Humans over other animals

Sign in to follow this  

While I have no real position on this matter, I'd like to know yours. Animals are treated as less than human. They are slaughtered in slaughterhouses with varying levels of brutality, but nonetheless, animals are being killed in a large amount to feed the massive population of humans. In your opinion, how justifiable is it to kill animals in a large amount to feed humans?

That depends on your philosophy.

The question You posted is pretty self-explanatory but just for laughs and conversation

Here's the four main ideas:

1. If You are monotheist/polytheist then the answer is in the books...

2. If You are humanist then You would look past the emotions and think for the benefit of humans, You would get as much food as there is demand by distributing it throughout the world with companies. You wouldn't care how.

3. If You believe in the equality of animals and humans then You would be a vegetarian and treat animals as humans.

4. Lastly, similar but not identical to Humanists, there is "natural people", who believe in mother nature and that we should eat just like any other herbivore out there by hunting individually when needed.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Dude that purple text is pretty hard to read on the dark forum background!

"Individual hunting" isn't really possible considering our population numbers now. Not unless it involved killing and eating each other, and I personally would consider this to be a step back in terms of social evolution.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

"Individual hunting" isn't really possible considering our population numbers now. Not unless it involved killing and eating each other, and I personally would consider this to be a step back in terms of social evolution.

Haha, sorry for that, I didn't want it to shine too much but also didn't want it to fade to the background..

As I said I consider this topic pretty self-explanatory, I only stated the main schools on this subject not the possibilities.

While we are talking about this, it's funny how vegeterians care so much about animals yet have no feelings about the spinach plant they eat

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

But to challenge Your thinking, I believe it is as we are herbivores so technically we could also survive and live with nature by eating meat only once, twice a month... no need to eat a lot of meat :/

But to challenge Your thinking, I believe it is as we are herbivores so technically we could also survive and live with nature by eating meat only once, twice a month... no need to eat a lot of meat :/

If memory serves, historical evidence suggests we and our ancestors have been omnivores for a pretty long time. However I cannot comment on the frequency of meat eating. This is where good research really is needed to further this point of discussion. We should probably all do some reading.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

If memory serves, historical evidence suggests we and our ancestors have been omnivores for a pretty long time. However I cannot comment on the frequency of meat eating. This is where good research really is needed to further this point of discussion. We should probably all do some reading.

As I posted that at 6 in the morning I confused Omnivores with Herbivores. Thanks for clearing that up.

If there are better pesticides, why wasn't the market demanding them?

Why were so many people dying before DDT?

While this topic is important to some people, I don't consider it civilization-threatening. I'm moving it to general discussion.

Thank you, Ross! That took a while. I said that after a few other threads were moved to Free-for all.

I'm thinking of staying out of this section; there are too many subjectivists.

I feel like this is relevant to this thread so i thought i might as well post it here. This is a collection of videos about the gruesome stuff that happens to make eggs, dairy, chicken ect.

WARNING! This video is very disturbing, i couldn't watch it past 8minutes(the full video is 11minutes long).

http://www.meatvideo.com/

I think it is ridiculous what goes on there. I am no vegetarian and i love eating meat, eggs and drinking milk. But this makes me sick, and i actually feel bad for eating meat, eggs ect., if this is something that could have happened to the animal which's flesh, or milk i am eating/drinking.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Kirk

That is actually some of the worst, not the normal.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I apologize for the necropost but I thought this story should be told:

I just saw a story on one of the local news networks talking about how the workers at Iowa Select Farms were abusing the sows and piglets at one of their so called "farms". Apparently, some of the workers would throw the piglets on the floor because they were, and I quote, "bouncy", and would laugh while they did it.

http://www.woio.com/story/14992429/exclusive

I'm starting to think humanity is beyond redemption.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

I'm starting to think humanity is beyond redemption.

I think if there is a hell, it is to be reborn into this world with 'lesser luck', endlessly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 61 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.