FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 43

Bronies? What are they talking about? The only thing I can see is that Freeman was expressing relief at it being 20 degrees cooler down the manhole shaft. Am I missing something?

20 degrees cooler/20% cooler. People are ridiculous. I'm a huge fan of the show and even I didn't even think of that. People need to chill out/

I suspect that most lines said by people these days can be considered a 'quote' from somewhere or a reference to something. There's so much media out there that there's bound to be cross-overs. If the original author of some media that apparently features references to other media says those references were NOT intentional, then they were merely coincidental. This really should be the end of it, I can't see how anyone can argue the other way from this. :P

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

"What does Marsellus Wallace look like?"

"He's...black...."

"Go on!"

"He's, he's, he's, he's bald...."

"Does he look like a helicopter?"

"....what?!"

(That's all I could think of when I was typing up the subtitles this round. :lol:)

"He's...black...."

"Go on!"

"....what?!"

(That's all I could think of when I was typing up the subtitles this round. :lol:)

:lol: great quote man!

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

"He's...black...."

"Go on!"

"....what?!"

:lol: great quote man!

I second that! :lol:

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Also, Ross, I am no means a microphone expert, but are you using a preamp with your microphone? My microphone was incredibly quiet until I started using one.

I did some Googling and found this page mention something about it with your microphone so it's possible it needs one: http://www.johnnyo.biz/samson-stage/

I recall with my microphone before I had the preamp my voice was incredibly quiet, and if I manually amplified it after recording something in Audacity, it would have a lot of background hiss. Preamp fixed it all.

I use this one myself: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MIC800.aspx

And this microphone: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vocal-Microphone-finish-Retro-Dynamic/dp/B0013NCY3Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1322058289&sr=1-6

Originally got it because I wanted to get in to voice acting, then ended up barely doing anything due to both background noise (family of 7!) and me not wanting to disturb people. >

Anyway, enough about me, hopefully this information may be of some use to you.

No, I probably should, I'm sure that would fix the default recording volume and possibly the hiss level. Would that affect the actual sound of the recording however? I amplify the recording after making it. What a few people emailing haven't understood is it's not the volume that's the issue, it's the way it SOUNDS. Your voice simply sounds different if you're talking in a loud voice vs. shouting. I really have no idea what's being affected there though.

Also, Ross, I am no means a microphone expert, but are you using a preamp with your microphone? My microphone was incredibly quiet until I started using one.

I did some Googling and found this page mention something about it with your microphone so it's possible it needs one: http://www.johnnyo.biz/samson-stage/

I recall with my microphone before I had the preamp my voice was incredibly quiet, and if I manually amplified it after recording something in Audacity, it would have a lot of background hiss. Preamp fixed it all.

I use this one myself: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MIC800.aspx

And this microphone: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vocal-Microphone-finish-Retro-Dynamic/dp/B0013NCY3Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1322058289&sr=1-6

Originally got it because I wanted to get in to voice acting, then ended up barely doing anything due to both background noise (family of 7!) and me not wanting to disturb people. >

Anyway, enough about me, hopefully this information may be of some use to you.

No, I probably should, I'm sure that would fix the default recording volume and possibly the hiss level. Would that affect the actual sound of the recording however? I amplify the recording after making it. What a few people emailing haven't understood is it's not the volume that's the issue, it's the way it SOUNDS. Your voice simply sounds different if you're talking in a loud voice vs. shouting. I really have no idea what's being affected there though.

I still think it's all because of a lack of preamp. If you know anyone you could borrow one from temporarily that may help. If not, the preamp I linked isn't very expensive (it's around £40) compared to others I've seen, and it seems to do a fine job for me.

I do honestly think it may fix all of your problems. However, if you want me to try and do a comparison with my own microphone with and without preamp to try and see if it's similar to what you're experiencing I can certainly try that (as in record and PM).

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I really liked the mosquito line, everything else great as usual.

Yeah, good quote for a t-shirt^^

"I thought I hated mosquitos...and then I met you!"

Fool me once: Shame on you. Fool me twice: EVERYONE DIES!!!

si·lence (noun): The sound people make, when everyone trying to kill you is dead.

Bronies? What are they talking about? The only thing I can see is that Freeman was expressing relief at it being 20 degrees cooler down the manhole shaft. Am I missing something?

20 degrees cooler/20% cooler. People are ridiculous. I'm a huge fan of the show and even I didn't even think of that. People need to chill out/

I see what you did there.

I don't know how people can jump from degrees to percents.

"Do not inhale fumes, no matter how good they smell."

I see what you did there.

I don't know how people can jump from degrees to percents.

a degrees sign is just a percent sign without the slash and second circle.

jokes aside i dont know how they made that connection either. really shows how many youtube viewers of FM dont read this site becasue Ross has stated before he isnt a pony fan.

Great episode, Ross! Once you find the time, you should try making longer episodes, maybe 12 minute ones so that things can go a bit quicker.

For the shouting, I think you may be able to edit the voice clips in an audio editor of sorts, maybe add some distortion or something. I recommend Wavepad Sound Editor by NCH Software. If you don't have it already, it has a free trial version with most of the features for an unlimited time, much much better than audacity. It has plenty of great effects and tweaks you can experiment with.

This is only if you're up for it and think you have the time of course!

"I'm not really the sentimental type, but.... well, no, I'm not."

"I think this is the first time in the past two days where a grappling hook wouldn't solve all of my problems."

Rico and me disagree.

just-cause-2-ps3-37278.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delacroix

Yes, we know Mister, yours is always the biggest.

"I think this is the first time in the past two days where a grappling hook wouldn't solve all of my problems."

Rico and me disagree.

just-cause-2-ps3-37278.jpg

But Freeman doesn't have a parachute, and to quote an earlier episode "Damn, this suit does not protect against gravity.

Anyway, good episode! I liked the moment when Freeman came to the conclusion that he was the most important person in the universe, because the canon Freeman kind of is, esp. in HL2, and it goes along with Ross's Freeman's narcissism.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

My biggest issue with this new mic by far is that it makes my shouting seem a lot less intense than it really is. Before you recommend a mic to me, I would like someone to explain exactly what properties of a mic would cause that to happen.

Well, I'm not an expert in this field, but it seems to me that the new mic processes the dynamic range in a different way, making everything sound quite a bit softer than it really is. I guess it was designed for singing rather than speech, so it hardly does any compression.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression )

Compression can easily be applied at the sound editing stage, of course. I even played with it a little in Audacity with the audio from this episode and even made a few samples how it sounds, but this forum doesn't allow me to post them.

There is another issue that unexpectedly blew my immersion at the point when the microphone got replaced: the sound quality is a bit too good for the rest of the audio. The voice suddenly stands out unrealistically, it doesn't seem blend too well into the audio environment of the game, at least for my ear that was conditioned by obsessive watching of the previous 42 episodes. That, too, can probably be fixed with some downsampling and distortion, but maybe it would be better to find an exact replacement for the busted mic since it has worked so well?

I'm surprised the Blue Snowball didn't work for you, I have one and I love it, but I've only used it a couple times, and I haven't really tested it in depth sooo...

"I hate computers! Why do they always blow up when I use them?"

But Freeman doesn't have a parachute, and to quote an earlier episode "Damn, this suit does not protect against gravity.

He doesn't need one to just grapple onto a low-flight chopper. And we assume he wouldn'¡t crash it, just land it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delacroix

Yes, we know Mister, yours is always the biggest.

I half expected freeman to go and scream Oh my god! Another one of those damn garage band players!

PS: I picked up the 20 degrees cooler refrence