What should the reputation system be?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should the reputation system be?

• Same as it is now
    • Post-based ONLY
    • Post-based and user based (reputation and thanks)
    • Reputation should be mod-only
    • Post ratings (funny, dumb, useful, etc)
    • Post ratings and user ratings (as above)
    • Other (please post)

All of this because of one post:
I'm gonna give -1 reputation to everyone who posted here, for testing purposes.

viewtopic.php?p=49612#p49612

ha ha, that was a headshot in your own head I think ;p You should stop threatening people for rep.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

It doesn't matter, really xD I never took it seriously, and neither should you, it's just a joke. And it wasn't a lot of people, we don't even have that many active users, it was like 2 or 3 members that did all the -rep. Way to much time on their hands

It doesn't matter, really xD I never took it seriously, and neither should you, it's just a joke. And it wasn't a lot of people, we don't even have that many active users, it was like 2 or 3 members that did all the -rep. Way to much time on their hands

I know. And really, you're a nice guy so it's all very undeserved.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

It doesn't matter, really xD I never took it seriously, and neither should you, it's just a joke.

The problem is, from your post there was no way of knowing and I've known people who very well would have done exactly what you said you'd do, sadly. It means that if someone posts something like your post that isn't serious, it's impossible to tell.

Still, people mass-negative repping you is just as bad if not worse. Hopefully there'll be some way to limit/moderate the reputation system in the future.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Still, people mass-negative repping you is just as bad if not worse. Hopefully there'll be some way to limit/moderate the reputation system in the future.

Oh yeah, these -82 looks really scary. Especially on a forum

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

The reputation system is supposed to be there to show who the helpful/friendly/nice members of the community are to everyone else. Be a nice helpful person, and you'll get reputation. If the system gets abused though, it becomes meaningless.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

The reputation system is supposed to be there to show who the helpful/friendly/nice members of the community are to everyone else. Be a nice helpful person, and you'll get reputation. If the system gets abused though, it becomes meaningless.

In other words, I have to go through, and +rep all your posts?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The problem with a reputation system is that people have their own reasons for awarding it (whether negative or positive). You can give person A +rep for harassing person B if you (person C) don't like person B, to name an example. Alyx has a very high reputation, which to me seems to just reflect the gargantuan posting rate, if rep reflects post counts then it is pretty much redundant and we might as well ditch it.

I think this system is doomed to fail without further regulations, I could go as far as suggesting only staff can award reputation, it is their job to be reasonable, unbiased and level-headed.

Like I said, the messages are coded, but they haven't been added yet. Some point later today I'll add it. I'll also add the ability for mods to view a users reputation received, and undo it. Even change it manually if a lot has been done, and punish rep-spammers accordingly.

I'll also add a timer, so if "User A" has quite a few posts and "Some Idiot" hates him, he can't go through and mass-negative him.

Also, keep this thread on topic (saying it again).

I've also reset that guys reputation... I think I might send out a warning to those who repped him more than twice.

Either way, rep should be given for posts, not for users. If you can't stand someone, I'd keep it off the forums instead of mass-repping someone.

And last I checked, there's no rule against having a high post count as long as you're not spamming. So far no one has complained about me making spam posts, which leads me to assume I haven't made any.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

What about making rep awards post-specific? So if member A finds member B's post helpful or in any other way rep-worthy, only once can s/he award a rep for that particular post.

What about making rep awards post-specific? So if member A finds member B's post helpful or in any other way rep-worthy, only once can s/he award a rep for that particular post.

That's already how it is actually. You can't give more than one rep per post, both negative and positive.

Nevermind then. I thought it was user specific since the -/+ is in the profile field, not the post area.

I think there should be a limit for the rep points you can give in 1 day, maybe 3 or 4 so people rethink when they're about to give one... I've seen it on other forums and works way better than unlimited rep points for everyone...

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Actually, the best rep system is no rep system. Just have a little bar across the bottom of each post with button icons like "Agree", "Disagree", "Helpful", "Polite", "Inappropriate", "Off Topic", "Dumb", etc... Allow only one vote per post, and have it stay with just that post, not the account.

I think there should be a limit for the rep points you can give in 1 day, maybe 3 or 4 so people rethink when they're about to give one... I've seen it on other forums and works way better than unlimited rep points for everyone...

I second that...

Good idea, I'll do it.

I'll also add/code a "Thanks" system for posts, I can't see why not.

Also @BTG you've been on face[punch too much :P

I think we should set up a poll on the future of this system... But we need some way of users telling if a user is trustworthy or not...

Also @BTG you've been on face[punch too much :P

?

Never heard of the place... That's just the system my site uses, and it seems to be working perfectly.