Vent

Im done. Im quitting tomorrow. This one actually has some humour in it.

At work today. First thing that happened is that one of my colleagues asks me to take a two-man visit by myself because she cant be assed to do it. To which I reply: "No way." then she got pissy and left.

Told another one of colleagues that I was feeling burnt out and Im not really functioning after being a bit slow at a visit, to which she replies: "HOW DO YOU THINK WE FEEL?! (obviously refering to the fact that she is part of the non substitutes) HOW MANY HOURS DID YOU EVEN PUT IN THIS MONTH?" I replied: "Im not burnt out just because of work." She made a snorting, half laugh "are you serious?" noise and I completely lost it and went: "Never fucking mind then!" and walked off, she followed me and started making small talk like we were friends, to everything she said, I replied with the same snorting noise and with: "Good for you, go write it down so I can remember it." She then acted really surprised and just went: "Ok, I gotta go now, bye."

Now! Back to the first colleague! We got to said two-man visit. She starts with interrupting the person who we are supposed to help, I tell her to shut up and wait her turn like a normal human being. She over-complicates a million things, and when we finally get to the bedroom, thats when the shit starts for real.

We are supposed to use a lift to get this person from the wheelchair to the bed. We have been nagging for 5 months to get a lift, so that we wont break our backs. She starts to insist that we "only use the lift in the morning" I tell her that we use it in the evening aswell, and that it doesnt matter, its a lift, not medication.

She keeps insisting that we dont use the lift and I just go: "Fine, but you'll do the heavy part." She cant do the heavy part, so I have to. After ALOT of lifting with my back, trying to get into a good position for lifting and such, we FINALLY get this person right in the bed. We leave the apartment and she goes: "Ouch, my back hurts."

I then proceed to give her a long good lecture on why she is a fucking moron and that she is hurting herself and me because she refuses to use the equipment that we have. After this, she ALSO starts to make small talk with me, asking me questions she has never asked like: "Do you have a girlfriend? What do you do in your sparetime?" We have worked together for 5 months, and usually I only get a "Mhm." when I say "Good morning!".

My theory is that these people need us substitutes (is this the right word?) to do all the heavy work for them but as soon as one bites back and they realise that they've crossed the line, they turn into kittens since they dont want to get on our bad side. Ive talked to the other mortals and they tell me that they get pushed around, too. Im glad I can bite back, the question is how far its gonna go before I bite too hard. Then again, one person gave the WRONG FREAKING MEDICINE to one person and he is STILL EMPLOYED. Maybe I dont have to worry.

"Life sucks sober!"

Doublenature, congratulations and good luck!

Small vent:

I absolutely hate smelly cheese. My dad loves this stuff however, and our fridge is full of it. This means that if you open it for just a second the smell will fill the entire room. The ENTIRE HOUSE has a faint smell of disgusting cheese now and I think I'm going insane.

https://mic.com/articles/168188/milk-nazis-white-supremacists-creamy-pseudo-science-trump-shia-labeouf#.jf2bMCk7g

I want to fill this "journalists" shoes with the most angular lego's and make him run 100 miles. How could anyone. ANYONE. be this ungodly stupid? "milk is now a symbol of white supremacy" what, did you microwave your head before you wrote this? Paint chips? Sniffing glue? Sharpie? All of the above?! What the hell do you have to do to render your brain so broken that you see a bunch of wannabe irl shitposters and actually take them seriously?

I'm just so incredibly stupefied; just absolutely mystified by how fucking dumb this is. For the authors sake I hope to the high high heavens that this is satire and I'm the actual idiot here for thinking he's serious because if it's not, god save his soul because none of us can.

Retired Forum Moderator

https://mic.com/articles/168188/milk-nazis-white-supremacists-creamy-pseudo-science-trump-shia-labeouf#.jf2bMCk7g

I want to fill this "journalists" shoes with the most angular lego's and make him run 100 miles. How could anyone. ANYONE. be this ungodly stupid? "milk is now a symbol of white supremacy" what, did you microwave your head before you wrote this? Paint chips? Sniffing glue? Sharpie? All of the above?! What the hell do you have to do to render your brain so broken that you see a bunch of wannabe irl shitposters and actually take them seriously?

I'm just so incredibly stupefied; just absolutely mystified by how fucking dumb this is. For the authors sake I hope to the high high heavens that this is satire and I'm the actual idiot here for thinking he's serious because if it's not, god save his soul because none of us can.

67407732.jpg

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

.Mic is worse than Huffington Post tier, I'm actually 90% sure they're satire.

the name's riley

That's a funny coincidence. My friend at work just told me today about an Anzis Ansari bit where he talked about how anything can sound like an offensive slur if you say it right, and the example was calling someone a "milk box".

Fun times.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I absolutely hate smelly cheese. My dad loves this stuff however, and our fridge is full of it. This means that if you open it for just a second the smell will fill the entire room. The ENTIRE HOUSE has a faint smell of disgusting cheese now and I think I'm going insane.

icon_lol.gif I'm genuinely sorry for laughing at your misfortune Reverend.

Maybe We could swap our dads, or loan them out to each other for a preordained time. I must confess to loving stereotypically smelly food (English mustard, onions, garlic, coriander, blue cheese, curry pastes, etc) whilst my dad can't abide anything with a fragrance. Me and your dad could have spend ersatz father/son quality time with each other, eating all sorts of delicious aromatic crap. Meanwhile you could accompany my dad on his boot-sale excursions to find blue and white china plates - whilst eating bread and Cadburys chocolate almost exclusively... :P

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Doublenature, congratulations and good luck!

Small vent:

Thank you! Ive basically quit now, Im just gonna wait for my contract to expire, so that it doesnt hurt my job searching in the future.

Oh god, parents and smelly foods... I know this all too well.

"Life sucks sober!"

So, I spent the last week or so being very sick and being very angry at being sick because I couldn't get anything done. Angry and sick is not a fun time, let me tell you. But, I'm on the mends now. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Oh boy two issues, both work related.

First one: So, I get a call from a lady saying how she brought in her home made sweater, and was told drycleaning it would cost $5.89. She was later told it would cost $15 something. (Nothing I can do about it) she then tells me she wants it returned so she can get it cleaned elsewhere. She comes in, demanding her sweater, and I have no clue where it was put. So I'm searching for it, as she's describing it, and she's getting impatient. She threatens to call the police, and she wants me to call the manager or the owner(s) (manager doesn't like being called after hours so that's a no go, and I don't have any of the owner's numbers). There's also the lady who first helped her, and suggested the $15, but there's little she can do at this point, and plus reaching her is iffy. I tell her that, even though she doesn't like it, she might have to come back the next day. As I'm saying this, I start to go back to my job, tagging clothing. As I pick up this jacket like outfit, she tells me that's her sweater. This thing? It looks like a hand made jacket, not sweater, which would be $15 something (thoughts, not what I said) I just hand it to her. She still threatened to call someone (owner or manager) and complain.

I don't know if it could have gone better or what, from my perspective, I did all that I could do.

Second situation: So last Friday, dude came, to drop off clothes, wrote a check, and asked if we could turn it in on the 10th. Never dealt with that kind of situation before, don't know all the details that go into something like that, unless it's something as simple as holding the check until the 10th (at the earliest). I even told the guy that I don't know if it can be done, but we can try. (Do note, he has a thick accent so it can be tricky to understand what exactly he's saying). He called tonight, bringing up the check, and from what I can gather, the check was turned in to the bank, and he was complaining the check bounced or something. I don't know, hard to tell with his accent. Didn't help that I had to help one customer, while on the phone with another.

It's moments like these, I fear I will end up fired.

Oh boy two issues, both work related.

First one: So, I get a call from a lady saying how she brought in her home made sweater, and was told drycleaning it would cost $5.89. She was later told it would cost $15 something. (Nothing I can do about it) she then tells me she wants it returned so she can get it cleaned elsewhere. She comes in, demanding her sweater, and I have no clue where it was put. So I'm searching for it, as she's describing it, and she's getting impatient. She threatens to call the police, and she wants me to call the manager or the owner(s) (manager doesn't like being called after hours so that's a no go, and I don't have any of the owner's numbers). There's also the lady who first helped her, and suggested the $15, but there's little she can do at this point, and plus reaching her is iffy. I tell her that, even though she doesn't like it, she might have to come back the next day. As I'm saying this, I start to go back to my job, tagging clothing. As I pick up this jacket like outfit, she tells me that's her sweater. This thing? It looks like a hand made jacket, not sweater, which would be $15 something (thoughts, not what I said) I just hand it to her. She still threatened to call someone (owner or manager) and complain.

I don't know if it could have gone better or what, from my perspective, I did all that I could do.

Second situation: So last Friday, dude came, to drop off clothes, wrote a check, and asked if we could turn it in on the 10th. Never dealt with that kind of situation before, don't know all the details that go into something like that, unless it's something as simple as holding the check until the 10th (at the earliest). I even told the guy that I don't know if it can be done, but we can try. (Do note, he has a thick accent so it can be tricky to understand what exactly he's saying). He called tonight, bringing up the check, and from what I can gather, the check was turned in to the bank, and he was complaining the check bounced or something. I don't know, hard to tell with his accent. Didn't help that I had to help one customer, while on the phone with another.

It's moments like these, I fear I will end up fired.

Eesh, you're always gonna get some weird customers like that. But with the first scenario, did you ask the lady what the 'sweater' looked like exactly? Colours, material, patterning, deco, stuff like that. That can help avoid confusion and conflict.

Also I'm not sure how your job exactly works but if people can just say; "Yeah that's my clothing", can't anyone do that and just steal something that's not theirs? XD

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Eesh, you're always gonna get some weird customers like that. But with the first scenario, did you ask the lady what the 'sweater' looked like exactly? Colours, material, patterning, deco, stuff like that. That can help avoid confusion and conflict.

Also I'm not sure how your job exactly works but if people can just say; "Yeah that's my clothing", can't anyone do that and just steal something that's not theirs? XD

Yeah, she was describing the back of the sweater-that-totally-looked-like-a-jacket, but not the inside, which I had up. It was only when I had lifted it a little to try and tag our tag on top of the clothing's tag, when she had noticed the back of the sweater. As far as potentially stealing someone else's stuff, honestly, the closest that has happened, the person who 'stole' the clothing called back and said he had someone else's. Which was caused with a mix up on the tagging. But ultimately, before we can hand back your clothing, we ring you up, we match the information given to us with the information on the clothing. If anything, they'll tell us they're picking up someone else's, like their wife's clothing.

"It's a joke."

"A joke would imply that it's supposed to be funny."

There it is. There's my biggest pet peeve ever. That sentence right there is how you wrap up condescension, self-entitlement, and embodiment of killjoy into one, ugly package. Your lack of humor doesn't make something less of a joke, it just means you didn't find it funny. Period. Hard stop. End of conditions. Get over yourself.

Seriously though, if something isn't funny, just, idunno, be not-stupid and maybe do something else? I can guarantee you 110% or your money back that the person you say that to isn't gonna give a shit how you feel, so why even bother? Go do something that makes you happy instead of being a shit to someone else. Unless being a shit to someone else makes you happy in which case may your shoes forever be filled with legoes and your days forever full of stubbed toes.

Retired Forum Moderator

That's the thing though, jokes are meant to be funny. It's the very definition of a joke. If people don't realize what you're doing and/or saying is supposed to be funny, then your joke failed. The most recent example of this is Pewdiepie's racist jokes that he payed people to do. People didn't realize they were meant to be jokes, thus they took them, and him, serious.

Hell, in the right setting and with the right context (among a few other things) you can joke about anything, and people will find it funny, when normally they wouldn't. For example (which I'm stealing from Matpat's theory video) Louis CK's rape joke:

z3xoiShfknA

(starts around the 2:40 mark)

Now normally, rape is something I wouldn't joke about (and I do have a dark sense of humor) and I wouldn't find it funny to joke about. But here, I find it funny.

Without context, I could go up to some stranger and go "I'MMA RAPE YA BITCH!" odds are, they wouldn't find it funny.

Now if we were talking about TFS/DBZA and quoting the series and I went 'i'MMA RAPE YA BITCH!" There's a good chance they'll remember this scene:

C3WCNbsq9wI

and find it funny.

@Psychotic; In my personal opinion, no, jokes aren't always meant to be funny. People have different senses of humor. Some dark, some light, some smart, some simple. :) When I watch stand up comedy or something, sometimes something the comedian will say I find will be funny. Other times I won't find what they say as funny, but my family is cackling hysterically. It's not that I didn't understand, it's just that I didn't find it funny. XD Simple as that.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Just because you didn't find it funny doesn't mean it's not a joke.

^That's kinda the point I was making all along. :/

There's good jokes and bad jokes, just like there's good/bad food, movies, music, etc. The point is that they still remain what they are regardless of their timing, quality, and/or deliverance. What I hate are people who use the idea of a failed joke or something they don't find funny as a reason to put people down when they could just go about their day without making a scene. It's part of my strong distaste for the modern day Age of Outrage. No one seems to be able to just quietly dislike something and move onto something they do like. They gotta make sure everyone within a 2000 mile radius knows just how pissed they are over ultimately trivial bullshit.

And yeah, I'd say some jokes aren't made with the intention of being funny in the first place. I often make jokes with little humor in them more out of desire to alleviate my annoyance with something in a less "spread the pain" manner. If anything, the reaction I'm looking for is a sympathetic "I know what you mean" chuckle.

Also my favorite kind of humor is the kind that would make twitter and tumblr pop a blood vessel. What can I say, the shock value of "did they really just say that?" treats my humor nerve right. So you can imagine how annoying the "you secretly meant it, Actual Hitler" attitude gets. <_<

Retired Forum Moderator

^That's kinda the point I was making all along. :/

No offense to Ninja or anything but he isn't well known for being consistent.

There's good jokes and bad jokes, just like there's good/bad food, movies, music, etc. The point is that they still remain what they are regardless of their timing, quality, and/or deliverance. What I hate are people who use the idea of a failed joke or something they don't find funny as a reason to put people down when they could just go about their day without making a scene. It's part of my strong distaste for the modern day Age of Outrage. No one seems to be able to just quietly dislike something and move onto something they do like. They gotta make sure everyone within a 2000 mile radius knows just how pissed they are over ultimately trivial bullshit.

And yeah, I'd say some jokes aren't made with the intention of being funny in the first place. I often make jokes with little humor in them more out of desire to alleviate my annoyance with something in a less "spread the pain" manner. If anything, the reaction I'm looking for is a sympathetic "I know what you mean" chuckle.

Also my favorite kind of humor is the kind that would make twitter and tumblr pop a blood vessel. What can I say, the shock value of "did they really just say that?" treats my humor nerve right. So you can imagine how annoying the "you secretly meant it, Actual Hitler" attitude gets. <_<

Humor is entirely subjective and I won't argue against that, but if a joke succeeded more in making people feel uncomfortable than making people laugh, it HAS failed as a joke, and your audience has every right to call you out and complain. I won't say it's right to complain about a joke you don't understand or don't like, or complain about people who think things you find offensive are funny, but if you're going to tell a joke that can offend and probably will, you should be more than prepared to handle criticism for it. When you tell a joke on a controversial matter has little to no humor in it, it's automatically grounds to justify people arguing with you about it.

the name's riley

Pointing out my favorite type of humor may have skewed my message a bit. I'm all for accepting the criticisms of a highly offensive joke since you'd have to have a special kind of disconnect to say one and then get upset when people get offended, especially when you know it's offensive to begin with. However what I do find grating and annoying is when you tell a joke that's ultimately harmless and innocuous and someone just happened to get upset over it for some reason only they could have and then decide that you're the one that needs to change instead of them accepting that they don't like it and moving on.

I guess ultimately you can sum it up as me being tired of people taking thing's that aren't offensive and somehow finding a way to get offended by it and put people down. That "imply it was supposed to be funny" line just happens to be what I keep seeing and honestly, I wouldn't miss it one bit if that phrase just seized to exist one day.

Tangent: Can IRL just chill with the health emergencies for one god damned second? My friend who's spent months under the fall path of a giant dying tree hanging over his room finally got enough money to have the tree removed, and then my dad get's hospitalized with pneumonia a week later. Several weeks after that and he's recovered, out of the hospital and doing fine, only to find out my friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

I seriously can't handle this right now I'm so stressed I'm about to cry ffs. Hopefully this trend of everything turning out okay continues. I don't think I can take losing another friend right now.

Retired Forum Moderator

Really random vent; I absolutely love the idea of Fidget cubes. Those cubes that have a bunch of buttons and sliders on them. I'd love to get one but I can usually find other means to use my hands whilst I'm doing things, like waving a pen back and forth or drawing shapes on a bit of paper. But you know what I hate? People who have a mental disorder or whatever who complain; "They're not for you, they're made for people who have ADHD and those who have anxiety disorders". They're fidget cubes, they're not strictly for people who suffer from a disorder. What if I just like fidgeting? I shouldn't be growled at for wanting a fidget cube, and I don't want others like me to be growled at for wanting them because; "But you don't need to use them! You don't have a disorder!". I understand you have a disorder, it's a problem, but you're still not 'special' and you need to figure out that fidgeting isn't just something only YOU do. Fidget cubes shouldn't be strictly given to those with disorders. I want it because it's fucking fun. XD Fuck me. I don't give a flying fucking shit if you have ADHD or not, you shouldn't get all hissy when people start buying them for their own entertainment. It's a fucking cube you play with, get over it.

-------