Supersampling AA on DX10/11 on Radone 7000 cards

Sign in to follow this  

I can't stand playing a game without anti-aliasing. For me, having a game on high without using AA defeats the purpose of using the high setting.
I'm with you 100%, for me AA is one of the best things ever to happen to 3D graphics.

That's what FXAA is for... 1-3 FPS drop for very decent AA...
It's definitely a boon to the industry, due to its compatibility and its speed, but I'm really hoping things just don't stop there. The big problem with FXAA is that the coverage is uneven. In some areas it's as good as high-end supersampling, but in other areas of a scene, it may as well not be turned on at all. So for me personally, it makes my eyes call attention to areas that aren't getting smoothed out, because my brain is filtering the ones that are. That said, MSAA + alpha texture SSAA is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Due to the sheer amount of incompatible shaders, deferred rendering, or flat out incompatibility, their coverage often won't work at all on many modern games. Nowadays I feel like things are moving towards varying degrees of supersampling (which takes a ton of speed no matter how you slice it), or shader-based solutions (FXAA, MLAA, SMAA, etc.), and that's it. It's also huge divide between the kind of power you need to achieve either method too. So your options are pretty much a shader based solution with negligible speed drops, or else an absolute powerhouse to get full SSAA.