Vent

@Heliocentrical

It's probably a joke. Like the dihydrogenmonoxide ban petitions, the stick patents and lastthursdayism.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

Seattleite, they're movies, they're fiction. Not bloody real life! People watch movies to be entertained. They're not going to stop and think "is that explosion realistic?" No, they're going to enjoy the movie. Me enjoying The Avengers, even though it's not 100% accurate, is nothing like hanging out with someone, having a blast, and then all of a sudden they punch me. You're acting like it's on a personal level, when it's not. Your issue isn't with movies/shows. That's your scapegoat.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

H.R 642 is a bill that was introduced recently to congress that's trying to get magic to become recognized as a "rare and valuable art form and national treasure"

Hehe... Someone has been a keen reader of Robert Heinlein and obviously believes that there is a grain of truth in that fantasy... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic,_Inc.

...the dihydrogenmonoxide ban petitions...

Oh, c'mon, everyone knows dihydrogenmonoxide is harmelss! But protium dioxide, on the other hand...

And, please, don't get me started on chemtrails! :shock:

Regards

P.S. But, please, guys, can we NOT have a fight over movie trops and stuff?

Seattleite, they're movies, they're fiction. Not bloody real life! People watch movies to be entertained. They're not going to stop and think "is that explosion realistic?" No, they're going to enjoy the movie. Me enjoying The Avengers, even though it's not 100% accurate, is nothing like hanging out with someone, having a blast, and then all of a sudden they punch me. You're acting like it's on a personal level, when it's not. Your issue isn't with movies/shows. That's your scapegoat.

And again, ignoring my explicit statement of exactly where I have a problem so you can strawman my position. Allow me to try one last time. If you still don't get it, you're either a liar or you're illiterate and whoever is reading this to you is a liar.

MY PROBLEM IS NOT THE INNACURACY ITSELF. MY PROBLEM IS PEOPLE ACTUALLY, LEGITIMATELY, WHOLE-HEARTEDLY BELIEVE IT AND MAKE CONSEQUENTIAL DECISIONS BASED ON THAT MISINFORMATION. PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE OF THIS KIND OF STUFF.

Is that clear enough for you? Do I need to fit it into a six-second soundbyte?

"My problem is that people believe it."

Is that better, then? Work with me here, I am at a loss on how to make this any more clear to you.

Where on Earth do you live... Where you have people believing in fictional works? o.O

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Where on Earth do you live...

In a country which panicked after hearing a radio broadcast of a fictional story about an alien invasion in 1938...

Regards

Where on Earth do you live... Where you have people believing in fictional works? o.O

I'm resisting the urge to make a crack about religion... Or conspiracy theorists... Or several right-wing economic models... Or quite a few things, actually.

No, see, it isn't the whole work, it's just specific things featured within it. In this case, easy clean vaporization (this myth contributed to prohibition of alcphol by allowing the myth of alcoholism-induced spontaneous human combustion to spread), and the 10% of the brain myth (which fuels an industry selling brain-unlocking snake oil). But these aren't even the best examples, they're just the ones I used.

For a personal example look at the "soft glass" trope... I once saw a guy break his hand trying to punch out a car windshield. Guess where the idiot got that idea.

Ooh, ooh, how about the Hollywood drowning, Hollywood heart attack and Hollywood CPR depictions that constantly get people killed as people fail to recognize actual drowning and heart attacks, and treat them like CPR is just a magic bullet that always works and medics can just turn stopped hearts back on with their magic defibrillator?

Oh, or how about the "all men are eager" trope that leads to victim-blaming, shaming, abuse and dismissal of male rape victims? See also "all abusers are male", which does the same for victims of domestic abuse by female abusers (especially male victims, who are often ARRESTED if they try to report abuse they received).

I can go on all day. Television is trying to kill us.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Trying to explain actual history around swords to a bunch of fantasy game players is annoying "Oh but the distinction of one-handed and two-handed swords is blurred because some swords can be used with both hands blah blahblah" yes, some were designed like that and most were either soon outdated or purely ceremonial. From the standard idea of a longsword that didn't actually see much use outside of late medieval to Renaissance era to the Japanese Katana which by the Edo period was purely ceremonious as at that time Japan had stopped fighting with swords and focused more on fighting with archery and spears.

Hell, most large swords weren't even all that used themselves. The famous Zweihander? Went out of service in 50 years. Most claymores? Used by nobles and crusader knights that even then were mostly ceremonious. Most types of swords were purely one-handed as two-handed swords were seen as a bad idea on a battlefield and ended up being used only in duels or ceremonies.

And again, ignoring my explicit statement of exactly where I have a problem so you can strawman my position. Allow me to try one last time. If you still don't get it, you're either a liar or you're illiterate and whoever is reading this to you is a liar.

MY PROBLEM IS NOT THE INNACURACY ITSELF. MY PROBLEM IS PEOPLE ACTUALLY, LEGITIMATELY, WHOLE-HEARTEDLY BELIEVE IT AND MAKE CONSEQUENTIAL DECISIONS BASED ON THAT MISINFORMATION. PEOPLE DIE BECAUSE OF THIS KIND OF STUFF.

Is that clear enough for you? Do I need to fit it into a six-second soundbyte?

"My problem is that people believe it."

Is that better, then? Work with me here, I am at a loss on how to make this any more clear to you.

Looks like someone ignored what I had typed...

Do you have actual proof of this? Is there actual legitimate proof that people actually believe things like gamma radiation turning you into a giant green hulking monster when you get angry, because they saw it in a movie? Or that they can climb walls just from being bitten from a spider? Do you have proof of people testing these things because they saw it in a movie? Not setting off firecrackers because they're dumb teenagers who got a hold of firecrackers.

could you two kindly shut the fuck up

this is the thread to vent your frustrations, not make people more frustrated

the name's riley

So, people are complaining about Buttercup's raspy voice in the PPG reboot, and that she's a "tomboy who can't be ladylike".

giphy.gif

What? Did they forget that in the original she had a raspy voice and was a "tomboy who can't be ladylike"?!?

dNVvntX.gif?noredirect

Yea when I was watching that entire scene of Quill and Gamora I couldn't stop laughing because it's so clean that space doesn't work like that, both of them would've been dead in a second if they went into space unprotected. I guess people think it's the same as floating in water which is just nonsensical.

Space isn't what you appear to think it is either... Exhale all the air from your lungs, and you can survive 30 seconds easily. If you want a realistic depiction of unprotected space exposure with a panicked subject, just go look at the movie Event Horizon.

All that said, there are some 'plausible' explanations for that particular event. One is that Gamora is both alien, and (probably, considering her 'sister') cybernetically or genetically modified. This could include the ability to resist death in a 0 pressure environment. Quill is half alien, (as implausible as that itself is, if you take it as a 'reality' this is a very simple explanation) and that half could be enough to make him that resistant to a 0 pressure environment. Death averted, and suspension of disbelief continues.

Remember, not all organisms die as quickly when exposed to space as a human. http://morgana249.blogspot.com/2014/08/6-organisms-that-can-survive-travel-in.html

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

could you two kindly shut the fuck up

this is the thread to vent your frustrations, not make people more frustrated

While I advise against this tone of presentation, the message is correct.

The point of this thread is to help people "get off their chest" something that's festering in them so they can move past it, NOT to attack their feelings in any way(No matter how otherworldly bothered by the message you may be). Attacking their feelings only reinforces whatever they're venting about, making it worse, and makes you a bit of an asshole for doing so.

If you want to explain why something they don't understand(as in, they say they don't understand and would like to) may be the way it is NON-CONFRONTATIONALLY, then that's fine.

Seriously, this isn't a debate thread.

Retired Forum Moderator

I can handle my partner not understanding me. I can handle my friends not understanding me. But if my parents don't understand me, we have a big huge problem. >:I I've had to put up with their shit for 16 years, I don't want any more.

\/ Sensitive as fuck.

I HATE being with my dad. Why can't I have one of those cutesy families where the parents actually love each other and know how to parent?? Why can't I have somebody who KNOWS me and not just assumes that anything I do is because I'm being a bitchy teenager. Hey guys, surprise, I have fucking feelings. I know, it's a shock. :problem:

I'm pretty much just not allowed to make any mistakes.

I forget to turn the fan on in the bathroom. -> An unnecessary 10 minute lecture on what fans do and why they're important.

I didn't know there was food for me on the table behind me. -> I'm called an idiot and a moron and I no longer get food.

I switch the tab on my computer, interrupting my parent's reading without my knowing. -> I'm yelled at and asked; "What are you doing!?"

Then my parents wonder why I'm so quiet and reluctant to go out with them all the time, they wonder why I hate myself and wonder why on Earth I wanted to commit suicide a few years ago.

Parents are DICKS.

I cannot wait to graduate, so I can get the fuck out of the entire state, or even better - the country. Gives me an excuse not to visit them. Ever. And what's the most recent complaint of my parent's? "One day you're going to wake up and realize how much of a little shit you were."

Thanks... you know how to make me feel loved...

Does somebody wanna adopt me? XD I'd be down with that.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Technically I could adopt, but a male 23 year old adopting a female 16 year old might raise some eyebrows...

I'll take it!!

-------

Looks like someone ignored what I had typed...

Do you have actual proof of this? Is there actual legitimate proof that people actually believe things like gamma radiation turning you into a giant green hulking monster when you get angry, because they saw it in a movie? Or that they can climb walls just from being bitten from a spider? Do you have proof of people testing these things because they saw it in a movie? Not setting off firecrackers because they're dumb teenagers who got a hold of firecrackers.

You know full fucking well neither of those is the kind of thing I am talking about. You are a liar. A fucking LIAR. I am talking about things like cars exploding after crashes, or paramedics with defibrillators being just about capable of raising the dead, or that glass can be broken bare handed without hurting yourself.

You fucking know full well exactly what I am talking about and you choose instead to lie to my face about my own position. This is why I can't stand talking to you.

Technically I could adopt, but a male 23 year old adopting a female 16 year old might raise some eyebrows...

I've an extra 5 years on me, so it'd be a little less suspicious... Unfortunately this area of the country has no jobs, so there's that.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Wait, Jeb's only 16? I never would guessed. I thought she was in her mid-late 20s. Never bothered to check her profile until now though.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.