Post what you're doing right now

Still recovering from the removal of my wisdom teeth.

the name's riley

Preparing to do weird things, like take a shower...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Scaring myself silly by actually doing the math on an entity in my own RPG system and contemplating the implications thereof.

So there are all these bodies, yea? They come in ten distinct classes, each 1/4 scale of the last. Well, the smallest and most common have a 6.25cm body with a single 6.25cm tail for a total length of 12.5cm and a mass of ~24g, so the largest (4^9 times scale of that) have a body 16,384 METRES long, and ten equal-length tentacles (obviously less thick proportionate to its mass than the tiny ones' tails) for a total length of 32,768 METRES and a mass of ~440 GIGATONNES. There's not just one of those, by the way, there's 100 of them. And each size down is 100 times as common, so those tiny little ones the size of a mouse? There's 100^10 of them, that's 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 or one hundred QUINTILLION of them. And remember how I said it was AN entity? Well, it is. It's all one huge hivemind spanning the entire galaxy capable of instant communication (through small-scale teleportation of low-energy signals), every one of its bodies has magical energy that it can use offensively and defensively, it's hyperintelligent to the point where it has processing power many times greater than that of our greatest supercomputer multiplied by the total number of computers on the planet, it has a limited ability to create and manipulate life, its still undeniable superiority to everything that ever lived has made it so vain, conceited and callous that it's morally beyond redemption, the conversion from a single mind in a single body to the massive hivemind with endless bodies has slowly driven it insane, and despite not being able to grow any larger or develop new powers anymore since its mind could not withstand another great schism, it wants to keep growing more powerful and it is still fairly clever about it despite its mind's lack of integrity and massive burden on that mind dragging it down.

Now imagine you live in this universe, where this thing, the Elder God, exists. Don't worry: Feelings of absolute hopelessness and crushing despair are normal.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

Ah... Cthulhu...

Trying to not get pulled into replaying the Terran Campaign of Starcraft 2 again, just because I think the power armor they use for all of their troops, and some of their vehicles is totally awesome. Oh, and trying to be tired enough to fall asleep.

Ah... Cthulhu...

It has nothing in common with Cthulhu. Physically it's more like the zerg, only a LOT more powerful. (Exterminating the zerg would be a tuesday for it.) And mentally, it has more in common with the Abrahamic god. (Fitting, as it created all in-universe not-quite-monotheistic religions, where it plays both sides in an effort to enslave mortals through religion. This hasn't been very effective in the locations found in the system, but it's still doing it so it must be effective elsewhere. Or time holds less meaning to it. Or it's very stubborn. Probably all three.)

Trying to make a couple unseeded torrents to download... Strangely enough, it's not working too well.

Completely re-writing regulator (the bodies of the Elder God) scaling in Change on account of the creators (their biggest bodies) being completely invincible.

The math says 6,553,000 health with a total DR of 213,192. Nuclear bombs would accomplish exactly nothing against its 430gt magically-reinforced bulk. And I mean NOTHING. A one megatonne warhead only does 10,000 damage and a one gigatonne warhead only does 100,000. With a max damage radius of 10km for the former and 100km for the latter, but that's not the point. Rewriting the formula, it's now 64m long and 3,000 tonnes, has 12,800 health and a DR of 616. That's still invincible as far as an adventurer is concerned, this thing would shrug off a bomb as strong as 200 tonnes as long as that soul barrier stayed up, but it's no longer completely invincible as anti-tank weapons and nukes can kill it. I think that's more reasonable, even if it is meant to be an "everybody in the campaign dies" option for the GM.

Oh, and for the record, I checked my system against NukeMap Classic and they're not very different in radius. 1t=100m in-system or 80m in NukeMap, 1kt=1km in-system or 0.74 in NukeMap, 1mt=10km in-system or 11.66km in NukeMap. The system is reasonably accurate here, assuming NukeMap is accurate. Which may not be the case, its radiation radius is certainly a crock of bullshit, but it's the best calculator I could find.

Wondering how to defeat Seattlelite's Eldritch Horror.

I think the best way to get rid of this thing would be to get it to fight another Eldritch Horror. The problem with that is twofold: finding a creature to fight this thing is going to be extremely difficult if they're rare, then there's the prospect of how exactly you get them to fight, they might join forces, ignore each other, or kill you outright. I'm going to find some SCP or GOC monstrosity to go kill this thing.

I think the best way to get rid of this thing would be to get it to fight another Eldritch Horror. The problem with that is twofold: finding a creature to fight this thing is going to be extremely difficult if they're rare, then there's the prospect of how exactly you get them to fight, they might join forces, ignore each other, or kill you outright. I'm going to find some SCP or GOC monstrosity to go kill this thing.

Good luck with that. When you find something that can take on an entire galaxy's worth of crazy deity, let me know.

Good luck with that. When you find something that can take on an entire galaxy's worth of crazy deity, let me know.

Well, 682 might be useable, but he's extremely unreliable. Possibly 055 if anyone knew what it was.

Well, 682 might be useable, but he's extremely unreliable. Possibly 055 if anyone knew what it was.

Okay, there's a slight issue. Let me explain.

Imagine 100 somethings. Now imagine one hundred times as many other somethings in addition to that. That's 10,100 somethings so far. Now imagine one hundred times as many as THAT. What you're straining to vaguely comprehend is 1,010,000 things. Do that seven more times. Notice how your mind completely failed to comprehend it AT MOST at the fourth or fifth of this total ten tiers? Well, if you had made it, you'd be envisioning 101,010,101,010,101,010,100 somethings. That's how many bodies this thing has. All of these have magic powers, nigh-invulnerability, regeneration, weaponized telepathy, can survive in space and have supernaturally massive physical power. I say again, good luck finding something that can beat that.

Imagine 100 somethings. Now imagine one hundred times as many other somethings in addition to that. That's 10,100 somethings so far. Now imagine one hundred times as many as THAT. What you're straining to vaguely comprehend is 1,010,000 things. Do that seven more times. Notice how your mind completely failed to comprehend it AT MOST at the fourth or fifth of this total ten tiers? Well, if you had made it, you'd be envisioning 101,010,101,010,101,010,100 somethings. That's how many bodies this thing has. All of these have magic powers, nigh-invulnerability, regeneration, weaponized telepathy, can survive in space and have supernaturally massive physical power. I say again, good luck finding something that can beat that.

Challenge accepted. 579.

Challenge accepted. 579.

Doesn't really say anything about it. At all.

Doesn't really say anything about it. At all.

That is true, although it's without a doubt something horrible. 343.

No proof 343 is actually omnipotent and not just a good illusionist, and if it really is not, I'll have you know that the elder god is immune to mind-affecting powers so illusions will be of no use.

No proof 343 is actually omnipotent and not just a good illusionist, and if it really is not, I'll have you know that the elder god is immune to mind-affecting powers so illusions will be of no use.

Again true, but he was implied to have wiped someone from existence. 169.

Don't see how 169 is a threat to a space-faring, galaxy-spanning deity.