Vent

The issue is getting the idea across to another person, that's what grammar is there for. It adds points of emphasis so you can better understand the intent.

Also, despite the Grammar Nazis, we will always have need of Punctuation Man!

Although the people who take time out of everyone's day for the infamous "they're*" response can pack their bags and leave and they WILL NOT be missed.

Retired Forum Moderator

To be honest, there have been times where I've seriously considered messing with Grammar Nazis and those types of people by responding with "their*" (or "there*") to sentences like "They're going to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens." In a means to show just how annoying it can be.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Except that they're right, and you're wrong, so you'd just be making yourself look like a petty ass.

Hey, here's an idea. If you don't like being corrected, make fewer mistakes. Then it won't happen so much.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

X3 But... That goes against the definition of a mistake...

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

hey heres a idea dont b a ass bye always corekting ppls mistaks

I'm not trying to insult anyone when I say this, but when the intent of a speaker is understood despite the usage, anyone correcting is simply being pedantic. Take for example the three words there, their, and they're. Do not let orthography blind you! When you say these words, they are always pronounced /ðɛɚ/. Thus it's easy to understand why someone might confuse these when writing because they never make the distinction in spoken language.

Ian is now titled and known as... The Truth Speaker.

All hail The Truth Speaker! *bows*

X3 I rarely make mistakes because I'm always on my phone. I rarely make posts on the forum on my PC. Thank God for autocorrect.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

X3 I rarely make mistakes because I'm always on my phone. I rarely make posts on the forum on my PC. Thank God for autocorrect.

Unless you're using IE, autocorrect is included in the browser... Best one is in Chrome IMO. (it includes word choice correction)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

1. Ninja, ever thought that maybe when we crack down on you, it's because we and a lot of other people have to read what you're writing, and you could save a lot of people many times more time and effort than it would take from you if you just typed like an educated member of society? You're the one being an ass here, to EVERYBODY who reads what you're writing. If you were parked in the middle of a city street, would I be an ass to tell you to move your vehicle, or would you be an ass for parking in the street and inconveniencing everybody going through there in the first place?

2. Ian, the ENTIRE POINT of grammar is to make sure you're understood clearly, and it's easy to read what you've written. People who can't take two seconds extra to type properly are selfish pieces of shit, because they clearly think the two seconds and tiny bit of effort they're saving are worth adding six seconds, a lot more effort and often times a headache to anybody who reads their post, and often times their post just not being read because it's such a pain in the ass to read.

3. I don't use autocorrect, personally. I get what it's there for, but for me I've always found it creates more problems than it solves. But spellcheck, I'll agree Chrome has the best I've seen on desktop. And Windows Phone has the best I've seen on mobile.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

2. Ian, the ENTIRE POINT of grammar is to make sure you're understood clearly, and it's easy to read what you've written. People who can't take two seconds extra to type properly are selfish pieces of shit, because they clearly think the two seconds and tiny bit of effort they're saving are worth adding six seconds, a lot more effort and often times a headache to anybody who reads their post, and often times their post just not being read because it's such a pain in the ass to read.

3. I don't use autocorrect, personally. I get what it's there for, but for me I've always found it creates more problems than it solves. But spellcheck, I'll agree Chrome has the best I've seen on desktop. And Windows Phone has the best I've seen on mobile.

I agree with these.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I'm confused as to what you mean by grammar. If legibility is an issue, I think you may be referring to orthography, which is the way we spell words. But I don't believe there have been any changes to grammar in Standard American English online.

y r u guys talkin bout words thts so gay lol plz like n share my vid thx xoxppl r so angry wen i spek idid nuthin rong im normal jus like u dont bully me

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

The thing is Seattleite, is that people like you will analyze anything that's written or typed, and correct every single little minor mistake, with a smug superiority look on your face. Constantly breathing down our necks like we're horrible people and should rot in jail for the rest of our lives, just for using "their" when we should have used "they're", or spelling "definitely" as "defiantly". People make mistakes, it happens. Get off your high horse and leave us alone. The ironic thing? Some of your people make mistakes with the English language!

or spelling "definitely" as "defiantly".

Stop right there.

the name's riley

Never really understood how people mix those two up.

Whenever I misspell 'definitely', it's always 'definately'.

Oh wait, out of character *ahem*

just coz i tyoe like dis dsnt make me stupid ill hav u no im gud at english i luv ritin storys chek out ma fanfiction account k luv u lots bae xox thmbs up if u read dis in morgon freemans voice

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

No Ninja, no we don't. That's how you choose to frame the narrative so that you can look like you're the good guy here. We're tired of you being a selfish, lazy piece of shit in a public venue. We're tire of it in much the same way we'd be tired of it if you went around in train stations mumbling half-gibberish at the staff members and other passengers. And people like you, specifically, are the worst because you get angry that a very small percentage people you've inconvenienced are angry you've inconvenienced them.

The bottom line is you are inconveniencing random strangers for no reason other than being a lazy shit. And yes, that pisses us off. And yes, we get spiteful and vindictive about it because it happens SO MUCH. And we're not going to be nice to you, and we're going to talk down to you because you're acting like a lunatic drunk in public, without even having the excuse of actually being a lunatic drunk. And you don't have to be perfect for us to be nice to you and your precious feelings, you just have to fucking TRY. And as long as you're not willing to try, you can just fucking deal with it.

Hey, just to point something out, this thread wouldn't be such a fucking shithole right now if you guys actually listened to Seattleite a page ago.

The point of this thread is to post about what pisses you off, not piss other people off by trying to argue with them about what pisses them off.

Speaking of which, I'm REALLY miffed about the fact that this stupid argument has gone on for a full page.

the name's riley

You mean when I brought up that the queen of incomprehensible gibberish has improved her typistry immensely in a short timespan, showing in doing so that anybody can type like an educated human being if they try? And then how I immediately attempted to end the conversation there, on a positive note?

Yeah, funny about that, isn't it. What's even funnier is I'm probably going to get blamed for this if it gets out of control, even though I tried to terminate the conversation *before* it turned into a flame war.

I'm unsure as to whether this fully qualifies as a vent, but at the moment, I'm not particularly interested in that if it means attempting to save this thread. I thought ludicrous levels of thread derailing because of petty bumfights like this were a thing of the distant past (when xenophobic, narrow-minded "anti-Bronies" actually existed here). I was convinced that the community (myself included) had moved past that and it disappoints me to see that I wasn't completely correct. The last thing I'd like to see is this thread getting locked; we can all agree that it's a valuable source of catharsis and finding help/sympathy, and not a verbal boxing ring.

That said, can we all pretend this never happened and stop using this thread for the exact opposite of what it was intended for? On the off-chance that no one's willing to simply cool down, use PMs or some other medium of communication. It doesn't belong here.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?