Anyone here play DOOM?

Because I got a doom 3 collectors edition I have every doom game

And when he gets to heaven,

To saint Peter he will tell;

One more soldier reporting, sir.

I've served my time in Hell!

I'm a fan of DOOM, and of course I like playing the DOOM games. The groundbreaking originals and the mediocre modernized DOOM 3 are all fun, and i'm sure there's at least one other person here who agrees with me. Don't know if any of you play DOOM The Roguelike though...

What are you, a hipster?

Yesterday I played Doom 3 for about one hour and a half in a very dark room. I have 3 things to say:

- I actually jumped a few times. Damned monsters coming up from behind when I'd just picked up some ammo or health scared the crap out of me.

- The flashlight thing really annoys me. A lot. Having to switch back and forth between weapons and flashlight every 30 seconds is a pain in the ass. I looked up the "duck tape mod", but in the end decided against it. I'll play the game as it was intended.

- It's getting predictable. Every time I see some large ammo or health, I just know when I pick it up a monster is likely to appear behind me. Also, monsters usually show up in pairs. So when I've killed the one directly in front of me I just know I have to turn around fast and start shooting.

Maybe I'll play a few more hours later. I'm trying to stay warm now and get better from a slight cold I currently have.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

I love Doom games. The first ones were Beast at theyr time. That game also was inspiration for my nick name 9 years ago and I still use it :) it was one of the first FPS that i played, along with quake and duke nukem.

I love Doom games. The first ones were Beast at theyr time. That game also was inspiration for my nick name 9 years ago and I still use it :) it was one of the first FPS that i played, along with quake and duke nukem.

Same here. I grew up with Doom, Duke and Quake.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I was more into Quake before Doom 3 came out... Doom 3 had much better GFX, and it just seemed a bit more like you were actually in the game.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Well I have all of the Doom games now so I suppose I'll start playing it after I've finished with Quake IV, I'm in for a real treat if it is better that Quake because Quake IV is amazing.

*edit* Also- that Stroggification sequence was great.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Doom 3 > Quake 4

Doom 3 > Quake 4

If we divide by 3

Doom > Quake 4/3

So Doom is at least 33,3% better than Quake.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Should I play with or without the duct tape mod on my first playthrough?

With, definitely. You'll die like crazy without it. Once you get good at it with the mod, then take off the mod for a challenge.

Is the darkness really that big of a deal? I've never had the need for a duct tape mod and I'm nightblind. I use the lighting from enemies' attacks to see where they are in the darkness. I will admit that zsecs and commandos were quite a problem since they fire bullets, and melee-only enemies as well if I lose track of them.

Is the darkness really that big of a deal? I've never had the need for a duct tape mod and I'm nightblind. I use the lighting from enemies' attacks to see where they are in the darkness. I will admit that zsecs and commandos were quite a problem since they fire bullets, and melee-only enemies as well if I lose track of them.

Yes, it is a big deal for a first playthrough. After the first you're likely to have figured out how everything works, and will not need the mod.

Besides, it's fun to mod the mod, and put a more realistic flashlight texture/color to it.

and will not need the mod.

I never needed any flashlight mod. Not for the first playthrough, or the next ones, that includes my Nightmare run.

But making Hell as dark as it is and not give the player a flashlight at all was just cruel. At least light up the place a little better with more scary candle lighting or whatever.

Doom 3 > Quake 4

Doom 3 > Quake 4

If we divide by 3

Doom > Quake 4/3

Now Chief that's a bold statement there.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Doom 3 > Quake 4

Doom 3 > Quake 4

If we divide by 3

Doom > Quake 4/3

Now Chief that's a bold statement there.

Still accurate though.