Vent

I can NOT FUCKING BELIEVE that in my NINTH GRADE HIGH SCHOOL CLASS they are NO JOKE ACTUALLY TRYING TO TEACH ME WHAT A FUCKING IDIOM IS.

How has the U.S. education system degraded SO FAR that they just ASSUME that a person who has been on the planet for FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS might not have picked up that sometimes people aren't literal?

Don't give me that other languages shit either. Spanish has idioms. German has idioms. Fucking BELARUSIAN has idioms. But the schools now are either SO ABSOLUTELY FUCKED BY POLITICAL CORRECTNESS that they have to artificially increase overall grades or feel the wrath of litigious soccer moms, or they really think that little of students that one of the most FUNDAMENTAL ASPECTS of LANGUAGE is something they should be learning in their TEENAGE YEARS.

It's an absolute insult to the intelligence of anyone who has been breathing oxygen for the last six years of their life, let alone FOURTEEN. Fucking hell, you'd think they'd KNOW this since at one point they WERE fourteen.

This must be the best proof I have that the education system here in the U.S. is absolutely FUCKED.

HOW on EARTH does this happen?!

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

Red and yellow do go together.

I can NOT FUCKING BELIEVE that in my NINTH GRADE HIGH SCHOOL CLASS they are NO JOKE ACTUALLY TRYING TO TEACH ME WHAT A FUCKING IDIOM IS.

How has the U.S. education system degraded SO FAR that they just ASSUME that a person who has been on the planet for FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS might not have picked up that sometimes people aren't literal?

Don't give me that other languages shit either. Spanish has idioms. German has idioms. Fucking BELARUSIAN has idioms. But the schools now are either SO ABSOLUTELY FUCKED BY POLITICAL CORRECTNESS that they have to artificially increase overall grades or feel the wrath of litigious soccer moms, or they really think that little of students that one of the most FUNDAMENTAL ASPECTS of LANGUAGE is something they should be learning in their TEENAGE YEARS.

It's an absolute insult to the intelligence of anyone who has been breathing oxygen for the last six years of their life, let alone FOURTEEN. Fucking hell, you'd think they'd KNOW this since at one point they WERE fourteen.

This must be the best proof I have that the education system here in the U.S. is absolutely FUCKED.

Why complain? Easy learning, easy testing, easy graduation. XD

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Why complain? Easy learning, easy testing, easy graduation. XD

This is bigger than an easy grade. If this is indicative of the education system as a whole, and yes I was homeschooled, then HOLY FUCK NO WONDER the national average intelligence is slipping. An education system that acts like this could seriously endanger the country. It's not that the idioms themselves should be taught earlier or later, it's that THEY THINK SO LITTLE OF US THAT THEY WAITED UNTIL HIGH SCHOOL, THE LAST THREE YEARS OF PUBLIC, COMPULSORY EDUCATION TO CONSIDER US MENTALLY SUFFICIENT ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND IDIOMS.

IDIOMS! One of the basic parts of speech! I mastered that shit before Fukushima Daiichi melted down, and I've got the Concrete Think Disease, imagine a correctly functioning brain!

That they think THAT leads me to wonder exactly WHAT they think of younger children and how they teach them! If the younger kids aren't being taught well, then how on Earth could they fare mentally by the time they graduate for actual work, or dare I say problems in life?

Now that I think about it, a lot of the people in these college riots are recent high school graduates. Don't you think that maybe there might be a correlation with our fucking HORRENDOUS schooling and these stupid, violent people?

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

So just to clarify, you're NOT in 9th grade?

the name's riley

So just to clarify, you're NOT in 9th grade?

I am in the 9th grade. The present tense should have been sign number one.

If you ARE in 9th grade, don't worry, complaining about what you're being taught is a habit you'll grow out of eventually.

As well as complaining about peoples' taste in media, and the people others choose to associate with, among other things

the name's riley

If you ARE in 9th grade, don't worry, complaining about what you're being taught is a habit you'll grow out of eventually.

As well as complaining about peoples' taste in media, and the people others choose to associate with, among other things

No. Not this one. Those others are petty personal things, but this is a MAJOR PROBLEM. It's one thing for someone to like a movie with a plot based on swiss cheese. It's another for PUBLIC SCHOOLS, the things most people are required BY LAW to attend, to be SO INEFFECTIVE that it takes them THE LAST QUARTER OF COMPULSORY EDUCATION to start covering IDIOMS. You'd have to wonder how else they're doing as little as possible to teach as they can. It doesn't help that all you need to enter the honour roll is to attend school every 4 days out of the week. If my high school's curriculum is indicative of public schooling as a whole, then this directly affects a hundred million people.

If you could give me a reason why I'm being unreasonable, then go right ahead and convince me.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

No. Not this one. Those others are petty personal things, but this is a MAJOR PROBLEM. It's one thing for someone to like a movie with a plot based on swiss cheese. It's another for PUBLIC SCHOOLS, the things most people are required BY LAW to attend, to be SO INEFFECTIVE that it takes them THE LAST QUARTER OF COMPULSORY EDUCATION to start covering IDIOMS. You'd have to wonder how else they're doing as little as possible to teach as they can. It doesn't help that all you need to enter the honour roll is to attend school every 4 days out of the week. If my high school's curriculum is indicative of public schooling as a whole, then this directly affects a hundred million people.

You're only in 9th grade dude, a lot of high school is just repetition of stuff you've already learned. As long as you're learning other high school level stuff, you really have nothing to worry about.

the name's riley

You're only in 9th grade dude, a lot of high school is just repetition of stuff you've already learned. As long as you're learning other high school level stuff, you really have nothing to worry about.

There should at least be more than a third or a quarter of the class being new information. Do you know why China is doing so well for itself? Oh, sure, there's a billion people there, but guess what else? Their schools are notoriously "hard" and yet the children learned it all just fine. Meanwhile we have some of the laxest grades and most redundant, self-evident classes and guess how we've been doing for the last 60 years?

Last I checked China wasn't doing well for itself, but okay

the name's riley

Dude, just chill out. XD You're in 9th fucking grade. Just wait until Grade 11/12. You'll be begging to go back to Grade 9.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

If u wanne learn more than in your crap school then no one holds you from science or more proffesional books, or movies even YT if u want something better than system. Clever ppl allready know the school system is not for learning things but just passing it. Make learning yourself a hobby then.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Calm down,man. I had to go through the same thing and I barely made it. I know how you feel but please relax,okay?

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

It's another for PUBLIC SCHOOLS, the things most people are required BY LAW to attend, to be SO INEFFECTIVE that it takes them THE LAST QUARTER OF COMPULSORY EDUCATION to start covering IDIOMS.

You should be thankful you are not required to study the history of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union... I was in my school days...

Regards

I'm not in disagreement that the school system is bad. It's um... really bad. I just think that when they decided to teach idioms is kind of missing the mark. I could point out a few firsthand examples, such as how the only class I ever had that has been of any use to me was an elective, or how at 26 I still have trouble when it comes to figuring out taxes and government forms and where to even begin with job finding and home ownership because math operations that still hold no relevance to me even as a programmer are more important. Or even how your only hope of ever getting a critical thinking class, something that I'd argue is extremely important, is if your COLLEGE offers it. As an elective. There's a lot more wrong at the core honestly.

Retired Forum Moderator

If u wanne learn more than in your crap school then no one holds you from science or more proffesional books, or movies even YT if u want something better than system. Clever ppl allready know the school system is not for learning things but just passing it. Make learning yourself a hobby then.

cqHH2Dpl.jpg

Thanks for the tip, Diane Sawyer. What else, we've found electrons coming off of uranium?

Alright, that's just me being a dick. . .

I'm not in disagreement that the school system is bad. It's um... really bad. I just think that when they decided to teach idioms is kind of missing the mark. I could point out a few firsthand examples, such as how the only class I ever had that has been of any use to me was an elective, or how at 26 I still have trouble when it comes to figuring out taxes and government forms and where to even begin with job finding and home ownership because math operations that still hold no relevance to me even as a programmer are more important. Or even how your only hope of ever getting a critical thinking class, something that I'd argue is extremely important, is if your COLLEGE offers it. As an elective. There's a lot more wrong at the core honestly.

It's not literally about when they decided to teach idioms. It's this whole "the school is useless" thing, that's only symbolised by the idioms. Kind of like "hands up, don't shoot" is to "let's kill cops".

Gonna vent too because its something I had in my mind for a while actually...

We have this one chick in class that drives us all nuts. She allways complains, in an hour is able to tell you all about her life and she allways feels offended. Of course she doesnt hang out with anyone and if we have some tasks or project, she allways gets first in line without asking anyone if there is any line and talks with professors for half and hour. Id ignore her if only her bitchy attitude and mannerisms werent that annoying. Her art is even okay, some profesors says her project ideas were kinda weak or say she only draws same shits like forest and trees and she allways tells how she hates this city and people. Maybe im overreacting but i fucking hate such snobby asocial people....

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I like how my decision to check on tumblr to see if anything changed is perfectly aligned with tumblr doing something to reinforce my decision to not go there anymore. Popped in for the first time in a while to see some post going on about how sexist the Bayonetta games are.

Which I guess would be somewhat valid, if Bayonetta WASN'T designed by a women. Which she was. Even during the design process the 3 key points the artist was given was "Female lead, modern day witch, uses 4 guns." But you know, beautiful/sexy fictional women is inherently sexist because Tumblr the Infallible says so. Doesn't matter if they are intelligent and kick ass on top of everything.

Generally when you campaign against something you're supposed to actually know what you're talking about but silly me, research is for idiots I guess. It's like every time they want to make a scene about something in the game industry they always chose the wrong games. That tends to happen when you rant about a game before you even play the first level.

Retired Forum Moderator

I made a decision a while back to unfollow every blog that made serious political posts since heated political discussion isn't what I came to tumblr for. I can safely say my browsing experience is much more enjoyable.

the name's riley