Post what you're doing right now

Preparing to download Elite - Dangerous. I haven't been this excited about a game in so long. 1:1 scale galaxy here I come.

I hear the original Elite was able to render actual curved geometry rather than triangles pretending to be curves. I wonder if that would be less intensive for GPUs to render than a shit ton of polygons.

OT: Watching my boyfriend try to get all A+ ranks on Hotline Miami.

It could be, but it's a really complicated method that requires an entirely new original method of rendering and since a lot of models are just polygons, you're going to have to redesign the development of those, too. Considering that models are a series of very many dots with triangles being the best shape for them, this will be a giant undertaking that nobody wants to do because it needs money, space, and a large team of experiences developers or at least 2 John Carmacks.

Anyway, I'm heading off to bed while cursing at how my PC's audio dialog managed to get a memory leak from Adobe, causing everything to sound like shit. Still interested how it happened, though. I can see Premiere getting a memleak, hence why my PC has more RAM than Ross's, but audiodg? Reason for my RAM amount is... well, I have 12GB RAM, which helps with uncompressed video, and several hours of video in small files because of firewire issues. 29 minutes is just barely over 6GB, I think you can guess how much several hours of video is worth. So yeah, that's what I'm doing. I'm calculating how much RAM I need to feed my hungry crappy beast of a PC.

I hear the original Elite was able to render actual curved geometry rather than triangles pretending to be curves. I wonder if that would be less intensive for GPUs to render than a shit ton of polygons.

I'm not sure really. If you're rendering an actual legitimate curve you're taking a lot more into account that the system didn't have to with triangulated polygons(The math behind the curve itself and what not).

That and I don't think this game really needs it because despite being massive in size, there's never really too much going on on the screen all at once. I'm guessing they're getting away with re-using models for things such as stars to avoid having to load too many, and creative use of LoD's when something is in render range to keep the system running smoothly. The game I think is something like only around like 5 gigs(at least what I could find about it) so they're being pretty efficient with things anyways.

Still, true curve rendering has me intrigued. O_o

ANYWHO, eating dinner and reading while waiting on this download. Planning to play Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars with my friend when he gets online.

Retired Forum Moderator

I've been gone for yet another long stint and find myself back in the face of a newcomer! Hello there, K4_Kydure! Nice to see fresh meat on the forum :D

OT: wasting away the hours of the wee morning after a long night of gaming.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

I've been gone for yet another long stint and find myself back in the face of a newcomer! Hello there, K4_Kydure! Nice to see fresh meat on the forum :D

OT: wasting away the hours of the wee morning after a long night of gaming.

*looks at K4_Kydure's join date*

*looks at own join date*

Hi.

But, you've already knew about me.

OT: Trying to catch up on a lot of things.

Cursing how a sickness can literally just appear out of no where. 1 hour ago, fine. suddenly, fever, full body cramps, no energy, and the shakes. *sigh*

At least I'm getting flu now and not on my birthday again.

Retired Forum Moderator

Hehe. You guys and your winter. X3 I'm enjoying the beautiful summer here. Ice cream and fans and overall nice weather. Mmm. Feels good.

Currently wondering why I'm awake at 6am.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Trying to warm myself up from the cold.

Bleh, I still feel cold from being outside yesterday in -40 windchill temperatures.

To Americans, -40 for us is the same as -40 for you, there's no misunderstanding.

But, you've already knew about me.

Huh? I don't recall knowing about you ever before :|

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

Check the last three pages of the MLP thread. You've quoted me there before you went -poof- for a while.

OT: Absolutely nothing. Trying to find something to do.

You might not have had an avatar. I tend to not notice people or remember their names when they don't have avatars. Kind of a name-to-face thing.

Thinking about K4 talking about smut with her boyfriend...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.