Website issues and improvements.

Still would be nice to have a max quality 100x100 jpeg but meh, aesthetics.

I doubt anyone notices with a 100x100 image. I sure don't.

Depends on if you're using more than 256 colors on that 10000px image...

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I swear there used to be a link in a user's profile to 'search for more posts by this user' or something like that. It seems to have vanished.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I swear there used to be a link in a user's profile to 'search for more posts by this user' or something like that. It seems to have vanished.

Search was being abused by bots. It was causing us major problems. We've had to disable searching for now.

so do you guys know what is messing with the forums and causing the issues with loading? i know its out of your control but i'm curious.

so do you guys know what is messing with the forums and causing the issues with loading? i know its out of your control but i'm curious.

I'd guess it was the bots...

Just put a box that you have to answer a question each time you do a search, that fixes the bot problem.

Just put a box that you have to answer a question each time you do a search, that fixes the bot problem.

+1 (what the hell happened your rep?)

In addition to that, make sure the answer of the question isn't in google's search results if you were to search the question on google

+1 (what the hell happened your rep?)

In addition to that, make sure the answer of the question isn't in google's search results if you were to search the question on google

I want to get the lowest rep possible, so my rep is reversed... If you like what I post, give me -rep... lol

Most of the question boxes used for search features that I've seen rotate between a selection of 5-25 different questions. Then it doesn't matter if the questions are found on Google.

I'm assuming that the CPU load on the serverbox that we're on is nearing 100% usage.

phpBB automatically disables the board when this happens.

I'm assuming that the CPU load on the serverbox that we're on is nearing 100% usage.

phpBB automatically disables the board when this happens.

Think someone can fix that...?

I think someone edited some code they shouldn't have,

Admins, I'd recommend installing a new version of phpBB in another folder, and making it reference the same database after installation, then renaming this current phpBB folder to something like oldforum63463 (so it can't be accessed), then renaming the new installation to forums.

If it's not a coding error (causing too many SQL requests for example), then the forum simply needs a better server.

But that said, the most users ever online on this forum is 45, and there are currently 13 online.

There's just no way that is too much for the server to handle, which is why I'm leaning towards heavy coding edits being the cause of the problem.

It's always a good idea to ask over at phpBB.com, support from them is prompt and free.

I want to get the lowest rep possible, so my rep is reversed... If you like what I post, give me -rep... lol
You're gonna have to beat the -100 I had for a while

The disabled search is really annoying for me, it is actually the reason why I have nearly stopped participating in the forums. Don't really feel like going through all the sections to see if theres something interesting (used to click the "View New Posts" link).

The disabled search is really annoying for me, it is actually the reason why I have nearly stopped participating in the forums. Don't really feel like going through all the sections to see if theres something interesting (used to click the "View New Posts" link).

Never noticed the "view new posts" link, I always look for the last poster in the thread and if it's different from the one I remember, I check it out.

EDIT: I keep getting the "Sorry but the board is temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes." message, but not as often as a couple of days ago. Any idea why this is happening? If this is a problem caused by bots, wouldn't disabling anonymous access to the forums help? If it was caused by a modification in the code, wouldn't the fresh install recommended a few posts back be the best course of action?

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

I just noticed that it seems to lock up more often the more people that are logged in...

Check the max server load setting... That was the problem on my hack site a while back, had it set to 5, which is way too low...

Never noticed the "view new posts" link, I always look for the last poster in the thread and if it's different from the one I remember, I check it out.

EDIT: I keep getting the "Sorry but the board is temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes." message, but not as often as a couple of days ago. Any idea why this is happening? If this is a problem caused by bots, wouldn't disabling anonymous access to the forums help? If it was caused by a modification in the code, wouldn't the fresh install recommended a few posts back be the best course of action?

Please bring back the "view new posts", "view active topics", and "view your posts" link. Like Raicuparta here, it's kinda hard for me to become active without those links. I guess I'm a bit lazy at searching forums.

I would like to suggest forum spoiler tags, for people posting spoilers.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I would like to suggest forum spoiler tags, for people posting spoilers.

I second this.

Thirded.