Website issues and improvements.

I honestly don't care for the style that much... It feels like going from the W7 Aero interface to the W8 Metro interface... Almost all the shading is gone. Actually, after looking and comparing between the current style and the proposed, I could feel some minor eye strain coming on with the new style that immediately went away when I looked back to the current.

The human eye and brain isn't used to solid colored unshaded surfaces. It just doesn't happen in nature. The background is nice, but it either needs to be darker, or a dark grey. (that color just doesn't seem to match the feel of the forum)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

There aren't that many styles available for the latest version of the forum software this site uses, unfortunately. The current theme hasn't been updated in years. Here's another option, I did some quick modifications to the colors to make it match the grays and oranges of the current theme.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-22%20at%209.33.31%20PM.png

Forum browsing with read/unread threads.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-22%20at%209.39.15%20PM.png

Topics.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-22%20at%209.39.28%20PM.png

That one definitely looks a lot better. It'll still have the same topic status icons like forum_unread_subforum.png right?

the name's riley

That one definitely looks a lot better. It'll still have the same topic status icons like forum_unread_subforum.png right?

Yeah. It's the same, just with different icons.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-22%20at%209.39.15%20PM.png

That is a decent replacement, though I will still miss the shading and complete lack of eye strain.

I meant to ask if you were gonna keep the old icons. I have a few other questions, will the user titles and rep system still be there and will the maximum size for avatars increase at all (to maybe 150x150 or 200x200)?

the name's riley

Neither user-specified titles or reputation have extensions that are being actively developed for phpBB 3.1. The modifications used with the current forum to add those features haven't been updated in years. This is a pretty serious security risk; it makes upgrades incredibly difficult. Most likely, the answer is no. As for maximum avatar size, I don't see why not, I guess it'd be up to Ross.

Edit: custom titles are actually something that can be added with a feature built-in to phpbb :v okay yeah those can be a thing

Is 3.1 a relatively new version and people just haven't been developing for it yet? Cuz if not then I'd guess a rep system is just not desired on many forums.

Retired Forum Moderator

I know the rep system on the American McGee forum was removed after a bunch of misuse.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Neither user-specified titles or reputation have extensions that are being actively developed for phpBB 3.1. The modifications used with the current forum to add those features haven't been updated in years. This is a pretty serious security risk; it makes upgrades incredibly difficult. Most likely, the answer is no. As for maximum avatar size, I don't see why not, I guess it'd be up to Ross.

Edit: custom titles are actually something that can be added with a feature built-in to phpbb :v okay yeah those can be a thing

I can live without the rep system personally since it was being a bit abused when it was in use. I ended up with insanely lots of rep and poor Bullseye ended up with a TON of negative rep and even sought it out...

But having custom titles is awesome.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Rep systems are double edged. On one side it encourages users to make more constructive posts but on the other hand it can lead to hurt feelings and even cause people to refrain from posting in fear of losing rep.

Retired Forum Moderator

I've never actually properly used a rep system. Are there any effects of getting upped or downed?

Also, are these custom titles ones we can create, or are they more like ranks for post count? I liked that a lot in previous forums.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

I've never actually properly used a rep system. Are there any effects of getting upped or downed?

Also, are these custom titles ones we can create, or are they more like ranks for post count? I liked that a lot in previous forums.

I liked the rep system because back when we had it, it sorta encouraged that whole "quality over quantity" thing for posters. It didn't do anything in particular, but you could find out why people did or didn't like what you said.

4b2be27815.png

Though I will admit it isn't exactly necessary, I do think this place can handle it, so long as Alyxx's rule #3 is enforced.

And yes, user titles were customizable.

As long as I can eventually upload an avatar and customize my profile, then I'm cool with any theme.

Personally, I'd say let's put the UCP issues at the forefront, and then worry about themes later. One's broken, one's not.

Just my opinion, though.

Thing is, the theme itself is for an outdated version of this site's software, that's gonna have to change and the reason we have for worrying about it is making sure the forum still looks nice.

the name's riley

The ones for post count 'reward' people for spamming. I am against it in general. Unlockable colors for the title based on post count would be good though. (or even specific title banners)

The ones for post count 'reward' people for spamming. I am against it in general. Unlockable colors for the title based on post count would be good though. (or even specific title banners)

I feel like if you make it to a certain amount of posts you should get some sort of unlockable colour for your username so when you do post something your name wouldnt be like everyone else, but it shouldnt be something too crazy but it should still be in reach of some, and personally I am on the fence or in the middle of the see saw/teeter-totter as it were when it comes to something like that, and with banners it should be something to go with that same sort of idea but it should be unique for an example (I was on a gaming forum that was more based on GTA Gaming) and they had it so when you made it to 1000 posts you were known as a Kingpin on the forum (since thats level 100 in GTA online) and youd get your username to be in red.

again I still think it would need some serious work to do something like that but if you have say 5000 posts you should be maybe the rank of Gordon Freeman or something, idk just a thought

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

and personally I am on the fence or in the middle of the see saw/teeter-totter as it were when it comes to something like that

As am I.

again I still think it would need some serious work to do something like that but if you have say 5000 posts you should be maybe the rank of Gordon Freeman or something, idk just a thought

There are 8 of us on the forums that have higher than 5k already, and none of those are Ross... Ranking would have to have levels that go up to around 20k just for starters I think, and yet still be customizable.

Custom titles in white.

Non-custom, unlocked titles in unlockable colors. (you get to choose the color, but only non-custom titles can be in color)

Though that would likely be extremely complex to write a web script for, and would probly require fully custom programming.

i think it would for sure BTG but at the end of the day its a forum...who cares really....it has its issues but it doesnt mean it isnt bad

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."