Late May News

Hey people, I have some new updates and a minor promotion to make. As I've mentioned before on the blog, I am still for hire if people want to pay me for voice acting, writing, or something else related. Well one group actually approached me about "hiring" me to play a game with them for a commentary series they're doing.

I have to admit, the concept of charging people for me to play a game with them never even occurred to me and it would seem pretentious if I had come up with the idea myself. I would feel guilty about this if I haven't been so busy with various projects that I've had very little time for gaming myself. Also, I decided I am ABSOLUTELY fine with establishing a precedent that I will play games for money if somebody wants to pay for it. I just don't want people to think that I feel entitled to some sort of payment for playing a game. On the contrary, I enjoy interacting with fans (even if I'm months behind on my email replies) and will always do so for free, even though there can be delays. The way I see it, what I'm being paid for is for time I would normally spend working on something else and I'm unfortunately very busy these days.

Anyway, part of the deal was some extra publicity for their new series, so here it is:

UwOgCKQXgfE

It's just myself running around with the creator "Loremaster Nojah" and his friend "Sarahon" trying to get through the old mod "They Hunger" running Sven Co-op. It goes on for a few hours, split into different episodes. If you need to kill time, these guys have you covered.

This video may also gives you an idea of why Freeman's Mind is not done live. This whole video is extremely casual with a minimum (if any) amount of editing. When doing things impromptu, my ratio of saying something entertaining is more like once every 3 minutes rather than once every 10 seconds the way it is with FM. Also my microphone quality is pretty poor in this video as I normally use a handheld mic to record videos, but I just used a webcam mic I had for this so I could play hands-free. On that note, if anyone has recommendations for a gaming headset with good mic quality for hands-free recording (especially with low mic puff) in the future, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

- - -

In other news, I've made a lot of updates to the website to the different sections, with updated information the FAQ, donations, subtitles, etc. I've also added an entire "Ross For Hire" section where you can now see some of the jobs I've taken so far freelancing. Not all of the mods / videos are out yet however, but feel free to browse.

Finally, I'm aiming to have the next Freeman's Mind out sometime Tuesday. While I am making no promises, it's my aim to have a new FM out approximately every two weeks after that (with more stuff coming out in between later on).

ADHD version: Ross plays games with some dudes! Website has more words on it! Next FM episode will probably be Tuesday!

You really need to do more of these gaming videos. It's great just to hear you talk generally about random things. I did laugh a lot at both you and the two gentlemen you played with. If you could just go into random games with fans and record what happens, that'd be a great addition imo. Especially with no editing.

Please do keep up the fantastic work!

Well, assuming you have $113 to spend on a hands-free mic, I would personally recommend the Turtle Beach X32's

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/xbox-headsets/ear-force-x32/58

To make PC chat possible you'd need this:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/cables-parts/pc-chat-adapter-cable/71

I use the mic for Xbox Live and voice quality is the best I've used so far. I don't imagine using them on PC would change anything since the mic uses Microsoft drivers.

Anyway, part of the deal was some extra publicity for their new series, so here it is:

UwOgCKQXgfE

It's just myself running around with the creator "Loremaster Nojah" and his friend "Sarahon" trying to get through the old mod "They Hunger" running Sven Co-op. It goes on for a few hours, split into different episodes. If you need to kill time, these guys have you covered.[/url]

:o Uhm, hope you don't mind if I bow out of doing the subtitles for that. Yikes! :shock:

Finally, I'm aiming to have the next Freeman's Mind out sometime Tuesday. While I am making no promises, it's my aim to have a new FM out approximately every two weeks after that (with more stuff coming out in between later on).

Homer-Simpson-whoohoo.png

Um, Tuesday is a day that I'm working. If FM is released on any day other than on the weekend, I will not be able to get to subtitling until after work. For anyone that wishes to do so, I will be livestreaming the subtitle process again if you missed it last time. For scheduling, figure the subtitling stream to start at approximately 6PM on Tuesday (or whatever day it's released), US-Pacific time (01h00 GMT/UTC). You can find the address in the Subtitles forum. :mrgreen:

Just a quick fore-note: The stream will probably be the last one I do. I will be starting college courses soon and will have little free time between work and that. I will continue to subtitle the episodes, but they may be delayed a day or two. I will not be able to stream as I'm going to try to fit in some subtitling in here and there when I get a break. :)

130$ Razer BlackShark gaming headset! It's what I am getting, and they are comfortable/ great!

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-blackshark

Designed for PC as well so you don't have to solve a rubics cube while upside down with it as well!

I love the Razer design but they've always been a bit expensive for me.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I love the Razer design but they've always been a bit expensive for me.

Thanks to graduation presents, I finally have enough to purchase them =] I wish I had extra money to send to Ross though. If I ever get a job, I'm planning on sending a bit of money!

Ah Sven Coop....that brings back memories.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Also my microphone quality is pretty poor in this video as I normally use a handheld mic to record videos, but I just used a webcam mic I had for this so I could play hands-free.

If one has a really good or simply favorite handheld microphone, it might be better to buy a stage tripod microphone stand (costs abt. $20) - this way one can place it anywhere around the seat at any reasonable height (to record in standing or sitting position) and direct the microphone axis at any desired angle. The quality of sound remains the same, but the hands are always free, and you can use your favorite headphones too! ;)

(At least I use my AKG C900M this way - both for professional sound recording and on-line communication. Very comfortable!)

I would still like to know if the idea of a FM style of playtrough of Bioshock is being considered.

And FM next tuesday sounds great since i got a maths exam that day meaning I'll have something to calm my nervs with afterwards.

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

This was really great. You should consider doing a podcast, or something of that sort. It'd be even easier than Freeman's Mind and you could probably do it while working if it isn't too distracting. You're a really smart guy and I'd love to hear more of your opinions on various things, world views, and philosophy.

...or just, y'know, farts, and pussy, and shit. That works, too.

I would still like to know if the idea of a FM style of playtrough of Bioshock is being considered.

And FM next tuesday sounds great since i got a maths exam that day meaning I'll have something to calm my nervs with afterwards.

Jack already has a voice, he just pretty much never uses it. You can probably find some shitty Freeman's Mind-style knockoff with Bioshock on YouTube, though.

Jack already has a voice, he just pretty much never uses it. You can probably find some shitty Freeman's Mind-style knockoff with Bioshock on YouTube, though.

Well unfortunately I haven't played the first Bioshock but i don't remember him talking in the second one and knockoffs of FM are more than likely to be crap so I sure hope Ross considers the Bioshock play trough idea.

I do wonder what kind of characteristics would Ross give Jack or at least the big daddy version of Jack!

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

:DDDDD

The player character in Bioshock 2 isn't Jack; he's a Big Daddy (and no, not the Big Daddy version of Jack, a separate character); he never talks because Big Daddies can't talk.