Call of Duty

I tried playing MW1 a few days ago for the hell of it. What was the big difference I noticed? MW1 is a clusterfuck. if you have more than 24 people on you may as well just chuck a grenade at re-spawn because you aren't lasting long. Every map is a whoring of campers and it was just severely stressful. in MW3, the player limit (at least on console, can't say for pc) has been chopped down to a healthy size, maps were designed with reduced camping (you can still camp but for the most it's designed to allow other methods to reach the campers.) You can actually PLAY at an enjoyable level instead of spawn, chuck grenade, die, rinse/repeat for 10 hours.

It may have some imbalances still but it's a fuckload more user friendly than it was before.

Sure you're not describing MW3? Because I played the free weekend and that sounds just like my experience with it.

But if you play them extensively, doesn't that mean you still enjoy them somewhat?

Not at all, I played them so I could confirm they were shit and have basis for calling it shit when I'm told it isn't shit. Why do you think I played DNF.

Opinions. Opinions, everywhere.

It's not an opinion that the SP is incredibly short. It's an MP game at heart.

The story is about as long as most games released today. You can't honestly say CoD is the ONLY one doing this.

A quote that stuck with me from my first E3 that came from a lot of developers:

"We have a solid 6 hour story campaign and an innovative multiplayer aspect!"

And the CoD booths/viewings were not ones I attended.

And I've played quite a lot of MW3 online. I have yet to be spawncamped even remotely as much as I did in MW1.

Retired Forum Moderator

I gotta hand it to Axel though, at least he's actually played the games rather than basing his opinion on the views of others, even if I disagree with him.

This is true.

Retired Forum Moderator

MP is still unbalanced

I tried playing MW1 a few days ago for the hell of it. What was the big difference I noticed? MW1 is a clusterfuck. if you have more than 24 people on you may as well just chuck a grenade at re-spawn because you aren't lasting long. Every map is a whoring of campers and it was just severely stressful. in MW3, the player limit (at least on console, can't say for pc) has been chopped down to a healthy size, maps were designed with reduced camping (you can still camp but for the most it's designed to allow other methods to reach the campers.) You can actually PLAY at an enjoyable level instead of spawn, chuck grenade, die, rinse/repeat for 10 hours.

It may have some imbalances still but it's a fuckload more user friendly than it was before.

Of course its gonna be a clusterfuck if you play on 40 player servers, doesn't need a genius to figure that out. But you know what, there is more than one server.

And campers is a very weak complaint that apparently every CoD player likes to use. If you can't deal with campers than you are simply bad, don't blame it on others. You have multiple area affecting weapons at your disposal to deal with a camper. Real campers are basically free kills(that is someone who actually stays in the same place for the whole game, people that stay stationary but tactically change locations are just smart players).

And yeah I haven't played MW3. But I haven't hear anyone point out anything drastically new about the game either, in fact I have mostly heard MW3 players complain about all the bad stuff that hasn't been removed. But if you want to dismiss all my arguments based on that, fair enough.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"We have a solid 6 hour story campaign and an innovative multiplayer aspect!"

WOW! I DO WONDER WHERE THEY GOT THAT MINDSET FROM!

Of course its gonna be a clusterfuck if you play on 40 player servers, doesn't need a genius to figure that out. But you know what, there is more than one server.

No kidding I've been through the list. High player servers: grenade spam, low pop servers, 3 people run around, the rest grab a corner.

And campers is a very weak complaint that apparently every CoD player likes to use. If you can't deal with campers than you are simply bad, don't blame it on others. You have multiple area affecting weapons at your disposal to deal with a camper. Real campers are basically free kills(that is someone who actually stays in the same place for the whole game, people that stay stationary but tactically change locations are just smart players).

I think camping is a rather legit complaint when you join a server and every single bush on the map has some guy in prone with a LMG just waiting for 1 of the 3 actually moving players to appear. And yes, obviously area effect weapons are good against them but not much gets done when attempting to deal with 1 camper, 3-4 are waiting elsewhere to make sure you don't. I'm not talking about high pop either., I joined an 18 player server to see that about 14 of them had their own comfortable little bushes, Angled neatly at spawn points. No bushes to hide in? plenty of cozy dark spots to snipe from and never move. Someone discovered my location? that's okay, I've got plenty of claymores for the ONLY opening to my lair.

And yeah I haven't played MW3. But I haven't hear anyone point out anything drastically new about the game either, in fact I have mostly heard MW3 players complain about all the bad stuff that hasn't been removed. But if you want to dismiss all my arguments based on that, fair enough.

I was like that once. I spent the better half of the last few months hating on MW3 because all I ever heard from people was exactly what you heard: complaining. Then I actually played it, and I realized what a lot of that complaining was blown out of proportion. As I said before, there are a lot of things still the same, but there are things they have fixed and just because some people want to only pay heed to what didn't get attention does not mean that these fixes don't exist.

In fact, back to the camper note, my Maya instructor is an admitted camper(to which I jokingly give him crap about all the time). When I was talking with him during break a few weeks back, I pointed out how the level design now seems to take into account ways to flank campers and he even agreed that he's had a lot more trouble finding spots than in previous games, because there always seems to be a blind spot.

And honestly man, if you mold your opinions solely off that of others and not your own experiences, you're just asking for trouble. I can vouch for that personally.

I find it funny that people use the "nothing fixed" argument, and when I point out fixes, I'm suddenly complaining. Ever get that feeling you're never gonna win? Yeah I have that.

Retired Forum Moderator

I think camping is a rather legit complaint when you join a server and every single bush on the map has some guy in prone with a LMG just waiting for 1 of the 3 actually moving players to appear.

a lot of that complaining was blown out of proportion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm so sorry for using obviously nonserious exaggeration to invoke the mental image of often getting killed by light machine guns from bushes, which happens more so than I'd like to count.

And what I meant by "out of proportion" was that people were taking small insignificant matters and making them out to be some huge game destroying issue. Like for example, someone at my school was complaining about the removal of some speed perk or something and how he can no longer play and that MW3 was now a shitty game because if it, thing's like that.

Retired Forum Moderator

I'm so sorry for using obviously nonserious exaggeration to invoke the mental image of often getting killed by light machine guns from bushes, which happens more so than I'd like to count.

And what I meant by "out of proportion" was that people were taking small insignificant matters and making them out to be some huge game destroying issue. Like for example, someone at my school was complaining about the removal of some speed perk or something and how he can no longer play and that MW3 was now a shitty game because if it, thing's like that.

You have a perk that gives you increased sprint though.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

"And what I meant by "out of proportion" was that people were taking small insignificant matters and making them out to be some huge game destroying issue."

Which is what you are doing by complaining about camping in CoD4.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So you're going to ignore all the other valid points over one statement that happens to appear as a contradiction to you.

sigh...

I'm done here.

I would have thought it clear that the whole point of everything I was saying is that they actually FIXED broken aspects of the multiplayer but I guess not. So allow me to provide the "for dummies" version:

THEY FIXED SOME BROKEN ASPECTS OF THE MULTIPLAYER.

Retired Forum Moderator

So fixes are worth 60 bucks?

Just to be sure, the "for dummies"-version:

THEY ARE SELLING A RESKIN + MINOR FIXES FOR 60 BUCKS!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly I'm on Rarity's side here. MW3 isn't a bad game just because it's very similar to earlier games.

Just like Tomb Raider/Dynasty Warriors/Street Fighter/Assasin's Creed/Mario/Zelda games aren't bad because they're very similar to earlier games.

OWAIT. YEAH THEY ARE.