CALL FOR FOREIGN LANGUAGE SUBTITLES!

Okay I will send you Episode 0.

Oh and by the way please discard the Episode 1 I've sent you.

I'm revising it and making a much better readable version of it.

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

Sounds good. I will be collecting these and when I get done with the Civil Protection and other AF videos, I'll send these along. You don't have to make a post each time you send one; I'll see it in my inbox.

Thanks for your translations, JudasPhysicist!

Good work, everyone, and helpful advice. On the topic of subtitling two characters, isn't there a way in SRT files to actually place subtitles at the top of the screen? This may not make readability very easy, but for instances when a person or announcer is making a long speech, it might be helpful. You may have covered this already, I just didn't look well.

This may also be helpful:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/43362-half-life/faqs/29847

I used to have a very very old bookmark of a fantastic script for Half-Life 1, but I lost it years ago. I'm not sure how complete or accurate this one is, but it should help anyone else who's trying to understand the actual in-game dialogue over Freeman's rants.

:lol: Did I understand right and you need Polish Gordon Freeman voice actor? And you... want to take care of this (??) Sorry, but Google Translate has many flaws. It had some grammar errors but I got it ;d

Oh, I'm sorry. I'll never try imitating your language again. I can't even remember what I was trying to say, just that a Polish Freeman would be awesome.

Here, please accept my apology with this: a 3D-ish version of your avatar!

we71.jpg

Err.. that's still a little creepy, actually. I'll keep working on it...

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

While it's a neat idea to place non-Gordon related stuff on the top, the conclusion I came to when

dealing with subtitles is that you don't want too much stuff covering the screen.

So in the case of the tram ride, you'd have %50 of the screen covered with text.

The solution I came up with was to remove the PA dialouge while Gordon was speaking.

And since the audio balance is done in such a way that the game volume is less when he is

speaking, it also adds to the character where Gordon doesn't actually listen to the stuff

that is being spoken.

Also a minor critism on the original subs I took from daniel, there are some subs with time

frames that are unreadable. They are around 200 miliseconds, no one can read that.

So I add those up to the following dialouge subs that is around let's say 4 seconds

and the small dialouge isn't lost, and is read along with the other one.

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

Yeah, you're totally right. If Gordon isn't even listening to most of what's being said in the background,

and thus isn't making a joke about it, there's no reason to put the information there, especially when

the viewer has to go back and pause multiple times just to try and understand it. It would be too distracting

and may even cause them to miss the joke, so your current method is actually perfect for the job.

:lol: Did I understand right and you need Polish Gordon Freeman voice actor? And you... want to take care of this (??) Sorry, but Google Translate has many flaws. It had some grammar errors but I got it ;d

Oh, I'm sorry. I'll never try imitating your language again. I can't even remember what I was trying to say, just that a Polish Freeman would be awesome.

Here, please accept my apology with this: a 3D-ish version of your avatar!

we71.jpg

Err.. that's still a little creepy, actually. I'll keep working on it...

Why the hell you always make my avatars freaky?! It's the second time! Is it somekind of tradition now? :roll::shock:

Polish language is pretty difficult comparing to English. It has grammatical constructions that don't exist in English and have to be learnt by heart :P ... buuuut..... reading is pretty easy because how you read every letter is pretty much fixed just to one sound :mrgreen: So you can learn to read almost anything without any idea what you're reading! :mrgreen:

Anyways, I don't know why Polish Gordon would be awesome. He's American and Polish would sound weird to me... I can be Polish Gordon Freeman, in a way! I'm qualified! :D:lol:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I don't know, this always happens when I try to humanize cartoon people; they become evil.

At least it's an improvement this time. I'll try and keep it even closer to the original:

7uno.jpg

There, now she doesn't have eyes! That's not creepy at all!

Sorry, I hope I'm not ruining your avatar now. :P I'll attempt Ross's one in a moment.

Extra sorry, I didn't mean to steer this thread off.

Otto, thank you for that pictures! And for the eyes, I imagined eyes like the main guy has in Syndicate game. Or like shining from within! I can't type too much because I'm drunk :D Sorry for offtopic... :D

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

I am very slow going on the translation front due to school having started now and 4th year Physics is just brutal.

But never the less, I am making progress.

I believe daniel will release the stuff he got together with the translations I've sent him.

The question is, who do I send the following finished translations I have?

Directly to Ross or should I keep sending them to you daniel?

I will be collecting the subtitles (thanks for what you've sent me so far!) and checking them against the videos I've downloaded for timing. Of course, I cannot understand languages other than English. Languages that are somewhat similar to English (French, Spanish, German, etc) are a bit easier to at least make some sort of sense out of so for languages like Turkish, I'm going to have to make my best judgment in relation to where specific sentences end. I will assume that, if the breaks in the speaking match with the breaks in the subtitles, they are timed correctly. I will not be able to check for things such as typos or grammatical errors.

After I check the subtitles' timing, I will compile them into one ZIP file and send them off to Ross for adding to the videos. I should be able to get to the subtitle files I have received from you, Judas, as well as the other subtitles I received soon. Please continue to send me whatever subtitles you have.

Please make sure that you proofread the subtitles. I cannot understand Italian so I won't know if what you're typing is accurate or not. I can only go by where sentences and breaks in the speaking happen to make sure that they're timed correctly.

Thanks again!

Just a heads up, I'm not dead or anything :D

I've sent you episode 20 of the Turkish subtitles.