Ross for hire

And if one did, exactly what could they do to him? He doesnt own any copyright at all, and Valve gives content creators the right to use their copyrights. Machinima owns nothing.

As if some snitchy troll wouldn't rat Ross out. Stop encouraging Ross to do stupid things that'll get him in trouble and start figuring out how to actually take down Machinima.

Are we taking down Machinima?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making those SOBs pay for what they're doing to Mr. Scott, but how would we do it? Machinima is a pretty big organization, and sending them complaint letters is better than doing nothing, but I agree that it will probably accomplish little. If anyone hear knew Anonymous, maybe they could hire him/her to hack Machinima's site, and then when they've got it back under control, we'll send them a message with our demands and tell them their site will be attacked again if they don't do what we want.

Guess that's kinda Cyber-terrorism, but that's what this wait has reduced me to!!!

And if one did, exactly what could they do to him?

Sue him? Depends on what the contract says. Anyways, breaking a contract is always a bad thing.

He doesnt own any copyright at all.

How do you figure? Of course he does, it's an original work and he obviously signed a lot of his rights away to Machinima, what causes the problems right now.

Machinima owns nothing.

Bullshit. They have the rights that were assigned to them by contract. If they didn't, we would not have this situation right now.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm extremely skeptical of the legal precedent for stopping a man from making free videos which cannot be legally sold anyway, especially given the fact that it's basically Ross' voice over video game footage.

I would guess that the main obstacle to Ross would be that Machinima may have the funds to pursue this legally while he probably does not. If taken to court it's possible that it might turn out in favor of Ross, but without even being able to consult a lawyer, he could be in a severe bind.

This is entirely speculation, of course, but it's my best guess at the legal aspect of this scenario.

I'm starting to think that involvement with groups like Machinima may be an extremely bad idea for anyone who doesn't have access to a lawyer and whatever other resources needed to protect their work. I don't mean to be too critical of Ross here, I know that there are probably good reasons for becoming and staying involved with Machinima that are not obvious, but nonetheless this whole thing has raised several red flags for me.

I was a little surprised to see that other are suggesting Rooter Teeth as a possibility for Ross should he be interested in pursuing that.

I am perhaps biased since I adore RT, but couldn't Ross working with Rooster Teeth have massive benefits? Rooster Teeth could possibly get him more coverage than Machinima did. And Rooster Teeth is always hiring from the large pool of voice actors, writers, producers that have emerged in the machinima world. Plus, considering how widely popular FM and CP are, I have little doubt that if such a thing were to happen, that the two shows would make a lovely addition to the RT line up. Only if he has the rights to the shows, of course. This is all just pure speculation and wishful thinking.

And all those projects that Ross wants to do! He could do them since he would not have to worry about a budget constraint. An example is this. Monty Oum, the animator that created Dead Fantasy and Haloid, was hired by RT. After he busted his ass doing the fight animations for RvB, Burns gave Monty permission to do his own show, RWBY.

I'm not saying that Ross SHOULD go for Rooster Teeth or anything like that, but there are possibilities, yes? Honestly, I just want Machinima to get their heads out of their arses and let Ross post videos again. That is the easiest thing and the least amount of headache for Ross, I think.

"I am Captain Gordon Freeman of the Intergalactic House of Pancakes ordering you to open!"

Monty Oum was hired by RT. After he busted his ass doing the fight animations for RvB, Burns gave Monty permission to do his own show, RWBY.
The preview was awesome!

If it comes down to it, Ross, I will definitely spare a good $500 or so when the

need arises. I'd normally be able to do a lot more but I've been a little low the

last two months. Anyway, just hang in there and know we support you, yadda yadda.

I unfortunately wouldn't be able to pay you, not even a ha'penny an hour.

. . . .

Was that a BoB reference?

tumblr_lgp3ggd4VQ1qbl0ico1_500.gif

I'm sorry this is happening, what they are doing is a bunch of bullshit. Voice acting wise I know here in Cali at the Barnes & Noble they have a book of acting/voice acting calls in the magazine section but I don't know if they have it outside of here, =/ sorry.

Ross should do audio books. He's got an interesting voice.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"

But damn, why donate 3,000?
Actually $3,000 represents more money than all existing donations combined.

Wait. If you cant get them to talk to you.. why dont you just release the video?
Because there are consequences for releasing a video without having discussed this first. They're not UNWILLING to talk, they're just taking a very long time to establish communication with.

If I were to just release a video without any communication first, I'd say it's probable that my personal Youtube account would be flagged and taken down by Machinima. here would probably be a lag time on it too. If I discuss it first, then I can have a clear course of action for releasing future videos.

Bullshit. They have the rights that were assigned to them by contract. If they didn't, we would not have this situation right now.
It's more complicated than this. Again, it's a matter of communication. The rights aren't a clearcut thing, but I can say they don't own them all outright. HOWEVER, if I just start releasing new videos, communication at Machinima is such, that I think my Youtube account could get banned by ANOTHER department at Machinima not even in communication with the one I'm talking until the whole thing got resolved weeks / months later, creating a big mess in the process.

Also I've gotten some good voice acting offers so far, I'll be working on that until the Machinima.com mess gets sorted out.

Lurking on these threads the past few months have greatly impacted my view of machinima, but I do hope that it gets sorted out soon(through legal means).

Wait. If you cant get them to talk to you.. why dont you just release the video?
Because there are consequences for releasing a video without having discussed this first. They're not UNWILLING to talk, they're just taking a very long time to establish communication with.

If I were to just release a video without any communication first, I'd say it's probable that my personal Youtube account would be flagged and taken down by Machinima. here would probably be a lag time on it too. If I discuss it first, then I can have a clear course of action for releasing future videos.

It's more complicated than this. Again, it's a matter of communication. The rights aren't a clearcut thing, but I can say they don't own them all outright. HOWEVER, if I just start releasing new videos, communication at Machinima is such, that I think my Youtube account could get banned by ANOTHER department at Machinima not even in communication with the one I'm talking until the whole thing got resolved weeks / months later, creating a big mess in the process.

You mean they STILL haven't talked to you yet? It's been over a month, how could they have not found the time to establish communication let alone resolve the problem! If I sound furious, I'm mad at them not you, Mr. Scott, I just find it practically insulting that they can stop you from releasing videos and not even tell you why! How long are you willing to wait for these guys to get their act together and contact you?

You mean they STILL haven't talked to you yet? It's been over a month, how could they have not found the time to establish communication let alone resolve the problem! If I sound furious, I'm mad at them not you, Mr. Scott, I just find it practically insulting that they can stop you from releasing videos and not even tell you why! How long are you willing to wait for these guys to get their act together and contact you?

I suggest to check "Videos on hold" topic, where Ross answered more questions.

And no, they contacted him recently....

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

It's an annoyance for sure, but the alternative is just releasing videos now, then having my whole Youtube channel nuked on miscommunication a few weeks from now (I would assume) once they get around to everything. If I don't sound more outraged, it's because this isn't the first time for me that Machinima has taken a long time to get something done. I'm probably most upset that I was notified of the changes until a week before I could submit my last video in 2012.

30ihx90.png

Depending on donations or not, you take this 30 and do stuff with it. I don't require any sort of voice acting to be done and, living in the Netherlands, them t-shirts have some shipping costs to 'm. And the almost 6 hours of Freeman's Mind content you've created is worth the 30 bucks (well it's worth a lot more than that, especially since I've re-watched it countless times, but hey).

wow i'm not as rich as you but after seeing your generosity of donating $3000 i donated $1000 of my own :)

Reading all this dubious stuff about contracts and people actually giving away their rights to their own works, possibly without even realising it (although it could always be said that they should have read the terms they were signing up for), it's quite disturbing.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I was a little surprised to see that other are suggesting Rooter Teeth as a possibility for Ross should he be interested in pursuing that.

I am perhaps biased since I adore RT, but couldn't Ross working with Rooster Teeth have massive benefits? Rooster Teeth could possibly get him more coverage than Machinima did. And Rooster Teeth is always hiring from the large pool of voice actors, writers, producers that have emerged in the machinima world. Plus, considering how widely popular FM and CP are, I have little doubt that if such a thing were to happen, that the two shows would make a lovely addition to the RT line up. Only if he has the rights to the shows, of course. This is all just pure speculation and wishful thinking.

And all those projects that Ross wants to do! He could do them since he would not have to worry about a budget constraint. An example is this. Monty Oum, the animator that created Dead Fantasy and Haloid, was hired by RT. After he busted his ass doing the fight animations for RvB, Burns gave Monty permission to do his own show, RWBY.

I'm not saying that Ross SHOULD go for Rooster Teeth or anything like that, but there are possibilities, yes? Honestly, I just want Machinima to get their heads out of their arses and let Ross post videos again. That is the easiest thing and the least amount of headache for Ross, I think.

I'm also a huge fan of RT.

They do have a strong community that they allow themselves to be close to, and so far have been nothing but entirely benevolent towards their fans lol...

Ross should so go with Rooster Teeth. If only because I'd love to see "Red vs. Blue vs. Freeman". Even just for one episode, like April Fools day or something.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.