Website issues and improvements.

There is no need to ban if we can prevent them from registering, which is exactly what the Q&A plugin is good at.

IP bans can potentially ban legit users as well so we should avoid that at all costs.

Do you know what the likelihood of banning a legit user is when IP banning? Less than 0.0001% decreasing exponentially based on your userbase... You aren't banning a range of IPs, just a specific one, which at most will ban a household. (unless it's a proxy IP, in which case they should be banned anyways)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

which is exactly what the Q&A plugin is good at

Well apparently not, because if it is we wouldn't have all this spam

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They haven't implemented it yet...

Yes it would help, but won't stop it altogether.

They haven't implemented it yet...

Yes it would help, but won't stop it altogether.

Oh okey, my bad then. Nothing will stop spam altogether because there is always someone else who will come and spam.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You aren't banning a range of IPs, just a specific one, which at most will ban a household. (unless it's a proxy IP, in which case they should be banned anyways)

Banning IP ranges would actually be useful, though. Banning individual IPs doesn't really do anything at all, spambots do not just come from the server of the firm that created them, they can also set up a base on a malware-infected computer. On the forum I administrate we had collected thousands of IPs in the banlist but there was actually a steady increase in spam over the months. Now 2 months have passed since we installed Q&A and there has not been a single spam post/registration since. The first thing we did after this success was clearing our IP banlist and things are still going as well as one could hope for.

The bots that are plaguing this forum are the exact same ones that plagued us on the other forum. They got small avatar and fill their profile with the most unlikely jobs and other info. If the other forum is any indication of the future for this one then we will have to prepare to ban several of these every single day, and that is just the ones that post, the majority of bots we cleaned out after installing Q&A actually never posted but only registered. You could imagine the horror when looking at the member's list. . .

I have noticed some spammers recently, get rid of them.

I haven't seen a single topic report. Why don't you contribute instead of complaining?

He probly gets to them after someone else does... If a post has already been reported, it can't be reported again by anybody else. (at least that's what's been happening for me)

anyone else getting message: "Sorry but the board is temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes."

i'm getting it allot.

I see it's getting to suprised me less then two/three weeks ago. Good job, whatever you admins do. And I still don't see my "see active topics button" ):

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

The spam topics are coming quicker and quicker. Don't get me wrong, they get removed fast. But i am pretty sure it is all 1 guy. And i actually support the IP-ban on this one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

quiet grave is no longer a moderator?

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

Appears so...

Appears so...

Did he broke something?

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Yes, there is a reason. Just for the sake of being polite you guys should probably leave it at that.

Yes, there is a reason.

Oh, he was too much like me... That answers that...

Ok, I take it back, he wasn't as bad as me...

Now, when are we getting that "Forum Unavailable" message removed?

Now, when are we getting that "Forum Unavailable" message removed?

You know, it's been a couple of days now since I got a "Forums Unavailable" message... I don't know if anything's been changed, but seems to be working better.

Also, Ross posted on the Civil Protection section today, and said he was preparing to change hosting provider shortly. I hope that helps to finally stabilize things.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Just got 3 spambot threads... When are we gonna get those fixed? (I have the knife and scissors, nice dull and rusty, need someone else to castrate them though)

Yeah, there is way to much spam. I reported a bunch already but everyday there are like 10new threads.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The most recent ones have plenty of nips in their avatars...