Oops

Oh crap. Well, keep us posted, in case we need to throw an emergency fundraiser or something like that.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Hi there,

So, you did spill some water on your computer?, i've seen worse, I've once repaired one that had dead rats in it (never knew how did the rat get in there) but you did the right thing, cut the power from the system before any circuit shorts.

If the circuit breakers didn't break the circuit automatically then the system never touched water before you cut the power, so technically if you dry it fast it should work.

Anyway make sure no moist is left on any metallic part because it may cause rust and that would affect mostly connectors on the motherboard (you can use a hairdryer on lowest temperature or from far away to make sure heat doesn't damage it either)

Hopoe it's any help

Bye

Ross, either it's something you do, evil goblins, or menacing corporations =b You never get a break! xD I would say the same thing like 10 other people already have about how it may not be all so bad but..There have been 10 other people that have said it! Hopefully, eventually, maybe..ONE DAYYY you may be able to have a nice, well earned break from Lady Luck wanting to shit on you. We all love you though Ross! And your loyal fans will be by your side to wipe you off until that day comes.

The blog that made me register just to say lol Ross your awesome, the first delay that I wasn't mad about. :lol:

Hey, good news, all the parts seem to still be working, except the fan to my CPU cooler is shot. I've ordered a new one and should have things fully operational in a few days.

Well it could be worse, you could be drinking coke...

That would do less damage than you might think. Yes there will be some shortcircuiting until things dry up, but generally speaking the acid and the sugary goop left behind will have no immediate effect on any circuitry

A while ago I lobotomized an old P3 to see how much damage it could take and maybe debunk a few myths in the process. I zapped every component thoroughly with static electricity, but I was unable to break anything. I tried the water approach without results. Then cola, since there are so many lovely myths around that substance, but basically it was the same deal.

Another thing to keep in mind is that water conducts electricity pretty badly. Some industrial cooling solutions actually involve submersing hardware into different, non-conducting liquids. Shortcircuiting hardware generally doesn't do any damage either. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the state of PSU's these days, or the simple fact that current going to the wrong place doesn't actually break anything. It's just electricity going into a place designed to handle electricity. RAM resets itself after the power goes off and any harddisk automatically decouples its I/O head when there is a power spike.

Well to top it off, I screwed open the protective cap of the CPU and poured cola directly onto the exposed core. That did have an effect, at least for while. Slowly it started baking out the sugary mess. About a week after the incident the computer started to boot again. It was like a scene out of Evil Dead.

Because at this point I simply wanted the machine dead, I attempted the classic mistake lots of people have when using a screwdriver around a mainboard: apply too much force. I left some good scratches on the circuit board and that did the trick.

I think in today's society, we're really more ruled by myth and superstition than we realize. We live further away from the cold hard truths of life, and yet understand less of how things work. It's odd, but then things would be so boring if we weren't scared of microwaves and cellphone radiation or giving too much sugar to children.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Hey, good news, all the parts seem to still be working, except the fan to my CPU cooler is shot. I've ordered a new one and should have things fully operational in a few days.

Radical

Hat tips and good days

Ooops... but I was kinda pissed off... Who keeps water next to a computer case like that? :/ Do you guys think a cup holder would work mounted somewhere in the desk, for example? I'm his girlfriend... :]

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I'm his girlfriend... :]

:shock:

Wait, last year's Poland jokes are making more sense to me now. Carry on. :geek:

Right now, the most important is, if someone has experience with a desk cup holder? Can you trust them?

It's serious :D I mean,... I don't trust bottles that much. Bottle can unscrew or whateva.

Dear Ross:

You do not have to dump water on your computer to take a break. Frying expensive components just to avoid recording is a bit extreme =)

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!

Dear Ross:

You do not have to dump water on your computer to take a break. Frying expensive components just to avoid recording is a bit extreme =)

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!

:lol::roll:

Fiver says that you'll learn your lesson over this and about 1 month later, unlearn it and won't face this exact problem for another 5-10 years. In College, Uni, Work, Home, I've more or less had a drink near whatever computer I'm using, mostly in a can at home or a bottle elsewhere (no reason for the change). I've killed keyboards and had some laptop spillage scares, still drinking stuff near the computer (infact got an open can of coke right near me). Worse thing is I work in IT support in offices and complain about people wreacking their pcs with liquids yet I sin like all others.

Bottles will just subconsciously train you not to knock things and spill liquids better, but you'll use cups and cans sooner or later. Just glad it's the cheaper things that have fried, so hope it gets fixed quickly.

I don't mind have to wait another week, it's a common mistake and also, well, I'm very used to waiting for you Ross Scott! :lol:

Right now, the most important is, if someone has experience with a desk cup holder? Can you trust them?

It's serious :D I mean,... I don't trust bottles that much. Bottle can unscrew or whateva.

The following things worked for me in the past:

• My PC is under the desk. Even if I spilt something, it would not reach it.
  • I keep glasses of things between my self and the keyboard, inbetween my two arms I use to operate the keyboard. It is in immediate reach and since I have no reason to suddenly cross my arms, there is no chance of knocking it over. If I reach for it, the other arm blocks the possible direction it could tip.
  • In the cafeteria, when I have a bottle of something next to my laptop on the table, I keep the lid thightly shut as long as the bottle is not in my hand.

So far, no excidents within the last ten years.

Get ross a sippy cup.

Or you know, this: beer-hat-beer-helmet-pic-8.jpg

AHAHAHAHAAA :lol: I gotta show him that! :mrgreen: edit: That's not exactly a cup holder but it surely holds liquid in. I just don't think he could record Freeman's lines with this on his head :mrgreen:

Thanks for making my day (night really) :D