Vent

There aren't many alternatives though, no? Overvalued... Overestimated... that's about it...

I'm okay with the use of "cancerous" but only if it really is a fitting analogy. Something that subverts and corrodes something from the inside without it being noticed until too late, kind of thing...

Regards

Personally,i hate the phrase "You have no shame". I've heard it quite a few times from my dad and it became one of the phrases I hate the most.

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

There aren't many alternatives though, no? Overvalued... Overestimated... that's about it...

The alternative really is just "I didn't like it." It sums up how you feel about something without devaluing anyone's opinion.

There really are no reasons I can think of outside of selfish ones to justify the use of the word "overrated" and far too often it's used as an excuse for people to put themselves above someone else for liking something they feel deserves to be disliked and that's pretty messed up.

Retired Forum Moderator

IMHO "Overrated" means "you like it more than it objectively qualifies for", implying you are wrong in liking it that much and your opinion is skewed by extraneous factors and does not reflect the intrinsic worthiness of the object itself.

"I didn't like it" is simply not sufficient for that all...

Regards

There's no real wrong or right in what you like. If you like something, you like it. Same for if you dislike it. How much something is liked/disliked is not a direct measure of how good/bad it is. Plenty of people love The Room and objectively speaking that movie is garbage. They just don't love it for being a well made movie but they aren't wrong for loving it. It captured them in it's poorness and became something special to them. Telling people they're wrong for liking something that by objective industry standards is bad is, well, wrong.

Edit: I guess what I hate the most about this word is how often people use the "objective" to devalue the "subjective". Like, the 2 don't HAVE to go hand in hand...

Retired Forum Moderator

But what about things like popular medicines, economic policies, brands, stocks, financial instruments?

Everywhere there may be a subjective element to that, a crowd hysteria effect...

And what about "underrated"? - For example, movies like "Starship Troopers", which are universally misunderstood and so "liked" much less than they deserve to be...

There need to be words to describe all that...

Regards

My aim of this venting is in the realm of movie/game critics. I don't use "underrated" any more than I use the word "overrated" because I acknowledge that in both scenarios, regardless of how I feel, it all comes back down to opinion. I'm no authority on what is and isn't deserving of attention much less than the rest of us.

Also, I put this in a double edit above but I guess I'll move it down here:

http://www.indiewire.com/2014/11/why-overrated-is-a-garbage-word-125426/

This actually has a better worded version of what i'm trying to say in this one paragraph:

"But the aim behind declaring something "overrated" isn’t prompting a reconsideration: It’s proving (so to speak) that those who esteem it are wrong — or rather, since there’s no way to prove that point, drowning them in enough contempt that they’re too ashamed to fight back. It’s a garbage word, conveying attitude without argument; it’s a placeholder for actual thought, the rhetorical equivalent of a "Scene Missing" card. It is, for lack of a better word, overrated."

This is the general purpose use of the word and that's what I hate about it. Not saying everyone who uses the word uses it for this intent but there's so much better more constructive ways of making a point outside of one often misused word.

Now as much as I enjoy civilly discussing something for once, We are shifting too far from the intended purpose of this thread.

Retired Forum Moderator

Ah, okay - that gives me more idea about the context...

Still, I think that the actual use of the word is at issue here, rather than the word or its concept itself. If it is used with contempt - then it just becomes a part of an ad hominem attack...

I was thinking of its use in a rational argument...

Regards

So i'm gonna retake a subject this semester, and there's a chance i'm going to see one of my most hated professors. Now this guy's an apathetic asshole when it comes to grading us, to the point of being unfair. He better hope i'm not in his class this semester, 'cos i'm so close to giving him the fist, rip that fucking smirk off his face.

Welp, now what?

So I bought Mirror's Edge Catalyst, on Origin, a few days ago. Normally, I install a game overnight (right before going to bed), so I can play the next day. Not this game, nope, I've had it for about 4 days now, it's now at 37% downloaded! What the hell EA?! Is Origin normally like this? Is it normally this slow? I got Origin just for this bloody game! Nice job making me regret that decision.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

So I bought Mirror's Edge Catalyst, on Origin, a few days ago. Normally, I install a game overnight (right before going to bed), so I can play the next day. Not this game, nope, I've had it for about 4 days now, it's now at 37% downloaded! What the hell EA?! Is Origin normally like this? Is it normally this slow? I got Origin just for this bloody game! Nice job making me regret that decision.

Strange, I typically get faster download speeds with Origin than Steam.

the name's riley

yeah same for me. I generally get about 100 kbps more on origin. (a lot for my internet. Literally the difference of several hours.)

Retired Forum Moderator

for me it's usually a difference of 2mb/s with constant drops to 10-12 mb/s consistent

but i guess not everyone's experience is the same, it is just really strange though

the name's riley

So I was watching this argument unfold about open world games and one of the things they were arguing about was the graphics in the new Zelda game coming out. Now, I don't care either way, but this particular crowd is about as lovable as the black plague so the argument was spectacular to watch. However, one comment stood out that I feel the need to address.

"It's an open world game. Of course it's graphics are gonna suck."

... what?

Seriously though, what kind of excuse is that? Lemme give a few examples why that statement is stupid.

Witcher 3

Dying Light

Subnautica

Crysis (First one. Open world elements. Every level was essentially a linear objective on an open, giant map with point B somewhere in the mix.)

Far Cry 3 and later

MGSV: PP

GTA V

Being an open world game is no excuse to cut corners. Bethesda does that all the time with TES and Fallout and while I still enjoy those games those cut corners are like a beacon in the night to me. Why is this even an argument point anyways? They're bitching about the look of an incomplete game where the only thing that looks unfinished is the fucking graphics. At least wait until it's released or even just close to release to scrutinize the visuals, christ. Not like it's impossible to swap out a mesh or replace a texture...

Retired Forum Moderator

In my opinion, the worse the graphics are, the easier and faster the game will run. So if it's open world, it'll want to load a lot in a small amount of time - so really, bad graphics + open world isn't all that bad. XD But that's still a terrible comment, I agree.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Being an open world game is no excuse to cut corners. Bethesda does that all the time with TES and Fallout and while I still enjoy those games those cut corners are like a beacon in the night to me. Why is this even an argument point anyways? They're bitching about the look of an incomplete game where the only thing that looks unfinished is the fucking graphics. At least wait until it's released or even just close to release to scrutinize the visuals, christ. Not like it's impossible to swap out a mesh or replace a texture...

Complete or incomplete, the visuals don't depend on graphics in the slightest

Nintendo games are pretty much known for looking beautiful despite generally lower graphical quality, it runs AND looks better most of the time. New LoZ is no different and I wouldn't be surprised if BotW beat Twilight Princess HD both in terms of visual appeal and framerate.

the name's riley

I think I'm done with GTA V on the PC. They apparently have no clue how to properly update their launcher since the only way to not get it to crash is to manually download a new launcher every update and that is a hassle and a half. By the time I get the damn game working I'm too sick of it all to even want to play it so I end up putting it down and the next time I want to play it HEY GUESS WHAT LAUNCHER UPDATE THAT STILL FUCKING FAILS. For a year now they've been getting "update failed" topics on their forums. You'd think they'd have figured this out by now.

Edit: So apparently Rockstar's fix is to open command prompt in the game folder and tell the computer to run the launcher without chunked downloads, which worked. I have one question:

WHY?! This is not a user friendly solution. This is not a fix. This is not acceptable as an excuse to not fix the problem. This is a "fix" suggested 6 months ago. FIX THE PROBLEM ROCKSTAR THIS IS DUMB AS HELL!

Retired Forum Moderator

I wanted to make a joke about this thread has become the "Rarity Hates Everything" subforum, but I figured he/she might fly through the internet and punch me into another plane of existence... :P(you know I'm just kidding, I also apologize for not actually knowing your gender)

I really wish the managers at Asda would grasp that I'm actually capable of doing my job without spending the entire time micromanaging my shift and fixating on desperately unimportant things. Like the fact that one beige crate turned up on a shelf filled with black ones - which I didn't even put there. I've honestly had so many altercations with senior staff over the last decade or so that it's a miracle I haven't been sacked. I guess they figured they can't afford to let go of the one person working on my department who actually knows how to put a box on top on another box, or put food on an empty shelf without immediately falling over and mysteriously combusting into flames. The store manager asked me for the seven billionth time in several hours if I was working the stock I was in the process of working as I was working it, and I sarcastically replied that I wasn't and was instead planning on starting a back-alley abortion clinic in the produce department. Working in retail will turn you into a genocidal maniac, trust me.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa