Website issues and improvements.

Uh, we got another spambot mods, something about latino toy boys or some such. Just wanted to let you know

Best not to reply to it.

Reply? I ain't even gonna view it

1. More smileys which includes the disapproving eyes. ಠ_ಠ

2. Up the image size to at least 512kb

3. Fix the "The board is temporarily unavailable" error.

No one needs that kind of limit, jpg compression is there for a reason. If you feel the need to upload an oversized image then just upload to an image host and use img tags.

Doing 2 would possibly make this even worse. Bandwidth is not something you can take for granted.

No one needs that kind of limit, jpg compression is there for a reason. If you feel the need to upload an oversized image then just upload to an image host and use img tags.

I think he's talking about for the avatars... Right now we have to use a 256 color GIF in order for it to meet the file size requirement. (and that's just barely meet for mine, and I'm at significantly less than the maximum number of pixels used)

Doing 2 would possibly make this even worse. Bandwidth is not something you can take for granted.

Bandwidth is not what's causing the error. (unless you're getting 500+ people constantly you'll never have bandwidth issues on a forum)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The current limit seems to be 16.74 KBs, to me that is more than enough considering the max dimensions are 100x100. With such a small image you can also get away with higher compression without the artefacts being visible. My avatar uses almost the entire allowed area (97x100) but only weighs 4 KBs.

The filesize limit is an odd number though. I'd say either move it down to 16 KBs or up it to 24 or 32, just to look classy.

I don't mind the avatar file size limit. Anyone with Photoshop these days can make a decent 100x100 gif avatar that's less than 10 KB in size. Just look at mine.

Regarding the error message, I have no idea what causes it. I'd make a guess and say it's a server issue though.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

The current limit seems to be 16.74 KBs, to me that is more than enough considering the max dimensions are 100x100. With such a small image you can also get away with higher compression without the artefacts being visible. My avatar uses almost the entire allowed area (97x100) but only weighs 4 KBs.

The filesize limit is an odd number though. I'd say either move it down to 16 KBs or up it to 24 or 32, just to look classy.

Your limit may be 16.74KB, but mine gave errors when I did a 15KB .jpg...

Only the most recent news post is linking to it's forum thread.

All the rest just go to "The requested topic does not exist.", fix please.

It is not fair if moderators get a higher limit, I would suggest the admin normalizes it.

But you do not need a higher limit, increase the jpg compression, with such a big file and small dimensions you either have a very complex picture or you are using excessive quality number (92 or higher).

It is not fair if moderators get a higher limit, I would suggest the admin normalizes it.

But you do not need a higher limit, increase the jpg compression, with such a big file and small dimensions you either have a very complex picture or you are using excessive quality number (92 or higher).

I have CS5, and even a small amount of quality loss is very apparent in the 100x100 rez pics I would use.

I guess the forum avatar file size could be raised a little bit.

Both Lord Sinister and I have avatars larger then 16 kb.

I guess the forum avatar file size could be raised a little bit.

It wouldn't need to be a lot, just like 30KB would be perfect since that would then allow for any maximum quality 100x100 jpegs to be used.

even a small amount of quality loss is very apparent in the 100x100 rez pics I would use.

Can you back that up objectively? Right now I really have no choice but to assume you are letting the placebo effect play tricks on you, like with the self-appointed audiophools who think they can always hear the difference between 320k mp3 files and the CD sources.

That stuff aside, it really wouldn't be too dramatic to increase the size limit a bit. Most people would not end up using the extra space any ways.

who think they can always hear the difference between 320k mp3 files and the CD sources.

Unless you're bass deaf, there is a major difference in the extreme frequency ranges. (you also have to have decent speakers/headphones to produce said frequencies at audible levels)

Aside from a few problematic situations where the encoder falls flat, the psychoaccoustics fool the casual listener perfectly, including my healthy, non-trained pair of ears. I don't use mp3 files but occasionally I encode one of my lossless files for fun with LAME 3.98.2 and I have yet to hear any difference with a side-by-side comparison. Our frequency response is not very wide and even less so when we only take the most sensitive ranges into account, a lot of data can be thrown out without anyone but the most trained ears noticing. This opens up a lot of options for fooling people, and I really feel sorry for those who buy all the snake oil circulating in the audio market.

But that wasn't really the main part of my post, let's try to focus on the avatar images, I did ask you a specific question.

Aside from a few problematic situations where the encoder falls flat, the psychoaccoustics fool the casual listener perfectly, including my healthy, non-trained pair of ears. I don't use mp3 files but occasionally I encode one of my lossless files for fun with LAME 3.98.2 and I have yet to hear any difference with a side-by-side comparison. Our frequency response is not very wide and even less so when we only take the most sensitive ranges into account, a lot of data can be thrown out without anyone but the most trained ears noticing. This opens up a lot of options for fooling people, and I really feel sorry for those who buy all the snake oil circulating in the audio market.

It depends on the music and the speakers/headphones you use as to whether it is even possible for the frequencies to be produced. (as I already mentioned) So what song did you use, and what speakers/headphones do you use?

But that wasn't really the main part of my post, let's try to focus on the avatar images, I did ask you a specific question.

To me it is extremely visible. It will vary with different monitors and different eyes, but it physically strains my eyes when I know what the image is supposed to look like, and it doesn't look that way when I see it.

I can name two ideas right off the bat:

1) Either increase the posts per page considerably or make this optional for each user. I feel most comfortable with 50, but I even choose 100 when available.

You can do this yourself, it's in the Mod controls.

Common users can't, I don't think.

The modvision only works in the MCP though, as far as I know. I can set posts per page to whatever number I want but it won't get saved and used outside the MCP.

The modvision only works in the MCP though, as far as I know. I can set posts per page to whatever number I want but it won't get saved and used outside the MCP.

Oh, I'd never used it. I guess you're right.