Freeman coming to DOTA 2 (maybe)

[poll id=9]

I was planning on making a news post today, but I just got some last minute news that's changed the tone of everything. A few months back, some fans contacted me about the possibility of making a Freeman's Mind announcer pack for the game DOTA 2. As I've still been scrambling for ways to earn a sustainable income, I thought this sounded like a pretty good idea, as Valve has an infrastructure set up for it to get into the Steam store and I can think up with many, many lines for the game in the same style of Freeman's Mind. I've been working on this off and on for the past few months, making a serious push towards it in the past week or two (this is why the latest Freeman's Mind has been delayed). What I originally was going to post today was to say I was DONE with the first wave of recording for this, all the lines had been edited, and I was going to submit it to Valve this week.

The bad news is I just today decided to check Valve's instructions for the voice pack and they've added a LOT of additional instructions and lines that previously were never specified. Their information on this when I first started was awfully spotty, it seems they've approximately quintupled the information provided on what they're looking for since when I first started. This means I'm a lot farther off from being completed than I previously thought and my pack is no longer ready to be submitted. The announcer pack I was planning to submit is currently 634 lines (with 2,074 shortlisted takes I rejected, and 30 sessions worth of recordings), with an ungodly number of hours I've put into doing audio editing on this. I covered all the lines available to announcers (as of a couple months ago), with MANY alternate lines in the Freeman's Mind style of things. Finding out I have a LOT more work ahead of me before this will be complete is a big blow to morale.

At this point I'm not sure what to do, so I'd appreciate feedback from people on this. Is this announcer pack something you'll be interested in and willing to help vote on if I can get it submitted? Right now I'm considering finishing off the additional mandatory lines, then saving the new "optional" ones as a promise to add if this gets accepted into the Steam store. If I could get this in the Steam store, I wouldn't think twice about adding thousands of additional lines, but I don't want to pour weeks more work into this if there's a good chance it will just get rejected anyway. If you have any advice along these lines, please let me know.

In the meantime, I'll be resuming the next Freeman's Mind and hope to have it up in about a week. More news coming late July and August!

ADHD version: Ross has been working on a Freeman's Mind announcer pack for DOTA 2, but it's hit a snag! Vote on the poll! New Freeman's Mind episode in about a week!

FIRST

Edit:

I've never really gotten into DOTA2. So this is the brand-spanking side project? Well... I suppose I cant be upset cause you didnt say what it was going to be, but I was hoping for freeman mind side project, like maybe as other people have said, freeman contacting the military.

Hot damn this would be awesome. I've always been on edge about buying the Kleiner or Bastion announcer packs, but with you shouting at me for failing miserably? I would buy that ten times over!

Hot damn this would be awesome. I've always been on edge about buying the Kleiner or Bastion announcer packs, but with you shouting at me for failing miserably? I would buy that ten times over!
Actually Freeman will take your side more than not, I saved most of the venom for the enemy. He's also not above accusing them of hacking.

Hmm... If I played DOTA2, I would totally love to have your voice pack, for what that's worth... : /

Also, I hate to nudge, but is there any chance you could start updating the "Episode Progress" bar again? It was always super exciting to see progress between episodes!

I think it's a great idea, but unfortunately I don't play DOTA. I really hope there is a significant enough part of FM fans that do to convince you!
I maybe should have been more specific. I'm actually not seeing how many people are willing to buy it. Just getting it in the Steam store is ENOUGH. I'm testing the waters to see how many people are interested in helping vote for it once it is submitted and pending approval. I wanted to make sure this isn't something people are resistant to.

Dang, this is really making me want to play Dota now.

Is there any way we could get a sampling of some of clips you made, like a short teaser video or something?

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I'd gladly vote for and buy this. I never got around to trying DOTA 2, but I'll definitely play any game that has your Freeman in it. At the very least, I'd buy it in order to support you, even if I never used it.

Edit: Woah, I shoulda scrolled up. Yes, I will gladly vote for it so long as I have at least one hand to vote with.

lol and here I was on the fence about trying DOTA 2 out.

;) I'll probably buy it now, all it had going for it before in my mind was it was a strategy game (which I love). Loling while playing it because of your voice will definitely push me to buy it XD

(gah I'm too tired to be typing atm)

I own DOTA 2 but I've never cared to play it. This would actually make me want to - all the time. For the love of everything holy, Ross, PLEASE do this!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I think you'd be stupid not to finish this. You have the opportunity to make thousands of dollars here. Some of the TF2 hat makers have gotten like $50,000 per item.

I think you'd be stupid not to finish this. You have the opportunity to make thousands of dollars here. Some of the TF2 hat makers have gotten like $50,000 per item.
Well I'm keeping my hopes small. What I don't want is to spend 2 more weeks working on this then have it rejected by Valve. I think I'll finish off the "mandatory" lines (I have lots of extras besides those), with the public promise that people can expect all the "optional" lines AND alternates for them if it gets into the steam store.

But yeah, it's a nice fantasy. 50k by itself would not only be enough to support me for at least two years (including taxes), but more realistically, I could use the excess amount in long term investments to maybe have it keep me going indefinitely. It's hard to say, I've never had that kind of money before.

Oh I'll vote on anything simply knowing of the time and effort Ross puts into his work I know it will be a quality product, no doubt. And considering all the entertainment I've gotten from FM, and other videos of him, he has earned my support well and truly... granted only if I'm able to, as I don't play Dota and I have no idea how that voting would happen, somehow through Steam I guess.

Also, I don't think there are many people on this forum who would actively seek out and not to vote on your favor, we all are pretty much fans here.

I think that you would be the first item that I would buy from the DOTA 2 store. I say go for it!

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Just out of curiosity, do you play much DotA? By being experienced in the game (well, mildly at least <3), that Pyrion Flax has come up with lines other announcers (offical ones) have skipped over -- things that players understand best. Unique comments and stuff could be a great way of getting popularity.

Either way, it sounds like a great idea, and is definitely something i'd vote in.