Freeman's Mind gun sounds

Well, the tank shots are different because we've only heard it once in the entire series, not even that long ago. The weapon sounds have been the same in every episode since the first one. It's not that they sound bad, it just seems kind of strange to change them years after the fact. Especially considering it wasn't like people were complaining about it. (That I'm aware of.)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

So far, the voting only showed that there seem to be more cat persons than dog persons among the fans, but that may require additional poll. I kinda felt like there may be more cats.... 8-)

If my cat was still among living, I'd just put a picture too...

And I can't vote because Ross checked if the poll works and it read his vote as mine as well :P

Aw, sorry to hear about your cat. And may I ask what the vote was that you/Ross took?

I think Daniel did a good job with the new sounds. I actually always wanted to see what FM would be like

with newer renditions of gunshots. Lots of the vort attacks, apache shots, tank shots, missile shots or

mounted-gun shots were all redone partially in the series, but I never expected to see the user-handled

weapons changed. It was a good experiment and a nice surprise. I also understand a lot of the Half-Life

nostalgics and people arguing for consistency though.

Freeman's Mind has always had the occasional sound tweak or embellishment for certain events or dramatic

sequences, least of which have been the satellite rocket launch, the tentacle fire blast, the giant fan room,

Freeman getting knocked out, the Shark/Ichthy attack, and any major explosion in the series. Every episode

is full of these "enhancements" that normally do to emphasize the original game environment, rather than to

replace it completely. On that note, there are also no episodes without these mixes; there's barley a minute

that goes by without some additional effect added to bring out the ambiance or explain Freeman's movement.

So you never hear just the original cut from the game; there's thousands of subtle things that won't even get

noticed, especially for newcomers. Though this is kind of a fundamental expectation for all the foley

departments in media. I never personally changed the weapon sounds myself, (aside from the occasional

shotgun bass :P) partly because I'm also a big "Ancient" for Half-Life, but mostly because the work involved

to mod the game that way was far too much for just gunshots, so I didn't see the necessity.

But on the face of it, there's not much difference between changing the tank shots (and everything mentioned

above that I always do) and changing the gun shots... apart from consistency, that is.... So I guess that line is

kind of hard to see; though most everyone agrees the Poison Headcrab did happen to cross it. :P

Wow, that was a very long way to make a point. I apologize, I didn't plan on writing anything.

So anyway, it's perhaps unbefitting of me to vote, but I wanted to say something about the case regardless,

since the sound design in Freeman's Mind has never had so such attention before. :D

It's okay... My cat was so old and sick I knew this day is coming sooner or later. But I hoped for later...

I can't reaveal what was Ross vote ;) This would make the whole voting corrupted. Especially for people who don't support the vote that Ross has chosen. :P I can see a new huge discussion arasing from this. Since I'm amazed how people like to discuss about the sounds already!

[i just noticed you also asked for my vote. My vote would be for old sounds, whatever was Ross's vote! But... I'm pretty undecided really. don't want to vote for cats and dogs because of fresh memories of the cat!]

I personally like your job on sound editing Otto, you addd these small or big tastes here and there, in the most suitable moments. It makes episodes uch more realistic and dramatic, even if people aren't aware of these effects. I'm aware of most of these and if I don't notice, Ross tells me usually what was tweaked ;)But you don't always have time to make it on time :P That's a pity

Episode 47 was good as well. I noticed gunfires well a bit too loud but I liked them. But the headcrab sounded a bit odd. I liked that lasers had buzzing added. Maybe you guys can combine your sound editing forces? I can't say who is better with effects... ;)

Both of you sound guys did a good job, although maybe you Otto have more experience to make it better balanced and synchronized ;) . I have pretty sensitive ears and gunshots often irritate me in games. But there's nothing like a good blastoff! :twisted:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

You're totally right, it's better not to reveal his vote. And thanks for your compliment; I didn't think anyone who hadn't

already played Half-Life so much would notice the changes. And I agree, games with good gunshots add a lot of fun!

It's also totally true that I'm often late with the final mixdown, so some things get scrapped.

Well, the tank shots are different because we've only heard it once in the entire series, not even that long ago. The weapon sounds have been the same in every episode since the first one. It's not that they sound bad, it just seems kind of strange to change them years after the fact. Especially considering it wasn't like people were complaining about it. (That I'm aware of.)

Oh wait, I just remembered the last two tanks didn't have the final mix that was intended for them. I think there

was a mix up when Machinima was holding that episode "hostage", so the eventual uploaded version was wrong.

But yeah, I'd agree with that. This is also a new tank model that's not been seen before, so it makes sense.

The change do seem a little late, but I like the inventive thought that went into them.

[EDIT]: So there are 6,000 votes, and the decision has been made:

http://www.accursedfarms.com/freemans-mind-gun-sounds/

2220 for the new sounds, 2155 against, and 1665 neutral parties.

As I said, I voted for, but with some slight alterations... Neither way will make me stop watching the series, and anyone who would is watching for the wrong reasons.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

apparently the next FM episode should just have no sound at this rate XD

although I did vote for "for" awhile ago because I thought it had the potential to sound better and overall make the series sound better.

EDIT: oh sweet ok thanks Ross :3

(totally understandable!)

Yeah!!! Old sounds for the win!!! I thinks it's too bad a lot of people will still be upset about this outcome, but I'm sure everyone will still keep watching Freeman's Mind regardless of the gun sounds.

My question is, if you're willing to change the gun sounds this late in the game, why not make the switch to Black Mesa?

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

My question is, if you're willing to change the gun sounds this late in the game, why not make the switch to Black Mesa?

I guess it's because then the fun would be over after hitting that last portal thing. On Earth, I mean.

Ross didn't change the sounds Otto did so it''s Ross decision whether to switch or not and I'm pretty damn sure Ross won't switch.

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

I might sound a bit mean here but I don't like the Black Mesa mod that much. I just like Half-Life better. The idea that Half-Life is based off of old sci-fi movies just makes it overall better. The level design is nonsensical but it makes sense if it's just based off of crazy sci-fi stories. To simply put it, Black Mesa tried to fix that and removed one of Half-Life's biggest charms. What makes Half-Life so great is the fact that it doesn't make sense.

With Black Mesa into FM, wouldn't a lot of the jokes go away? What about the cardboard cat walks? What about the crazy box smashing room? It just makes more sense to have the crazy sci-fi Half-Life world that doesn't make sense.

Nyao nyao~ 子猫は幸せです

God sake was this really such a major issue? I didn't even bother reading any of these posts but the fact new sound effects managed to spawn six pages is OTT. I didn't even notice there was *NEW GUN SOUNDS!?!?*

God sake was this really such a major issue? I didn't even bother reading any of these posts but the fact new sound effects managed to spawn six pages is OTT. I didn't even notice there was *NEW GUN SOUNDS!?!?*

Half of those pages were dog and cat pictures and people responding to them, while the others were individual people chiming in about their opinion, and still others were commenting on how close the vote seemed to be. Settle down Beavis.

Ross didn't change the sounds Otto did so it''s Ross decision whether to switch or not and I'm pretty damn sure Ross won't switch.

It wasn't Otto, it was Daniel - the other sound guy.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

It wasn't Otto, it was Daniel - the other sound guy.

How many of them are there?Anyway my point sticks(probably) Ross didn't change it.

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

To simply put it, Black Mesa tried to fix that and removed one of Half-Life's biggest charms. .

I wasn't aware that they took parts out in Black Mesa? I thought it was simply revamped graphics and audio. With that being said, I'm glad Ross didn't switch to it. I am upset that he made such observations such as the box smashing room and in episode 0, the holograph that didn't have any emitters because now I judge games with the same skeptical eye. Like in Far Cry 3, there are centuries-old untouched Mayan ruins....that still have fires lit....wtf?

Thanks Ross for removing my naivete....

Black Mesa redid everything to make a realistic version of the original Half-Life... No more random pointless, and illogical pathing to go through... "Realistic" weapon sounds were one of the smallest changes that was made. (and I don't get why people think that bad audio adds anything to a game, even relating to nostalgia)

No more random pointless, and illogical pathing to go through...

When you put it like that, you almost make it sound like there shouldn't be any exploration or deviation from linear paths in FPS games. No wonder people still cling mercilessly to DooM...

Ross. You made the community vote on something and then you decide that it's not an option to go with the one that has more votes. Shame.

But I'll still be watching, so... :(

Ross. You made the community vote on something and then you decide that it's not an option to go with the one that has more votes. Shame.

But I'll still be watching, so... :(

Most democracies work based on a clear majority. Neither option had that majority, and thus he took the safer (and more efficient) route.

Plus, one has to imagine that those who selected the "no" option were more passionate about their answer than the "yes" people, since I severely doubt too many people would be overly irritated if he removed the new sounds, as compared to the irritation of those should the sounds be kept.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

No more random pointless, and illogical pathing to go through...

When you put it like that, you almost make it sound like there shouldn't be any exploration or deviation from linear paths in FPS games. No wonder people still cling mercilessly to DooM...

I didn't say it, the devs of Black Mesa did.

If you're in a REAL military base, or military research facility, there are no superfluous rooms, and everything is clearly labeled... Exits are easy to reach with fairly direct routes... Even with the redesign, they still left as much of the original as they could while having it still make at lest some sense. (like no box smashing room because that would NEVER be made IRL, but the round-about way you have to go through the computer server room is possible)