Vent

I agree with Epsilon. Let's change the subject, at least. This one probably won't go anywhere.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

a thing of the distant past (when xenophobic, narrow-minded "anti-Bronies" actually existed here).

Interesting that you should mention this... :lol:

Honestly though, I agree. We don't want this topic locked like the last ones to devolve into mini-brawls.

@Seattleite: It takes two to argue...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Okay. Here's a different vent, to change the subject. Something I think we can all agree on, I hope.

Have you ever had to deal with a moderator (and I'm not talking about anybody on this board, just to be clear) who thought they were above the community they moderated? You know the type. The ones who get offended when you communicate to them like they're an equal, or even just like a human being? The kind that thinks that just because they have a small, unpaid position on a website, that makes them better than the regular forumites? I don't understand how somebody could get so conceited from something so... Meaningless. And I see them on *well* over half the sites I frequent, and I've avoided joining sites just because their moderators are like that.

I had one on [site Redacted] explode on me recently. Instant, permanent ban. All my threads nuked from high orbit. You could never tell I was a member of the site, because there's nothing left. Even my posts in other people's threads were deleted. I think they must have a quick delete button for that purpose or something. The ban note was "Do not insult or disrespect staff members.", with my post quoted afterwards. My post was directed at another forumite, who kept going on an off-topic argument after the moderator came in and told everybody to stop derailing the thread. You could clearly tell who it was directed at, because I had their post quoted. And my exact post was "You heard the dude. This conversation's over." That was my ENTIRE post.

WHAT exactly in that is in any way insulting or disrespecting the staff members? That I referred to a moderator as "the dude"? Gee, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so full of yourself that you're offended by being referred to in a casual manner, like a member of the community. If you don't want that respect, that's fine. You can get less respect. [Name Redacted], you can go hang, and take your stupid cowboy avatar with you.

EDIT:

I probably shouldn't mention the site's name, or the moderator's name. So I've redacted those.

None of the sites I have ever frequented would ever tolerate a mod that did that. The mod would end up demoted, and possibly banned. (and yes, I have seen that occur on a few sites I do or have frequented)

Yeah, that may be why he covered it all up by deleting every post I ever made. But... He's not even the only moderator on [site Redacted] that acts like that. To be honest, I don't mind being off the site with how everybody on it acts, it's the fucker's attitude that pisses me off. That entire site pisses me off, but this is the worst I've seen on it yet.

And I hate to admit this, but that's my second account at that site. The first was banned because I sent a complaint to the site administrator about another moderator openly insulting forumites (he called a group of us who were talking about the positives of the chaotic alignment and negatives of the lawful alignment "dumbasses" and "terrorists"), and the moderator I complained about banned me for filing a complaint about him.

Have to say that last subject escalated quickly and for no real reason at all.

On the subject at hand, I'm surprised they were even allowed to become moderators!

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Unfortunately, I am... Less than surprised. A lot of people choose pricks to be their moderators, and then those pricks become worse and worse as they spend years being moderators, as their prickish personality just gets steadily worse when given even the tiniest sliver of perceived power. Thankfully, there's a handful of forums I'm on (including this one) where they don't have one of those (either by luck or by design), but it's hard to find them sometimes. Especially with tabletop RPG communities.

That is one thing I always had going for me as a moderator, I never abused the power. (also the main reason why on the sites that have made me a mod or admin, I'm always the most liked)

I have absolutely no way to tell if I'd be a good mod or not anymore because the last time I was was over 6 years ago. I wasn't bad back then(I like to tell myself) but you never know how one would be with that much time in between. I pretty much stopped when the administrator dumped the dying husk of his website on me and fled in an attempt to leave me with the blame. No one bought it but I still felt really upset by that move for a long time since I trusted those people. I'm not naming the site though. I'm not going to be that guy, especially since it's been 6 years. But I do have a passionate dislike against abusive staff members because of it, and have left a lot of communities I used to like outright because of that. After all, the staff is a good judge of the site's owners. If the staff are power abusive and rude, and the site owners turn a blind eye, I don't want to be there anymore.

Retired Forum Moderator

You know, I think that might be why we're all part of this site, despite the slow updates from Ross...

The closest I've been to being an admin or mod is the Accursed Farms group on Steam.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I moderated my boyfriend's forum. X3 A very tiny community. But I rarely ever had to tell anyone off. I only told off some kids who were unable to understand how forums work. You don't reply to someone's post just to say "Okay." Or "Lol". X3 It's not instant messaging. That was the only time I had to growl. Oh wait. There was one case of abuse. Apparently some guy was adding girls on the sight and hinting cases of sexual abuse. X3 So I banned him. I wasn't having any of it on the site.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

This is definitely the most mature and active forum I've been on (save for one, but it came to a halt a few years back once the band started using Facebook more).

I joined the American McGee forum in 2010, and while there were some...strong personalities, it was by and large pretty decent. When Madness Returns was being hyped, there was a massive influx of new people, and it, well, spoiled the community somewhat. They had good intentions and all, but...I guess it's a bit like Portal, as described by Yahtzee:

Nothing ruins a good thing quite like knowing you share your opinions with mindless little tits who bray like mules if you so much as mention the word 'cake'. And the good thing in question can never be the same again - this is technically known as the 'Knights who say Ni' effect.
Considering that forum is now pretty much dead, it was with trepidation that I joined AF, as so far my track record shows forums becoming ghost towns up to 4 years after I join.

Seeing as Ross is an active user on here, and doesn't use things like Facebook or Twitter, it should hopefully fare better.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

it was with trepidation that I joined AF, as so far my track record shows forums becoming ghost towns up to 4 years after I join.

Mine tend to be 1-2 years... Excluding AF and one other... (the other lasted 4)

Ugh. I'm too selfless sometimes. :I It makes me upset. But I just have the urge to make people happy, even if it means me suffering.

I've been waiting all day to play with my boyfriend as he was doing school work. I tell him this too.

Then when he's finally done, unluckily my power cuts out and I have to wait for Dad to come home and fix it. X3

Finally after the power is back on, I get back on my computer. I call Seth. Apparently he's now playing with his friends.

I mean... I told him that we'd play a game later. But... I guess he couldn't wait. X3 So... I'm just letting him play his game with his friends for the rest of the night.

It hurts. A lot. But I don't care. As long as he's having fun. I'm just going to occupy myself with homework or something I guess. Ugh.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Selfless isn't bad, selfless to the exclusion of your own needs IS bad though. There is an important need for most people to relax with friends, you shouldn't ignore it if you have it.

So I'm really upset about this news regarding Konami, Kojima, and the cancellation of Silent Hills. But I'm actually very annoyed by one of the comments by Konami regarding this incident.

"We will continue to develop the Silent Hill series"

Is this supposed to be a comforting statement? Konami's been in charge of the Silent Hill series for a while and the last several games they've made have been a disappointment. When P.T. was released, and it was confirmed to be the teaser demo for the next in the series, I was excited. Legitimately excited. On it's own, P.T. looked to be the demo for an extremely promising standalone horror game. The fact that it was going to be the next installment in the Silent Hill series, as well as being directed by Hideo Kojima AND Guillermo Del Toro; two directors I greatly respect; furthered that excitement. I thought it was gonna finally be the Silent Hill to redeem the series' wounded name.

So hearing them cancel a project with such incredible promise over a power struggle and then have the nerve to basically say "don't worry, Silent Hill will still get games" after eliminating the reasons why SH held some hope of making a comeback is such a slap to the face. So I'm calling it. Silent Hill has died for me. The defibrillator that was Silent Hills has failed and I'm writing up the death certificate. Konami's going to now proceed to dance on it's grave and tap into what's left of it's bank account while I mourn for what could have been an excellence.

And now there's word that they've already planned and started development on the MGS to follow after Phantom Pain, claiming "looking for an all new team to work on it" is like following that slap to the face with a kick to the nuts. Konami, just... stop. Take what money you've made, finish and release whatever projects you have, and just stop. Stick with your mobile games and Pachinko parlors. You've done enough for the game industry. You don't need to wound my faith AND trample my childhood.

Who am I kidding they don't fucking care.

Retired Forum Moderator

I hate Disc Locked Content, I hate DLC as pre-order bonuses, I hate exclusive DLC, I hate weapon skin DLC, I hate Day 1 DLC, I hate Season Passes (for video games). I love the Arkham games. I'm excited for Arkham Knight. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Now thanks to all of these paywalls to content that's already in the game (plus the full $60) I'm not going to get the game when it comes out (good thing I didn't bother pre-ordering it). Nope, I'm going to wait for the GOTY edition which will get rid of all of the pointless paywalls.

Vent 2: Game Of The Year has lost all meaning. Growing up, whenever I heard the words "game of the year edition" I thought "holy shit, this game must be fan fabultisticly amazing to have such a title"*, and I was right. These games deserved such title. Now? It seems like every game out there gets this title. Hell, even Payday 2 got this title. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy that game, but it's hardly GOTY worthy. Now what does GOTY mean nowadays? It means the game is back to being $60, with all of the extra content that was locked behind paywalls is now free, as it should have been. As it was in the past. Hell, the extra content, in the past, would have been unlockables that you got using ingame currency/points/whatever, or cheats. Take the first Spider-Man movie game for example. If you beat the game on hard(?) mode, or used a cheat code, you could replay the entire game as Green Goblin. This wasn't just a simple reskin, no, you could fly around on the glider, get on/off the glider, and use different types of pumpkin bombs. Now grant it, the majority of the game was exactly the same, however GG had unique lines, and other characters reacted differently. Nowadays? You would have to pay extra for that, or just wait for the GOTY edition of said game.

*Not actual thoughts, but close enough.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA