Penumbra series

Well, this may be more known than I currently think but considering only 1 person I know has actually heard of this (not even played) and I have talked to nearly everyone at a tech(mostly game design) related college about it, I'm going to assume it's rather obscure.

This is a survival horror game for all you fans out there. not like resident evil though where you have a gun to shoot your spooks. when you see an enemy. you run. cuz you have no weapon. It's also a puzzle game but not some simple, "look over here to find the answer." I still have to consult the wise google when I get the the part of the game where I need to reprogram the boards of a computer server in Black Plague. -.-

Anywho, any of you know of this obscurity?

Retired Forum Moderator

Penumbra Overture is sitting in my steam account, a friend of mine gave me the humble bundle that includes this indie game. I'm gonna play it soon ;P

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

I should probably play overture first before continuing Black Plague since that's first...

I think you actually have some form of weapon in overture, not sure. not anything that really changes the outcome though. I think running and hiding is still the best solution in it.

Retired Forum Moderator

Ah yes penumbra. God i love that game. by love i mean like, by like i mean funny, by funny i mean scary as shit. also having a weak weapon is what gives the game that magic. hell the new game by the componey Anesthesia (i think) you have no weapon and no way to fight. THAT game is epic but also freaky on a whole new level!

and for some reason i really like red. maybe red is like me in some weird abstract way...... Na hes just crazy and i like crazy people.

I should probably play overture first before continuing Black Plague since that's first...

I think you actually have some form of weapon in overture, not sure. not anything that really changes the outcome though. I think running and hiding is still the best solution in it.

thats almost the only way you can do it!. i figured out a way to kill the dogs but it takes forever, even with the pick ax!

Penumbra Overture and Penumbra Black Plague are in my list of top favorite games of all time. I loved throwing a nice piece of beef jerky and then beating the ever-loving hell out of the demon devil dogs.

When I got the game I used Helloween4545's LP as a walkthrough and entertainment. If you like Penumbra or are curious I'd suggest checking it out.

Penumbra Overture and Penumbra Black Plague are in my list of top favorite games of all time. I loved throwing a nice piece of beef jerky and then beating the ever-loving hell out of the demon devil dogs.

When I got the game I used Helloween4545's LP as a walkthrough and entertainment. If you like Penumbra or are curious I'd suggest checking it out.

thats the way to do it! but it bites when theres a dog around the corner.... i cant tell how many times i was stabbed in the back killing a dog.

Damn Mr. Satan! Also if you guys like Penumbra you probably know about Amnesia. Its their most recent well known title. Its not quite as obscure but it certainly has the game play and appeal of an obscure game.

I didm't play it by myself, I just watched how my friend is playing. Hope I'll finnaly play it as well. I like that game.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I played Black Plague. For maybe 30 minutes then put it away. Scared my self. Did the same with Amnesia. I scare way to easily.

Well, you can get the collector pack on steam for $20 if you so desire. To bad the deal isn't out still where they had all games for $10.

And I'm not sure if Requiem is included in the pack. I don't see it on steam anymore so idk.

Retired Forum Moderator

I have Overture, Black Plague, and Requiem :D

"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, EVERYONE DIES!" - Gordon Freeman

Amnesia - The Dark Descent is one of the scariest games I played. Can't think of anything that tops this.

I have all of the 3 games on a DVD in a DVD case which I brought at a local store. I've played all of the Penumbra games on my Linux based system. The story was good and the gameplay had the perfect mood for the story.

At the beginning I tried not to kill the dogs just avoid them. Then in the shafts where was a lake I used the propane gas canisters after I had thrown some beef to keep them busy.

Poor dr. Swanson :(.

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own."

I loved playing through the entire Penumbra Trilogy; I started Penumbra after having finished Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

I enjoyed the level of hands-on-interaction available in those games developed by Frictional Games.

I also cannot wait for what is essentially Amnesia 2 (contiuation of the story-world, but not the original story)

http://www.nextfrictionalgame.com/

I still haven't finished Overture... it's on my sizable list of games that I've started but haven't finished yet. I'm at the part where you power up the mining machine, so I suspect I'm not very far into it.

My favorite part so far is definitely the spider caves... they were subtly creepy yet full of plenty of action/ chase sequences and cool little puzzles... plus smashing my way through a 25 foot thick solid rock wall using nothing but a pickaxe (Minecraft anyone?) made me feel like a badass.