Xbox One comments

I've been following the drama regarding the upcoming Xbox One with a lot of interest, almost like some people do towards celebrity gossip. It's ironic since I'm generally just a PC gamer, but it can't be denied how much consoles affect the entire game industry now. For me, the news on the Xbox One has been GLORIOUS. They've alleviated my biggest fears for the platform. My biggest concern was that they Xbox would enforce DRM by requiring online connection to servers with NO PLAN for the games years from now after they shut down. I was worried they were going to do this, but do a great job on all other fronts, so people would grudgingly accept it, creating a precedent for other platforms to do this. I hate this practice and don't like the idea of ANY game requiring a connection with a centralized server in order to play it. With very few exceptions, it's been proven again and again the companies don't care what happens to the game later on once it's no longer profitable to run the servers. I think it's an awful practice.

Fortunately, the Xbox One has far exceeded my expectations by pushing so far in this direction that it's like to cause blowback across the industry. Seriously, I give them a B+ for making perhaps the most unappealing console possible. Here's how I see it:

Positives:

+Heat and power consumption are likely to be low due the chipset being used.

+improved graphics over the Xbox 360, setting a decent baseline for cross platform games

+x86 architecture is more standardized

Negatives:

-Internet connection required every 24 hours (or as I call it, Xbox parole check-in), so offline play will not be a feasible solution

-Unable to loan games to friends

-Unable to get low used game prices (you'll have to pay a premium to Microsoft even if you "own" the used game)

-No backwards compatability with Xbox 360 games.*

-No backwards compatability with Xbox Live Arcade Games.*

-No indie titles will be allowed on it that don't already have a publisher

-Kinect is now mandatory and must be always online for the xbox to function.**

-3GB of the 8GB shared RAM is reserved by the OS (that's more than Windows)

*Don Mattrick of Xbox has even gone far as to say backwards compatibility is "backwards thinking." He also says that the backwards compatability market is negligible. I'm assuming he's basing this data on Xbox Original compatibility on the 360, not for the 360 itself, which had the longest console cycle in history. I can't think of a better arrogant statement than calling Xbox 360 loyalists who want to continue playing their games "backwards."

**Germany and Australia consider it a surveilance device.

And of course the reveal itself couldn't have been better, with it being filled with corporate PR fluff, glossing over gaming, and focusing on the wrong demographics. I DARE you to watch the first 90 seconds of it without groaning or turning it off:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/05/21/ign-live-presents-the-next-xbox-reveal

Glorious. Anyway, feel free to discuss anything about the Xbox One here, I might be their biggest fan right now, for all the wrong reasons.

Some more fun media:

Xbox reveal summary:

KbWgUO-Rqcw

Angry Joe rant:

9ekOtn7L1N0

xbox-one-used-games-meme.png

tumblr_mn6pc3Iwgb1qgddhho1_500.jpg

Keep it up Microsoft, just keep it up.

This type of DRM to me is on par with eating babies *and* killing little kittens - so the local cannibal is more likely to get any money from me than Ballmer.

Hopefully, though, this will give a boost to PC games...

Regards

I've said it before and I'm certain I'll be saying it in the near future - Microsoft has lost their minds. They have/had no idea what their consumer base really wants and either are trying really hard and failing spectacularly, or just did not care to begin with. I believe it's the latter, as all evidence points to it. The Xbox 360 wasn't that bad besides the 'Play online if you have Gold' thing and even then, that only applied to those who gave a damn about multiplayer. Honestly, I've been getting bad vibes about something like this for years every time I opened a 360 video that had Larry Hryb on it. He'd mention games and things such as, but neither him nor anyone with him ever really felt like they took this whole 'game console' thing seriously - or seemed that genuine to begin with.

Microsoft has wanted an 'entertainment' console that everyone uses since they first came up with Xbox. This seriously sounds like one big conspiracy master plan to rule our televisions and the super secret agent team of man and monkey have to save the day. It's like some sort of Saturday morning serial where they're the bad guys. But, whatever, at the very least Nintendo and Sony know what kind of product they're selling.

In conclusion:

35o5gq.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I don't even think I'm going to bother with the next generation of consoles, at least not at launch.

Originally, I wasn't too excited about the Steam Box, but with all the other options it's starting to look infinitely better in comparison.

100 percent average every time, all the time.

I don't even think I'm going to bother with the next generation of consoles, at least not at launch.

Originally, I wasn't too excited about the Steam Box, but with all the other options it's starting to look infinitely better in comparison.

I at first didn't care about the WiiU but it's growing on me, at least compared to the competition. It's a video game console first and foremost, and it's basically an HD Wii with a touch screen controller. That's fine by me. As for PS4, I'll have to see more of what it does before I make up my mind but Microsoft has already blown it's chances with me. I bought a 360 before a PS3 this generation, now I'm not going to get another Xbox. So good job, guys.

Not sure about the Steam Box but it's looking like it's going to be the replacement Xbox for me. Good thing, too, given the name. And if it releases another Half-Life sometime within it's lifecycle, even freaking better.

I agree, the XBox One reveal was a trainwreck that I can't help but admire, and their decisions on this console, with so many negative things, and even making it one of the only consoles I'd legitimately call creepy due to the surveillance thing, leading my friends to dub it the OrwellBox, do impress me.

Well done, Microsoft. Well done...

Now I will be busy playing my games on PC and Nintendo WiiU from now on...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I've said it before and I'm certain I'll be saying it in the near future - Microsoft has lost their minds.
Thanks for reminding me! I forgot to mention that they're aiming to sell 1 BILLION copies of the Xbox One! Not a joke!

Not sure about the Steam Box but it's looking like it's going to be the replacement Xbox for me. Good thing, too, given the name. And if it releases another Half-Life sometime within it's lifecycle, even freaking better.
My opinion on the Steambox is that it will probably be underwhelming at launch. They have a gargantuan task ahead of them trying to convert as many units as possible to Linux. I don't see it being a success right away, but if they just keep at it long enough, the more and more titles they can move over, the better it will start looking. If they're persistent and can make deals with game companies, this could potentially start toppling Microsoft's grip on PC gaming.

Also if you're ever inclined, you could literally build a small formfactor system that's more than functional than the Steambox for any price point you're interested in, although that would take some customization and time setting up. One of the advantages consoles have always had over PC's is being able to just start it and go, something Xbox One seems to be losing with all its authentication systems.

leading my friends to dub it the OrwellBox

1X84.jpg

Granted, the biggest demographic of Xbox gamers will be playing online anyway and more than likely won't care about the always online requirement or the ever-watching eye of the kinect sensor, but there's no way in hell they can sell a billion xboxes unless this is the only console they produce for the next quarter century.

100 percent average every time, all the time.

I've said it before and I'm certain I'll be saying it in the near future - Microsoft has lost their minds.
Thanks for reminding me! I forgot to mention that they're aiming to sell 1 BILLION copies of the Xbox One! Not a joke!

Haha wow... That's really ambitious, to say the least.

Treating physical media like it's digital media? Then what's the point of putting in a disk drive?

What is with these stupid console names, seriously, the Wii U? The X-bone? The Ooh Ya? The only one that sounds reasonable is the Playstation 4.

Sort of off topic, but the way the Xbox 1 has turned out has me thinking about those rumors of the desktop going away completely in Windows 9. I don't believe MS would be that stupid just yet, that would be corporate suicide, but who's to say about Windows 10, 11, 12...

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Sort of off topic, but the way the Xbox 1 has turned out has me thinking about those rumors of the desktop going away completely in Windows 9. I don't believe MS would be that stupid just yet, that would be corporate suicide, but who's to say about Windows 10, 11, 12...

Windows 8 and XBox One is already giving them so much negative publicity that they are about to become one of the most hated corporations in the world right now. I am certain they've surpassed EA at this point. I mean, yeah, you have some people being optimistic about it and some people liking to use Windows 8 but the majority think Microsoft are turning into Microshit.

What is with these stupid console names, seriously, the Wii U? The X-bone? The Ooh Ya? The only one that sounds reasonable is the Playstation 4.

Definitely agree with you there. Seems to be some sort of trend now. I remember hearing about the Wii and thinking "wait, they chose "wii" over "Revolution"? What?" and not really understanding why they chose such a stupid name. Wii U is also very hurting its reputation as people will just think about it as an upgraded Wii and not a new console. Not to mention you sound like a retard when you say it.

And seriously, XBox One? You couldn't call it the 720 or Infinity? Yeah, that's pretty stupid. And don't get me started on Ouyah, it sounds like a sound you make having sex...

So yeah, props to Sony for sticking with PS4. It makes sense, it looks good and doesn't sound retarded.

Unverified, but it looks like the Kinect may have the ability to shut down what you're watching / playing if there are too many people in the room and try to charge you for an upgraded license!

Source

And seriously, XBox One? You couldn't call it the 720 or Infinity?
Before it was announced, I was giving them a 50-50 chance they were going to call the Xbox One just "Xbox." Looks like I wasn't too far off the mark.

Unverified, but it looks like the Kinect may have the ability to shut down what you're watching / playing if there are too many people in the room and try to charge you for an upgraded license!

Source

And seriously, XBox One? You couldn't call it the 720 or Infinity?
Before it was announced, I was giving them a 50-50 chance they were going to call the Xbox One just "Xbox." Looks like I wasn't too far off the mark.

They never cease to amaze, do they.

This is just hilarious: :D KOxdMQhDMIU

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

So in case no one has seen this yet, Xbox Wire recently posted some FAQs about the One, Privacy, and DRM. http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

I find it funny how Microsoft is trying to place the gruff on game trade-ins and used game sales in general on the publishers. Regardless of whether the publishers can choose how to handle game trade-ins and used games, Microsoft is still at fault because they're providing the infrastructure for publishers to do this in the first place. However, with publishers being money-grubbing bastards in general, maybe this is for the best. Maybe with or without Microsoft, publishers would move to try to implement their own console DRM system. At least with Microsoft, everything is centralized. That still doesn't make this shit fly though.

I don't care what their reasoning is, I'm not buying a console that could potentially be shut off at the whim of our Lord and Savior, Microsoft, here. I have barely enough money to afford a fully-functioning console, I'm certainly not getting one that can shut off in the blink of an eye when the power goes out. And yes, I know they check once a day so you can temporarily play offline, but once that day is over you're fucked.

My only regret is I probably won't be able to finish playing the new Halo trilogy.