Freeman's Mind gun sounds

The people have spoken, a new era of effects and sound has begun!

(wags finger)

Ah ah ah, he said he was going with what the majority of people decided. 37% is not a majority, it's a plurality. ;)

Yeah, I know, it's a stretch.

wait, lemme just... check dis a sec...

Oh, yes YES! THE ORACLE'S MESSAGE HAS BEEN HEARD (correctly)!!!

My fault, a "mayoría" is literally a "plurality", but they often translate it simply as "majority"... God damn you, anglo-saxons!

*waves closed fists up in the air*

I think this means we'll need a 2nd turn, this time with only 2 options.

.MKVs are a versatile format that can hold multiple audio tracks. I agree with what was said earlier. Keep the non-intrusive version's audio mix in the same .MKV as a separate track, if it comes to that.

A Kung-Fu Master, Thomas and Silvia were suddenly attacked by several unknown guys.

I think you guys can keep up the new gun sounds (even though I don't really see why exactly having new gun sounds in your series is relevant) as long as you fix the synchronization issues and remember to do a good job with keeping them constant in your videos, because in episode 47 when the aliens came down from the ship and freeman started firing at the flying alien ship, you forgot to add in the new gun sounds there and i just thought it was kinda awkward.

I literally only joined the forums to post a comment on this topic. I've been a dedicated fan since the creation of the series, and I'd really like to think you, yes you Ross, are reading each and every post in this thread. I personally don't see why you would consider all of the sudden changing all of the game's iconic sound effects, which are hands down staples of Half Life, the Half Life series and VALVe. I'm assuming that most of us here tuning into Freeman's mind are dedicated Half Life fans who grew up on this game and were essentially introduced to and became hooked with the FPS genre because of this game back in '98. So why change what we've all grown to love?

More so, why all of the sudden make this dramatic change (and yes I use the word dramatic because this IS in fact a dramatic change to your series) 47 episodes into it? I understand that your sound editor took some liberty with his work and this wasn't really your decision, but regardless I was more than a little shocked and almost put off by your latest episode because of the switch. Sure the volume of these new effects had something to do with it, but the original sounds really define Half Life, and they bring us all back to that simpler time in the late '90s of early FPS gaming. All of the sudden I thought I was thrown into the middle of your run of the mill, modern shooter, or some over the top action movie. These sounds just don't fit with the context, and style of the game, there's no correlation between what I'm seeing on the screen, and these over the top, in your face effects. Their presence is too dominating for what's happening in the video.

Anyways, I'm going to wrap this up here because I doubt anyone will actually read through this entire post, but like I said, this is really directed at Ross himself, and I really do hope he looks it over and considers it.

One last thing before I go... Why the poison crab effects from Half Life 2 for the crabs in Half Life 1? This was one of my biggest upsets with the last video. I kept expecting Freeman to turn around and see one of those black, rattling menaces in a corner. If you end up keeping these new sounds, at least assign the enemies their correct noises.

- BLT

I voted no for the new sounds of the MP5

X6aM4He.pngit's a bit tinny

and yes for the new sounds of the Colt

0a0ZG6p.png

ROLFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!! :lol::mrgreen::D

I will like to vote this as the most funny animal photo ever!

"Well... it didn't work Heather!!!"

To be honest, I didn't like new sounds, because they were badly mixed (no offence to the editor).

Some of them were too loud, sometimes you could still hear old sounds together with new ones etc.

IMHO it was a little too messy.

But the tank sound were actually pretty good!

So I would say: only some of new sounds should stay (explosions), but rest (gunshots) should stay original.

Cheers!

replace the gun sounds with quotes from MLP. :P

Please shoot yourself in the face right now so I don't have to.

Unless that was sarcastic...it was sarcastic, right? Please? :|

I would say that I was being sarcastic, but your reaction (and your signature) make me curious as to what you'd say if I didn't...

You spelled ROFL wrong. It's ROFL not ROLF.

Herp de friggin' Derp.

Maybe he was talking about that one kid from Ed, Edd, n' Eddy?

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Well it does work either way, doesn't it? Rolling On the Floor Laughing OR Rolling On the Laughing Floor....

No it doesn't.

Well it does work either way, doesn't it? Rolling On the Floor Laughing OR Rolling On the Laughing Floor....

No it doesn't.

screenshot20120708at113.png

But any who, instead of bothering with this lets just get back to the discussion. So most of the people seem to want dog pictures in the new FM videos.

Nyao nyao~ 子猫は幸せです

I'd probably end up not watching anymore if the new sounds are implemented.

But hey, I'm just one person.

replace the gun sounds with quotes from MLP. :P

Please shoot yourself in the face right now so I don't have to.

Unless that was sarcastic...it was sarcastic, right? Please? :|

Fx7Z5B3wWmE

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Wow, that's a cool amount of input here.

I'm surprised to see so much as 5,300 votes towards this at all (though a fair portion being about pets).

After reading all the pages just now, I'd like to point out that any further episodes are certain to have a more

balanced and consistent volume level, whatever the final choice is for the new sounds. I can imagine Ross

might end up using something a little more similar to the originals, then doing another episode or two to see

what the reaction is. Whatever the case, you can be sure the volume won't jump out at you again.

So far, the voting only showed that there seem to be more cat persons than dog persons among the fans, but that may require additional poll. I kinda felt like there may be more cats.... 8-)

If my cat was still among living, I'd just put a picture too...

And I can't vote because Ross checked if the poll works and it read his vote as mine as well :P

Aw, sorry to hear about your cat. And may I ask what the vote was that you/Ross took?

I think Daniel did a good job with the new sounds. I actually always wanted to see what FM would be like

with newer renditions of gunshots. Lots of the vort attacks, apache shots, tank shots, missile shots or

mounted-gun shots were all redone partially in the series, but I never expected to see the user-handled

weapons changed. It was a good experiment and a nice surprise. I also understand a lot of the Half-Life

nostalgics and people arguing for consistency though.

Freeman's Mind has always had the occasional sound tweak or embellishment for certain events or dramatic

sequences, least of which have been the satellite rocket launch, the tentacle fire blast, the giant fan room,

Freeman getting knocked out, the Shark/Ichthy attack, and any major explosion in the series. Every episode

is full of these "enhancements" that normally do to emphasize the original game environment, rather than to

replace it completely. On that note, there are also no episodes without these mixes; there's barley a minute

that goes by without some additional effect added to bring out the ambiance or explain Freeman's movement.

So you never hear just the original cut from the game; there's thousands of subtle things that won't even get

noticed, especially for newcomers. Though this is kind of a fundamental expectation for all the foley

departments in media. I never personally changed the weapon sounds myself, (aside from the occasional

shotgun bass :P) partly because I'm also a big "Ancient" for Half-Life, but mostly because the work involved

to mod the game that way was far too much for just gunshots, so I didn't see the necessity.

But on the face of it, there's not much difference between changing the tank shots (and everything mentioned

above that I always do) and changing the gun shots... apart from consistency, that is.... So I guess that line is

kind of hard to see; though most everyone agrees the Poison Headcrab did happen to cross it. :P

Wow, that was a very long way to make a point. I apologize, I didn't plan on writing anything.

So anyway, it's perhaps unbefitting of me to vote, but I wanted to say something about the case regardless,

since the sound design in Freeman's Mind has never had so such attention before. :D