GTX 480 too hot!

Sign in to follow this  

I need some idea's on how to cool this card down it hit 100'c yesterday

the card is rated to 105 Celcius

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-480/specifications

but these temps make my balls sweat and I need to be comfortable while gaming

I can't find any aftermarket coolers either so I need to be creative!

Model is

EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-1480-KR&family=GeForce%20400%20Series%20Family&sw=

Any Idea's

Well, if you wanted to be super creative, you could always take it apart and fix a CPU cooler to the GPU. I've seen it done, but that's way too much work in my opinion. Another option, which is entirely dependent on your case, is to play around with fan placement. Unfortunately, that EVGA card probably isn't cooling as efficiently as it could in a standard case (rear blowers like that work best in cases with rotated motherboard trays).

Just out of curiosity, what kind of temps were you getting before and what's your ambient temperature? It's possible that the card might be having problems that the EVGA warranty may cover.

^

http://www.overclock.net/t/1203528/official-nvidia-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-mod

Along the lines of what he said.

You could also buy a PCI slot fan to help knock down the temps.

Or if you are cheap, just punch out extra metal panels on the front or back for more airflow.

Or you could underclock the card a bit, just to lay off the processor. I have a gtx460 and have never seen it break 90C

"Do not inhale fumes, no matter how good they smell."

I'd rather be mildy annoyed than have a $200 card melt.

When you have noise cancelling headphones, you really can't give less of a shit about the noise even if you tried.

When you have noise cancelling headphones, you really can't give less of a shit about the noise even if you tried.

I concur! I have a noise cancelling headset. The only draw-back is people... Yeah I can't get that one sorted yet until I have a desk in my room... A big shiny desk to fit into my tiny but cozy room... Yeeeeeaahh.

I just... I don't even...

I concur! I have a noise cancelling headset. The only draw-back is people... Yeah I can't get that one sorted yet until I have a desk in my room... A big shiny desk to fit into my tiny but cozy room... Yeeeeeaahh.

That feeling when I finally moved my PC into my own room....

"Life sucks sober!"

When I run GPU optimized BOINC jobs on my computer, I can hear it from across my house. My parents have dubbed it "the hairdryer".

i had my pc sitting flat on it's side and it was hitting 100Celcius without the fan

dscn0728cn.jpg

But when i turned the pc right side up again the card never goes above 75 Celcius without the Delta fan?

Why is this, is it more difficult to dissipate heat when your pc is flat?

i also managed a overclock of

Core 700 -> @825

MEM 1848 -> @1900

When I run GPU optimized BOINC jobs on my computer, I can hear it from across my house. My parents have dubbed it "the hairdryer".

Reminds me of my hp laptop. It really sounded like a small jet, you could hear it if it was 2 floors below..

"Life sucks sober!"

i had my pc sitting flat on it's side and it was hitting 100Celcius without the fan

dscn0728cn.jpg

But when i turned the pc right side up again the card never goes above 75 Celcius without the Delta fan?

Core 700 -> @825

MEM 1848 -> @1900

It might be the card and how it cools. I know some coolers are better suited for some situations than others. For example, reference cards with rear blowers perform better in cases with the motherboard rotated 90 degrees than they do in traditional cases. Of course, it's possible your case handles cooling better when oriented in a conventional way, too.

dscn0728cn.jpg

Core 700 -> @825

MEM 1848 -> @1900

It might be the card and how it cools. I know some coolers are better suited for some situations than others. For example, reference cards with rear blowers perform better in cases with the motherboard rotated 90 degrees than they do in traditional cases. Of course, it's possible your case handles cooling better when oriented in a conventional way, too.

It could also be that the heatsink for the GPU is vapor or liquid style, and those change their cooling efficiency depending on orientation...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

dscn0728cn.jpg

Core 700 -> @825

MEM 1848 -> @1900

It could also be that the heatsink for the GPU is vapor or liquid style, and those change their cooling efficiency depending on orientation...

This too, silly me for neglecting to mention it.

Replace the GPU's thermal paste. They often place too much, and a not so great one. I reccoment Artic Silver 5. Be wawre that removing the heatsink will probably void your warranty (well, it does with XFX).

Other than that grab a brush and remove all the dust from the heatsink, and everywhere in your PC. Airflow is critical as well. I've been able to drop 5°C in CPU temp just by removing all the dust covers. lol

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs