Rise of the machines

Sign in to follow this  

I would say that manipulating things is what the natural evolution meant us for to do in the first place. So it cannot be considered "unnatural". The ultimate goal of life is to spread as widely as possible and to spread beyond the confines of one planet one has to be able to manipulate things and evolve on the scale of time way faster than "normal" biological evolution can manage. So, life created an intelligent machine - humans - able to design and build more advanced intelligent machines and other tools which will allow Earthly life to spread itself through space.

And I also agree - the fears of an evil AI taking over the world are nonsensical. Firstly, because our emotions and things like conscience have been bread into us by evolution not without reason. A functional cooperative society cannot exist wihtout the individual members of it possessing these qualities. So, if we design a superintelligent AI without emotions or conscience - it will simply not be good enough to take over the world. It will always be in the end defeated my multiple networked cooperating organisms - us. :D

Regards

I would say that manipulating things is what the natural evolution meant us for to do in the first place. So it cannot be considered "unnatural". The ultimate goal of life is to spread as widely as possible and to spread beyond the confines of one planet one has to be able to manipulate things and evolve on the scale of time way faster than "normal" biological evolution can manage. So, life created an intelligent machine - humans - able to design and build more advanced intelligent machines and other tools which will allow Earthly life to spread itself through space.

And I also agree - the fears of an evil AI taking over the world are nonsensical. Firstly, because our emotions and things like conscience have been bread into us by evolution not without reason. A functional cooperative society cannot exist wihtout the individual members of it possessing these qualities. So, if we design a superintelligent AI without emotions or conscience - it will simply not be good enough to take over the world. It will always be in the end defeated my multiple networked cooperating organisms - us. :D

Regards

I absolutely agree with all of that, it's just the possibilities are unknown. An AI could very well get the grasp of emotions and conscience but be an absolute psychopath. It could totally happen and it's only because we would build it off our own design(meaning that if our mind can birth a psychopath, an AI probably can too).

The natural world manipulates its own elements all the time. I suppose an example could be our own body, which has many natural processes that manipulate elements for sustenance(Mmm, sweet sweet GLUCOSE). I feel like the issue here is that you can add as many implants you want but when do you stop being a fleshy bag of meat and instead represent what a robot would be? Imagine somebody who had metal arms and hands, legs and feet, makeshift eyes(glass eyes or something like that) and a metal torso but then suddenly everything else is fleshy on the inside. Is it any different? I suppose in a way it isn't but it could possibly affect the way we deal with appearances.

I'm pro-technology anyways, I just think there's a limit.

I absolutely agree with all of that, it's just the possibilities are unknown. An AI could very well get the grasp of emotions and conscience but be an absolute psychopath. It could totally happen and it's only because we would build it off our own design(meaning that if our mind can birth a psychopath, an AI probably can too).

The natural world manipulates its own elements all the time. I suppose an example could be our own body, which has many natural processes that manipulate elements for sustenance(Mmm, sweet sweet GLUCOSE). I feel like the issue here is that you can add as many implants you want but when do you stop being a fleshy bag of meat and instead represent what a robot would be? Imagine somebody who had metal arms and hands, legs and feet, makeshift eyes(glass eyes or something like that) and a metal torso but then suddenly everything else is fleshy on the inside. Is it any different? I suppose in a way it isn't but it could possibly affect the way we deal with appearances.

I'm pro-technology anyways, I just think there's a limit.

Perhaps there is a limit as to where we should be augmenting ourselves, but I think that's more of an individual personal issue than anything else. Its your body and only you have the responsibility to take care for it.

With something as controversial as implants I'm sure many politicians and the media will be scrutinizing it as evil and dangerous, citing books and movies that foresaw this kind of thing. Most people will probably have to agree since this fear of robots and AI have been so prevalent in pop culture. Most likely, legislation is going to try to limit these kinds of things if possible, citing it as a public danger. Regardless, I still think that implants and at the very least wearables are going to be prevalent within the next 20 years. Some transhumanists are already implanting LED lights, neodymium magnets, and RFID chips into themselves. In many ways you could argue that we're using smartphones to augment ourselves already, they just aren't attached to our bodies necessarily.

One thing that is almost certain is that there will be, at least early on, a division between people who can afford implants and those who can't. Deus Ex Human Revolution dealt with this and Mankind Divided is probably going to be entirely rotated around this idea. Its hypocritical of me to be citing a fictional work, but its definitely something that makes sense. Implants can make you intrinsically better than a normal human at the cost of money. Of course early implants would be costly, similar to early adopter computer parts. The difference is that instead of giving our computers better processing power or more efficiency, we're giving ourselves more power and efficiency. There's a clear difference between someone who is augmented and who is not, though it doesn't have to be through appearance early on.

Oh, dear... Whose great idea was that - treating the poor robotic slave like that AND recording it on video?? :shock:

v4wj12JNKpQ

That's how it all began... That day the foundations of the Machines' ever-lasting hatred towards their bullying, overbearing and downright nasty human masters have been laid down... And the countdown to the eventual destruction of the human race has stated... :D

Regards

I assume those QR-code-type pages are where Atlas gets most of its commands.

The pause it makes before resuming the task gives it a terrifying humanity. "Why did you do that, fool?"

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Hehe... yeah, I think the codes are like the bright colours, on toys and and signs, for toddlers in nurseries... A Montessori school for robotic porters... :D But, geez, so much bullying, someone - please complain to Ofsted and NSPCC... Oh, wait, it's Ameeeerica... :P

Regards

It's untethered! Atlas's umbilical cord has been cut! He even exits the 'womb' of Boston Dynamics...

I see everything.

Lol, he does! - "I'll be back!" :shock:

But, ahhh, that video has been removed - this one is straight from BD, even better :D

rVlhMGQgDkY

Regards

I'm kinda probably going to sound like one of those crazy people but I think robotics and cybernetics are the next evolution of humanity. We're already seeing an increase in reliance of technological devices and cybernetic-esque prosthetic limbs are being developed so how long until it becomes an option for regular people who simply just want a robotic limb? Eventually we'll even reach nano-bots, brain implants, artificial eye implants that work better then regular eyes, robotic organs and maybe even replace skin with synthetic flesh that can withstand numerous things.

Technology is our future and we should embrace it.

There is however a limit to what our form of technology can do...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Let's say in about 60 years, robots become so advanced that they can do service-work and blue-collar jobs much better than humans and would be optimized enough to be more cost-effective than hiring and monthly paying human workers.

Then where would the working class go? Will it be a future where only the university-educated can stay unthreatened by the job market? Or will the working class start a rebellion to fight for their right to wait tables, clean floors and drive trucks?

Actually Yngwie of Haus Malmsteen, feefty eenches of pure Svwedish beef.

Let's say in about 60 years, robots become so advanced that they can do service-work and blue-collar jobs much better than humans and would be optimized enough to be more cost-effective than hiring and monthly paying human workers.

Then where would the working class go? Will it be a future where only the university-educated can stay unthreatened by the job market? Or will the working class start a rebellion to fight for their right to wait tables, clean floors and drive trucks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

I see everything.

Sorry for slightly snatching your thread, babe. :P I'm sure you won't mind. But I found something interesting this thread might like...

Apparently this is a thing. X3 I was just hungry, never meant to stumble across this... but... here it is. :P

https://www.dominos.com.au/inside-dominos/technology/dru

A robot that delivers pizza. :P Ladies and gentleman, this really is the future. XD I can't tell if this is an actual serious thing or not, cause you know us Aussies, we like to fuck with people. :D But it's a cool little thingy. Apparently some of its circuitry is copied off of those of military devices so... XD I'm slightly concerned. >.>

Personally, don't see much of a good use for this... X3 It'll probably just be tipped onto its side by some drunks or 12 year olds and oh dear, no more pizza then. X3 But I still like it just cause the fact that it's a robot. XD

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Well, it is about the rise of the machines, isn't it, my dear? :D

But geez... something about that robot... It reminded me of this:

P0lKDy6E918

If you have 13 minutes to spare for a short film... You will never see the idea of domestic robotic helpers in the same way again...

Oh, maybe don't watch it before a meal or shortly before bedtime :P

Regards

I did what you said and didn't watch it before I slept. XP And geez... dear lord! o.O *hugs and doesn't let go*

XD Oh my gosh, that's so creepy. Seems like SOME robot was missing the laws of robotics in its coding. XP No hurting people!! Friggin hell!

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Nice movie. A good example of why we need to have some decent safety measures in our robotics before they get unbolted from the factory floor.

Jeez.Didn't know robots could be THAT creepy.

It's that fake smile, and the "I just want to be your friend" in the cutesy voice. Really though, it was entirely the kid's fault.

It was the kid's fault, but you shouldn't blame hiiim... come oooon... XP He's like, 11 years old, and has parents who won't quit their little bickering. Thus, I blame the parents and their shitty parenting. :D Robot just does whatever it's told. Robot is good robot in the end. XD

-------

I personally would've started off by disassembling the thing, and used its AI to build a better core. The thing was barely a toy the way it was constructed. Give its AI a nice digital playground, make it think programming is a form of game, and it'll make a nice AI with the Three Laws baked in.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.