Black Mesa Mod

Sign in to follow this  

I think a funny time to switch over would be when you get the hornet gun... like everything goes white and suddenly everything looks different and there's a bug attached to your arm XD

although I like the idea of staying source.

Oh, my, THANK YOU, Ross. I thought the same thing, and made a thread about it, only to have everyone disagree with me and rep me down. I would probably not watch the series anymore if it was changed, since it takes the classic feel out of there.

''Oh, god, my profile name is real mature''

We'll the original series with Half-Life: source is still going good and hasn't lost it's touch, with that in mind I don't think it's a good idea.

I just... I don't even...

There releasing Xen later, like next yearish, maybe if they finish be fore you get there you can switch? Sounds perfect to be there's at least 5 excuses for it.

There releasing Xen later, like next yearish, maybe if they finish be fore you get there you can switch? Sounds perfect to be there's at least 5 excuses for it.

Like?

And he better not. Black Mesa Mod looks amazing but it would kill the retro feel and comedy of FM.

''Oh, god, my profile name is real mature''

That depends (the comedy part anyway), we have yet to see the new Xen. Then again I'd love to see how Gordon knows where to go and what would convince him to do all that platforming.

By xen, Gordon will probably feel like he is the only one who can save our existence so he will feel obligated to save humanity, or maybe just himself and saving everyone else is just a desirable side effect, so pushing his way through the crazy world could be a funny exploration. Gordon wandering around floating rocks just like any other area with Ross providing great commentary is what I expect.

BTW, extracting black mesa now. I am CRACKLING with excitement!!

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

I will be playing when my computer desk is up. So after all this time, hopefully its worth it. Anyone else wish they would of continued with the Black Mesa podcasts ?

I've played the first 20 minutes or so of it..exploring before the test chamber part. I love it, and I keep hearing Ross's reactions to things in my head when they use the same dialogue. :lol:

I've played the first 20 minutes or so of it..exploring before the test chamber part. I love it, and I keep hearing Ross's reactions to things in my head when they use the same dialogue. :lol:

I've played up to right after the resonance cascade and i've done the same thing. I replayed Freeman's Mind quotes in my mind throughout playing it. I just smile. It's so funny.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

Black Mesa sure is something, but I'll tell yea, it's not exactly Half-Life...

Played all the way up to Residue Processing yesterday. I'll say it's impressive and has a good fun factor, but it's a lot slower paced than what it's based on and a lot of the weapons are severely nerfed. As an example, in Half-Life, the MP5 was a versatile weapon you'd always feel comfortable using, with a high rate of fire and plenty of ammo. In Black Mesa, it's just a crappy modern FPS weapon, with a decreased ammo and reserve capacity, plus it never seems to hit its intended target. I was down to only 17 bullets by the end of Blast Pit and I found myself killing grunts with the magnum 75% of the time. Oh, and it's firing sounds suck Bullsquid.

But I won't complain too much, it is just a free mod after all.

A Kung-Fu Master, Thomas and Silvia were suddenly attacked by several unknown guys.

]Black Mesa sure is something, but I'll tell yea, it's not exactly Half-Life...

Played all the way up to Residue Processing yesterday. I'll say it's impressive and has a good fun factor, but it's a lot slower paced than what it's based on and a lot of the weapons are severely nerfed. As an example, in Half-Life, the MP5 was a versatile weapon you'd always feel comfortable using, with a high rate of fire and plenty of ammo. In Black Mesa, it's just a crappy modern FPS weapon, with a decreased ammo and reserve capacity, plus it never seems to hit its intended target. I was down to only 17 bullets by the end of Blast Pit and I found myself killing grunts with the magnum 75% of the time. Oh, and it's firing sounds suck Bullsquid.

But I won't complain too much, it is just a free mod after all.

If it REALLY bothers you, you can change the damage (and probably other properties, but damage it the only one I know how to change) and you can change the sound back to the original Half-Life's. It's a lot of work for some small changes, but if it really bothers you, it's an option.

Also, while I don't support switching to Black Mesa this late in the series, I must admit, some of the dialogue would've been comedy gold for Freeman's Mind.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Also, while I don't support switching to Black Mesa this late in the series, I must admit, some of the dialogue would've been comedy gold for Freeman's Mind.

Yes, there are some situations with great potential. But there are also a lot of things different / missing so that some of Ross' lines wouldn't be possible in Black Mesa.

I think if Ross would have startet FM now, with Black Mesa, we would still have loved it and we maybe would have thought that its funnier that way. But for the sake of continuity I still think it's the right descision so stick with HL:S.

btw, I think Black Mesa is a great game, it feels a lot like HL2 to me (which is my favorite part) and it is better than a lot of new games that cost 50 bucks.

Fool me once: Shame on you. Fool me twice: EVERYONE DIES!!!

si·lence (noun): The sound people make, when everyone trying to kill you is dead.

I am absolutely blown away by the quality of the Black Mesa mod. It would not work out if Ross decided to switch over, but I think it would be cool if Ross did one 30-second or so video of Freeman's Mind when he puts on the Alien hivehand weapon at the end of the tripmine maze. The hand movements in the mod of Freeman sticking his hand into the creature for the first time would be great with Scott's commentary!

I am absolutely blown away by the quality of the Black Mesa mod. It would not work out if Ross decided to switch over, but I think it would be cool if Ross did one 30-second or so video of Freeman's Mind when he puts on the Alien hivehand weapon at the end of the tripmine maze. The hand movements in the mod of Freeman sticking his hand into the creature for the first time would be great with Scott's commentary!

I think he should make a trailer for "Freeman's Mind: Black Mesa" and pick the moments from Black Mesa with the most comedic potential. That way, we can get kind of a glimpse of what FM:BM would've been like without Ross redoing the whole series (because I think we can all agree that redoing the series would be a waste of time).

And the Hivehand animation certainly has comedic potential.

I just played until a bit after the Resonance Cascade

(this is a spoiler for those who haven't played yet)

Visually it's great but the games is really, really choppy at some moments :/ I'm not sure why, but it seriously disturbs the gameplay

Some elements of the game (as much as they make it more real and logical) at the beginning, already exclude some funny comments, including "Am I the only person with a beard?" And that's a shame! ;)

As I said I enjoyed visuals sooo much! Especially these little things and details they added, someone worked a lot on these! And someone also made pretty bad voice acting, unless all the scientists are on drugs. This voice acting kinda doesn't feel like it would go well with Ross' voice.

In general, I'm just even more convinced that Black Mesa is NOT for Freeman's Mind as it is. But as a game, yeah! I definetly want to play it !

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I just played until a bit after the Resonance Cascade

(this is a spoiler for those who haven't played yet)

Visually it's great but the games is really, really choppy at some moments :/ I'm not sure why, but it seriously disturbs the gameplay

Some elements of the game (as much as they make it more real and logical) at the beginning, already exclude some funny comments, including "Am I the only person with a beard?" And that's a shame! ;)

As I said I enjoyed visuals sooo much! Especially these little things and details they added, someone worked a lot on these! And someone also made pretty bad voice acting, unless all the scientists are on drugs. This voice acting kinda doesn't feel like it would go well with Ross' voice.

In general, I'm just even more convinced that Black Mesa is NOT for Freeman's Mind as it is. But as a game, yeah! I definetly want to play it !

I agree completely. It wouldn't work well with Freeman's Mind, which in a way is written around the original half-life, not Black Mesa.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I agree on not switching over; while I am having fun playing it wouldn't work well with Freeman's Mind, especially so with a lot of the jokes having to do with have oddly designed Black Mesa is. Game is fun though, looks pretty and some of the lines were just great at the beginning.

While Black Mesa as a whole would not be good for Freeman's Mind, there are a few moments in the mod that i'd like to see Freeman's reaction to.