carter, the guy who played Marcus on "Babylon 5"

"Look at any particular country in monkeydom. The proportion of lower to higher intelligence levels will be pretty close world wide. There are proportionally as many 'stupid' people in Britan or Germany or France or India or anywhere as there are in the USA.

However....America has a lot of people - Nearly 313 Million People... So obviously there ARE definitely more stupid people in the US than any other country in the west. It's mathematics."

---courtesy Jason Carter, the guy who played Marcus on "Babylon 5"

+1 (if I still could that is)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

and not being born in US.

I think this is the best point in the thread.

I'm going to lock this thread because it definitely became more heated than it should have.