Website issues and improvements.

but we'd need to change themes, as this one hasn't been updated in /ages/.

Problem is, people grow attached to interfaces over time... Changing the design in any way could result in applause, or derision. Yet maintaining the layout could be next to impossible with the new phpbb...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

If the layout of this forum gets completely changed, I will cry for days. XD

I at least want the colour scheme to stay the same... The black, grey, orange, white.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

The fading greys starting lighter at the top,and going darker at the bottom... Makes it so things don't feel so damn flat like I see so commonly on other forums.

There are few things that are vital for me in a forum layout - clearly seeing which threads have new post and which are the ones I already posted in. Everything else - I can adapt, like Alyxx said...

Oh, and yes - keep the colours, please!

Regards

I don't mind a new theme. I'll miss this one, but 5 years is a really long time for one theme to stick.

the name's riley

I'm unsure if this has been raised before, but is there a way of making links in forum posts open in a new tab? Of course you can right-click, but it feels like this should be a standard website feature...?

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

I'm unsure if this has been raised before, but is there a way of making links in forum posts open in a new tab? Of course you can right-click, but it feels like this should be a standard website feature...?

I don't know if there's a way to do it on the actual forum... But middle-clicking a link also works! :D If you have a scroll wheel that is - on your mouse.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

You know, my mouse doesn't do that for some reason. I know I can change the functions on my wireless mouse though, maybe I should start using it again..

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

I don't know if there's a way to do it on the actual forum... But middle-clicking a link also works! :D If you have a scroll wheel that is - on your mouse.

Control (Ctrl) and left click does the same thing in at least Chrome and FireFox if middle button doesn't play ball.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people

Quick Bug: When I try to change my profile details, I get only white screen and changes just won't save (tested on Chrome, Edge, IE)

Yeah yeah yeah. X3 It's not a quick bug. We've had it for months now, and it's a pain in our asses. We're trying... So hard. For now, forget the UCP exists. XD Thank you. Sorry.

-------

Yeah yeah yeah. X3 It's not a quick bug. We've had it for months now, and it's a pain in our asses. We're trying... So hard. For now, forget the UCP exists. XD Thank you. Sorry.

I'm a web developer (among other things) and I feel like the white screen we're being blessed with on some but not all profile update pages is likely due to an server side configuration error that is being suppressed from being displayed. If it's a 500 error then you'd need to look through logs... but if it's a phpBB error then perhaps it's already caught it and is attempting to let you know what's going on but debug mode isn't enabled. Nor should it be on a published, live site.

I have no idea who is responsible for the forums since I'm a newb here so I don't want to be "that guy who doesn't know his place" but I've fixed errors like this on a nearly daily basis for over a decade. I used to run a fair few rather popular gaming sites (anyone remember MGON? Quake3Center?) back in the day and I'm familiar with both phpBB and WordPress, though I prefer Joomla if WordPress can be avoided.

If you could send me an error log from the server I'd be happy to go through it to see if it's something simple, it often is. Alternatively if you enable error display via enabling debub mode in phpBB on a duplicate of the phpBB installation (on a duplicate database) then it would at least narrow it down. I feel like it's a file permissions error on a form that includes any sort of file upload, perhaps there's a disparity between the maximum filesize upload in phpBB and the php.ini upload limit on the server itself, perhaps it's a case of going through the upload directory 9espeically if there's a temporary directory used) and making sure you've got CHMOD correct on everything. I've had issues in the past with getting 500 errors on file upload due to the temporary folder not having the correct permission for the server to actually move the completed upload. It seems like when I don't upload a file the page goes blank rapidly, but when I'm uploading a file it waits for the upload to complete before going blank, that leads me to suspect that it's something happening after the upload script has run but before the next scripts gets a chance to run... so in those cases I check the scripts for errors (debug mode) and then move on to permissions. It's possible that an update to phpBB is not compatible fully with some installed extensions or integration in to the blog.

I'm aware I may not be adding anything to the existing talent behind the site or saying something that hasn't been said before but I dusted off my old avatar and I'd quite like to start using it again! Also I like to feel helpful.

EDIT: I forgot to mention earlier: one of the most easily overlooked permissions problem is directory permissions. You can have your files all done properly but if your upload directory, and any associated temporary directories, are not 777 then you're gonna have a bad time too.

The best person to speak to about this would be Lord Sinister. I recommend you PM him:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=118

X3 He's the one handling it all and getting it sorted out. So get his attention and that would be grand!

-------

The best person to speak to about this would be Lord Sinister.

Done and done! If I can help out even a little then that would be great.

Okay, I need to know what this board's policies are on conspiracy theories, because IMHO we should ban those espousing conspiracy theories. Here's a very recent example:

did you know about the kid from Ohio who was taken from his home in the middle of the night by Feds and his parents found out he was gone and had no idea where he was? that was from the NDAA the kid was 12 years old and from what I heard about it, there was a kid at his school whose father worked for the State Department and then word traveled fast since the kid didnt like obama and said if I could take this country over I would and I would make this country better, well from what i heard he was sent to an internment camp run by FEMA and about several months later was shot dead

I think you're just looking to find ways to restrict people on this forum.

Conspiracy theories quite frequently are based in reality, and many are proven at a later date to have been 100% correct. (example: all of the Snowden revelations about NSA activities)

As far as rules goes, the main thing is: "Don't be a jerk". Just because somebody is saying something you don't agree with, doesn't make it ban worthy. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Nobody is forcing you to respond, nobody is forcing their views onto you. As long as I don't see name calling, insulting, or degradation, it's fine.

-------

As far as rules goes, the main thing is: "Don't be a jerk". Just because somebody is saying something you don't agree with, doesn't make it ban worthy. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Nobody is forcing you to respond, nobody is forcing their views onto you. As long as I don't see name calling, insulting, or degradation, it's fine.

Pretty much this.

This board has always been a more open ground for beliefs and discussions, with a lot of leniency to varying opinions and stances. Conspiracy theories, while often based on 'evidences' that cannot be definitively proved at the current time, are still a belief (while not strictly religious or political in nature, a belief none-the-less)and not one I think we should be policing.

You are not required to believe any conspiracy just because it's been stated nor are you required to participate in the discussion of one. People seem to forget that neither the amount a topic has been discussed, nor how adamant the topic starter seems to be on the matter tie into the truth of the topic in any way.

And I would like to point out clearly: Being a jerk to anyone who happens to believe a conspiracy IS in violation of the rules and WILL be dealt with.

Retired Forum Moderator