Video Game That Would Make Great Movies

Sign in to follow this  

Psychonauts could be a good movie (a sort of cartoonish movie similar to the movie Coraline.)

LO3n67BQvh0

I agree with Alyxx on what she said about mw movie too.

ALSO, I'm debating Starcraft either being a movie or a tv series... Starcraft has alot of plot and it might be better for tv.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

I think any good game has the potential to be turned into a good movie. That doesn't mean anyone will step up and do the game the justice it deserves on the big screen, though, as quite a few films have sorely demonstrated. There's always potential, whether in remakes, movies based on books, TV shows, video games, et cetera, but most, if not all of it, will likely be squandered when transferred to the cinema.

The problem seems to be that the script writers and movie directors usually have no idea what is and isn't important for a game-based movie because they never played the actual game themselves...

Regards

Not only that but even if you use the same writers from the games, it won't necessarily be any good. Bare in mind that writing for a game and writing for film are two different things, just like how you can't easily translate a TV series script directly to film: the pacing alone would be problematic.

COURIER'S MIND: RISE OF NEW VEGAS

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2181

http://www.youtube.com/user/101Phase?feature=mhee

SEASON 5 WILL AIR IN SUMMER 2013!

I agree about the Mass Effect universe being turned into a movie would be awesome, but not so much the games themselves. I'm not really a big fan of this new movie coming out based on the first game because it's already very cinematicy and movie-ish on it's own. Honestly, I wanted to see a movie that showed the beginning of humanity finding the Mass Relays and the First Contact War instead of just jumping into the games. In fact I didn't want the movies and the games to intertwine at all. I wanted a Mass Effect movie to be a canonical part of the universe that doesn't affect, or shows the history of, the series. Like the novels. Something you can add TO the series, without redoing it. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it'll be awesome.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

i think the recipe for a successful machinima is a combination of Garry's mod with good posing and HAT tool skills, combined with the right addons, camera tools, face and finger poser, editing skills and use of NPCs. that and the use of the original game when special effects and/or scenes are not required. for instance, if i wanted to record a Day of Defeat battle, i would mostly use the game itself, and GMOD only for things like, say, tanks, special artillery effects, special ragdoll posing or animating, nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki, etc.

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: You just blow that fife

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: the 'if ye know what i mean' aside

Hooper: want to give your men a fast reload? BLOW ME FIRST

I must say I don't want any video game movies yet. until society sees social and artistic values in games, I don't think movies will be given any serious thought or respect. They will just put the title of the game on the movie and destroy the characters and universe the game had established. If the future holds more respect for video games then maybe I wont e so hesitant to get my hopes up for video game movies. I simply dot want it to be like the way that the book Eragon was interpenetrated on screen. Good movies most often need good funding and video game movies definitely rate as low budget (resident evil anybody?).

What your not crazy too?

I agree about the Mass Effect universe being turned into a movie would be awesome, but not so much the games themselves. I'm not really a big fan of this new movie coming out based on the first game because it's already very cinematicy and movie-ish on it's own. Honestly, I wanted to see a movie that showed the beginning of humanity finding the Mass Relays and the First Contact War instead of just jumping into the games. In fact I didn't want the movies and the games to intertwine at all. I wanted a Mass Effect movie to be a canonical part of the universe that doesn't affect, or shows the history of, the series. Like the novels. Something you can add TO the series, without redoing it. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it'll be awesome.

I think that goes for any deriative work.

Blade Runner is a good example of a decent movie licensed video game in that it takes place at the same time as the movie but from a totally different perspective and with a totally new story but technically in the same universe and time period as the movie. And it could go the other way around easily.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Something in the Stalker atmosphere would definetly make a good movie if done properly, with proper actors and budget. Just need to develop a character. Also Unreal and Deus Ex have very good potential to be a great movie.

Just avoid giving a license to that stupid german filmmaker who makes terrible movies from games.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

But Stalker game is itself based on a book - "Roadside Picknick" by Strugatsky brothers and there is already a movie based on the same book, called, er... "Stalker". Directed by Tarkovsky.

Regards

Yes, I knew that and it won a Cannes prize, but I want to see a modern version of the movie ;)

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

There's a part of me that would want to see an anime movie based on Catherine, but the game is pretty much a movie already. Then again, there's a Persona 4 TV show, so I don't see why not.

Max Payne, done in the style of Taken.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

A movie that would be amazing if done right but at the same time would be impossible to make is heavy rain. that game is one of the only games I have made a serious connection to. the best thing about it is that it is already cast as they used real actor's for the characters. Amazing game if you haven't played it go get get now you will not regret it

I just don't see the point of making a movie out of a game that is already pretty much like a movie. The thing about Heavy Rain is that it's an interactive movie where you can influence the plot. Making a non-interactive movie out of that would pretty much ruin the point of it.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Video games based on movies, as in playing out EXACTLY like the movie, are almost always crappy. Or are just plain uninteresting and stupid. There are exceptions to the rule, though, such as the Batman Begins game. It followed the movie's plot, but it showed some interesting things from the alternate POV. Such as how the hell did Batman do THIS in the movie? And it also follows the ninja training much more than the movie. But what I typically want from movie licensed video games is either a continuation of the tale, a prequel, or a story wrapped into the movie's story through a different character. Not the same story over again.

The thing with video game licensed MOVIES is that it can actually do the exact same thing as the game and be good. The problem with this, though, is that most video game movies suck. What I want, but won't happen, are video game movies based on the universe but during a different timeframe, you never see that in video game movies because it's a lot of work for something that's not even fully based on the game itself. The plan for the new Star Wars movies is a great example of this, though much different as Disney plans on making side-story movies based on different characters alongside the already-established Episodes.

But all in all, I really just want good entertainment. Period.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."