Oops

There's coffee mugs you can get that have wide conical bases for exactly this purpose: so that when knocked they scoot instead of tipping.

In regards to placement, my home PC is set up entertainment center style (TV for monitor, tower next to TV, wireless keyboard on lap, and mouse on hand-height end table beside easy chair), so it's not much issue there. There is nothing about this setup that is unergonomic for any PC work, so unless you have to share the same TV with someone else, computer desks at home are for jive turkeys. When I have a drink, I put in on a coaster on the far side of the mousepad.

If you're at work, or constrained into using a desk at home (or for some perverse reason still wish to use a desk when you don't have to- I'll bet you wear a tie to bed and eat pizza with a knife and fork too), I've found that keeping your soda coffee vodka LOx virgin's blood water off the upper outside corner of the mousepad seems best. It's convenient since it's in a very ergonomic straight line with your mouse hand, yet is also outside the arc of most normal (both deliberate and accidental) hand activity. Your hand is only likely to cross that area if you're using the far corner/face of your desk to store something. Seems like I'm always seeing people put their drinks either between the keyboard and monitor, keyboard and mousepad, or off the left side of the keyboard, all of which are blatant invitations to spillage due to being inside the hand traffic arc for common movements and activities.

Wow, that's a lot of info. :)

I still like idea of any cup holder or something that would just prevent this crisis in the future... :roll: All this computer work and drying and stuff... Time consuming plus local power grids seems to be not exactly tolerating (the circuit breaker was going off a couple of times while testing dried comp configuaration) what Ross's computer performs in some situations :/ I guess American ones are less sensitive or they just care about safety less :D

Well... it looks like the simplest idea of a bottle will be implemented here. But maybe cup holder will be a good Christmas gift :mrgreen:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Right now, the most important is, if someone has experience with a desk cup holder? Can you trust them?

It's serious :D I mean,... I don't trust bottles that much. Bottle can unscrew or whateva.

If you bolt it down, it should be fine. Well, this is Ross we're talking about... he might beast mode that thing off the desk. My dad did that for a while before he decided to get a bigger desk to put his tower on, and it had case feet to lift it up a few inches, so that reduced the risk of spills. I'm currently set up in the same way, my tower sits on my desk and I never worry about what would happen if I knocked over my drink lol.

Right now, the most important is, if someone has experience with a desk cup holder? Can you trust them?

It's serious :D I mean,... I don't trust bottles that much. Bottle can unscrew or whateva.

If you bolt it down, it should be fine. Well, this is Ross we're talking about... he might beast mode that thing off the desk. My dad did that for a while before he decided to get a bigger desk to put his tower on, and it had case feet to lift it up a few inches, so that reduced the risk of spills. I'm currently set up in the same way, my tower sits on my desk and I never worry about what would happen if I knocked over my drink lol.

His computer is a freakin monster... (At least to a "normal" ones I've seen.) Besides I think it would interfere with recording somehow it it was placed at a higher level. Gee, that's seems like nothing but a moderate water spill ruined the whole evening for us both really.... And delayed all the work ;(

He gets stressed, I get stressed :/ This is why I personally hate Machinima so much. On a very personal level ]:->

Alright, I guess the bottle solution is the best for now and once new computer part arrives it will go on as usual. I feel like I'm talking too much here...It's not twitter... Goodnight 8-)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

accidents like that are always a nightmare.

a friend of mine made a karaoke party and used his laptop with all cables and microfone stuffs, that was "smupid" cause he spilled over a half can budweiser over the keyboard.

The only thing he got saved was the HDD (at least no data's gone lost) but everything else was something like "yeah... let's make a beerbath!".

Uncool.... and beer is stucking like hell!

"Well... it didn't work Heather!!!"

ROSS, If you got this, then GIT R DONE as Larry the cable guy would say.................hey we all make mistakes man thts what makes us human, I can wait 20 years for a new episode of Freemans mind Ross so hey take as much time as you may need Ross

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

LASER!!!!!!!!!!! CAUTION LASER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAUTION LASER!!!!!!!!!!! CAUTION LASER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAUTION LASER!!!!!!!!!!! CAUTION LASER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAUTION LASER!!!!!!!!!!! And that is what Gordon would think when you messed ur Tower up

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

I know this is kind of a shit situation but I can't help but giggle a little at it. Maybe it's because I'm morbidly glad someone else's computer may be in worse shape than mine is. :D

Hope everything works out, Ross.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Well with three pages of advice, I'm pretty sure Ross will never do this again.

It won't be that bad, you just have to dry it out. But next time, make sure you don't have anything like a yogurt smoothie next to your PC. I spilled one on my laptop and it wouldn't turn on for 5 years

Poor Ross. Anything bad that can happen to Ross, will happen. I'm not even impatient, I just feel sorry for the guy and I hope that he can catch a break sometime in the future.

It won't be that bad, you just have to dry it out. But next time, make sure you don't have anything like a yogurt smoothie next to your PC. I spilled one on my laptop and it wouldn't turn on for 5 years

Wait, so you kept it after five years without cannibalizing it? And tried to turn it on either for the first time since the incident or after five years of knowing it didn't turn on when you tried?

If your sound card still isn't working, try sticking it in the fridge for a few days... It can sometimes leech out a little extra water. (emphasis on "sometimes")

If you need assistance in finding a decent card please let me know. :)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Wait, so you kept it after five years without cannibalizing it? And tried to turn it on either for the first time since the incident or after five years of knowing it didn't turn on when you tried?

I had stuff on the harddrive that I couldn't get off of it, and I did try turning it on periodically to see if it would work again

If your sound card still isn't working, try sticking it in the fridge for a few days... It can sometimes leech out a little extra water. (emphasis on "sometimes")

If you need assistance in finding a decent card please let me know. :)

If there's any water on the card, it turning into ice would make things worse D;

I almost did the same thing luckily my glass of fluid(don't ask) was on the other side of the table.

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

Well it could be worse, you could be drinking coke...

That would do less damage than you might think. Yes there will be some shortcircuiting until things dry up, but generally speaking the acid and the sugary goop left behind will have no immediate effect on any circuitry

A while ago I lobotomized an old P3 to see how much damage it could take and maybe debunk a few myths in the process. I zapped every component thoroughly with static electricity, but I was unable to break anything. I tried the water approach without results. Then cola, since there are so many lovely myths around that substance, but basically it was the same deal.

Another thing to keep in mind is that water conducts electricity pretty badly. Some industrial cooling solutions actually involve submersing hardware into different, non-conducting liquids. Shortcircuiting hardware generally doesn't do any damage either. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the state of PSU's these days, or the simple fact that current going to the wrong place doesn't actually break anything. It's just electricity going into a place designed to handle electricity. RAM resets itself after the power goes off and any harddisk automatically decouples its I/O head when there is a power spike.

Well to top it off, I screwed open the protective cap of the CPU and poured cola directly onto the exposed core. That did have an effect, at least for while. Slowly it started baking out the sugary mess. About a week after the incident the computer started to boot again. It was like a scene out of Evil Dead.

Because at this point I simply wanted the machine dead, I attempted the classic mistake lots of people have when using a screwdriver around a mainboard: apply too much force. I left some good scratches on the circuit board and that did the trick.

I think in today's society, we're really more ruled by myth and superstition than we realize. We live further away from the cold hard truths of life, and yet understand less of how things work. It's odd, but then things would be so boring if we weren't scared of microwaves and cellphone radiation or giving too much sugar to children.

I wasn't really referring to the damage it would do, more like what a nightmare it would be to clean up. That shit STICKS TO EVERYTHING.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I almost did the same thing luckily my glass of fluid(don't ask) was on the other side of the table.

I wouldn't even think of asking, but the way you phrased it makes me curious. In an "I probably don't want to know, but now I have to know" sort of way.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

It's very unlikely to fry all hardware. It is very hard to destroy modern computers (unless, you really want to) :)

One time I spilled my whole cup of tea on laptop at my work and NOTHING happened. And the tea was everywhere inside it :P

Just dry it and it should be allright.

PS

Remember about cleaning off old thermal grease and applying new one, whenever you take off cooling system from your CPU. If you don't do that, cooling may be too weak and cause overheat CPU. Still, it won't damage your CPU - it is automaticly shutting off, before frying.

PPS

I have similar casing. I keep it under my table, so it's impossible to spill anything on it :)