What should the reputation system be?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should the reputation system be?

• Same as it is now
    • Post-based ONLY
    • Post-based and user based (reputation and thanks)
    • Reputation should be mod-only
    • Post ratings (funny, dumb, useful, etc)
    • Post ratings and user ratings (as above)
    • Other (please post)

Also @BTG you've been on face[punch too much :P

?

Never heard of the place... That's just the system my site uses, and it seems to be working perfectly.

Well it appears Garry lied to me, oh well (he said he came up with the idea).

I think there should be a limit for the rep points you can give in 1 day, maybe 3 or 4 so people rethink when they're about to give one... I've seen it on other forums and works way better than unlimited rep points for everyone...

I second that...

I'll also add/code a "Thanks" system for posts, I can't see why not.

I've seen that in other forums, mostly tech support forums ''This user has been thanked x times'' yeah, it'd be nice.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Also @BTG you've been on face[punch too much :P

?

Never heard of the place... That's just the system my site uses, and it seems to be working perfectly.

He might have... When did he "come up with the idea"?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

He might have... When did he "come up with the idea"?

Whenever he opened facepunch, but we're going off-topic now.

I'm busy today, I have to optimise phpBB because of the high CPU load, and I have to finish off something else I'm doing as well.

I've posted a poll (or I'm about to if you read this THAT quickly) about what the reputation system should be.

This is no longer funny, I have not many any insulting posts or anything of that sort, but people keep giving me -rep.

I voted 'other' because whilst what I want might be close to saying that it would be the 'same as it is now', I have further suggestions.

To moderate rep, admins and moderators should have the ability to revoke a user's rep privilages (ie prevent them from giving/taking rep) if they have been seen to be abusing the reputation. It would be helpful if staff could view in a user's profile who has been giving them rep, to confirm abuse. It might also be useful if someone has abused the rep system, for staff to revoke individual rep given/taken in a user's profile, to remove spammed/abused rep and restore their profile to normal. Perhaps it might work kind of like the post approval/disapproval system.

In relation to profiles, it would be nice if users could see who has repped them, and the reason.

In relation to that, being able to write a short summary of why you are giving/taking rep from someone would be a great way of letting them know what they're doing right/wrong in the eyes of the community.

In addition there should be a limit for repping the same person. ie, say, you cannot give/take rep from the same person twice with 30 seconds/1 minute.

I realise there are a fair few suggestions here and I have no idea how hard they'd be to implement, but I think they're worth considering.

This is no longer funny, I have not many any insulting posts or anything of that sort, but people keep giving me -rep.

I agree with you.

I also agree.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I chose mod-only, as that was what I had suggested before. But most of the others are better than the current system.

Post ratings and user ratings (as above) - yeah

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Post ratings only was what I clicked, and didn't notice until after I voted... I meant "Post ratings and user ratings (as above)"... If a mod/admin could change it, that would be much appreciated...

[EDIT] NVM: this is the first site that has allowed me to change my vote myself...

Ok, so the post rating system was my idea, so I'm obviously voting for it...

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Re-vote is awesome if you change your mind or misvote.

Indeed.

Every post says 'This post has: likes!'

I'm guessing this is a bug.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Every post says 'This post has: likes!'

I'm guessing this is a bug.

My guess is they are about to implement a like system.

Yeah, but I'm having a weird problem.

Why do we have two reputation threads?

Whenever he opened facepunch, but we're going off-topic now.

I'm busy today, I have to optimise phpBB because of the high CPU load, and I have to finish off something else I'm doing as well.

I've posted a poll (or I'm about to if you read this THAT quickly) about what the reputation system should be.

That's why...

Never mind, I feel incredibly stupid for not noticing the new sticky. My bad.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."