Human extinction

Sign in to follow this  

Of course, they are. Do you really think they will voluntarily exchange their lives of luxury for martyrdom?

Regards

The government has more than once stated that they will attack with nukes if they feel threatened by some enemy country, most recently after the United Nations agreed to punish them (yet again). Whether there is any ground under those threats they are alone in the world and I suppose their nukes and army help them live in blissful ignorance.

They are not alone in the world - they totally depend on China and to a much lesser extent on Russia. They also know where their Rolexes, champagne and pr0n DVDs are coming from...

Regards

Honestly, I feel more threatened by all the goddamn asteroids barely missing us (or in some cases, totally hitting us) than North Korea. And that's more an insult to them than a testament to my opinion on asteroids.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Honestly, I feel more threatened by all the goddamn asteroids barely missing us (or in some cases, totally hitting us) than North Korea. And that's more an insult to them than a testament to my opinion on asteroids.

There that's another scenario. some D-Day asteroids (1km in length) pass by without detection every year.

A 1-5km wide chunk of ice (asteroid) would have to hit at just the right speed and within 0.25° of the perfect approach angle... (I got this info direct from one of the guys tracking these things)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I never thought about it before, but what would be the affect of Climate Change? This is a Global Warming kind of change. I figure that Global Warming/Climate Change might inadvertanly cause a mass famine and turn some areas into an unliveable desert with horrible dust storms that worsen the famine, but overall I do not consider Climate Change to be too significant, as this is a worst of the worst case scenarios. Of course, I never talked about an Overpopulation crisis, witch would inadvertanly cause a famine and possibly kill us off. Then again, these both don't seem likely until about 30 years from now, and both will probably not result in extinction.

Indeed. I'd actually enjoy a time in a jungle, or in perpetual fog... Just not a long-term desert stay for me.

Actually, humans are far better adapted to live in dry hot environments (deserts in this case) than wet hot environments; it screws up our cooling system. I'd prefer the desert over the jungle any day.

Oh, neither of those 2 can start a global nuclear war. If they attack they will be quickly wiped off the map in retaliation and that will be it.

Only USA, Russia and China can have a sufficiently large scale nuclear war among them to degrade human civilisation significantly, but they won't do it.

Regards

China has fuck all nukes, France and the UK have more than them. And they're nothing compared to the USA and Russia.

Oh, neither of those 2 can start a global nuclear war. If they attack they will be quickly wiped off the map in retaliation and that will be it.

Only USA, Russia and China can have a sufficiently large scale nuclear war among them to degrade human civilisation significantly, but they won't do it.

Regards

China has fuck all nukes, France and the UK have more than them. And they're nothing compared to the USA and Russia.

The Chineese has enough nukes though.

From Wikipedia: "In 2012, STRATCOM commander C. Robert Kehler said that the best estimates where "in the range of several hundred" warheads and FAS estimated the current total to be "approximately 240 warheads".[22] One three year study by Georgetown University raised the possibility that China had 3 000 nuclear weapons, hidden in a sophisticated tunnel network. The study was based on state media footage showing tunnel entrances, and estimated a 4 800 km (3 000 mile) network. The tunnel network was revealed after the 2008 Sichuan earthquake collapsed tunnels in the hills. China has confirmed the existing of the tunnel network.[23] [24] In response, the US military was ordered by law to study the possibility of this tunnel network concealing a nuclear arsenal. [25] A retired Russian officer also claimed that China had many more nuclear weapons, estimating the arsenal at 1 800 nuclear weapons".

It's all crystal clear, as generally is everything concerning China...

Regards

From Wikipedia: "In 2012, STRATCOM commander C. Robert Kehler said that the best estimates where "in the range of several hundred" warheads and FAS estimated the current total to be "approximately 240 warheads".[22] One three year study by Georgetown University raised the possibility that China had 3 000 nuclear weapons, hidden in a sophisticated tunnel network. The study was based on state media footage showing tunnel entrances, and estimated a 4 800 km (3 000 mile) network. The tunnel network was revealed after the 2008 Sichuan earthquake collapsed tunnels in the hills. China has confirmed the existing of the tunnel network.[23] [24] In response, the US military was ordered by law to study the possibility of this tunnel network concealing a nuclear arsenal. [25] A retired Russian officer also claimed that China had many more nuclear weapons, estimating the arsenal at 1 800 nuclear weapons".

It's all crystal clear, as generally is everything concerning China...

Regards

I think by the time the US is locked in a cold war with China, the Chineese will posses enough nukes to create a new era of MAD.

i think real threats are nuclear war and overpopulation (or rather living beyond nature regeneration capabilities), which could cause serious problems.

however, call me optimist if you will, but i do honhestly consider one other possibility, which could end humans... as we know.

In Stargate series (both SG1 and Atlantis anyways, not big fan of SGU), one race known as the ancients, lanteans and alterans (all the same race btw) evolved to the point where they got rid of physical bodies and ascended to live as pure energy. Sounds ridicolous enough to rule out real possibility of it? actually... no. There is no psychical (like psychics here) obstacle for us to not do this, main problem lies with keeping our essence intact (because what makes us who we are? body or our mind, our memories, dreams, feelings?), while atoms (or even sub-atomic particles) can be who knows where. also, getting energy to live could be problem, however if we would somehow manage to do that, we could very well do that. Of course, its highly unlikely we will reach that stage even within few thousand years, if we havent wiped us out by then

but... not too long ago we couldnt even dream of going into space and now we are doing in daily basis, heck, not too long ago we predicted computers to be no smaller than room size at best or in that matter, we didnt imagine half the things not too long ago, we enjoy today, so who knows...

PS! i know i might sound crazy here, but just think about it

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

1.Alien invasion

2.Environmental toxins

3.Alien invasion

4.Rouge black holes

5.Ecosystem collapse

6.Sea level rising

7.Reversal of earths magnetic field

8.Super volcano

9.Weather control mishap

10.Gigant solar flares

11.Asteroid impact

12.Worldwide pandemic

13.Global war

It is a relative concept, a mistake easy to make when viewing the human race through the eye of a needle, the tiny frame of 'now'. What a human is or more accurately what it is worth is a concept that has been subject to a lot of change in our hundreds of thousands of years of recorded history.

Will there still be 'human' life in the faraway distant future? Sure. Would we be able to relate to it on any level? I don't think so. For all intends and purposes, everything, our biology and technology, but most decidedly our culture and values will all have gone extinct.

What a human is or more accurately what it is worth is a concept that has been subject to a lot of change in our hundreds of thousands of years of recorded history.

The span of recorded history is roughly 5,000 years, with Sumerian Cuneiform script, the oldest discovered form of coherent writing, from the protoliterate period around the 30th century BC.

You should look up your "facts" before posting.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 78 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.