College Radio Interview

I'm still busy with a lot of stuff, but a new interview has gone up if you're interested. This one is for the "Max and Teddy in the Morning at Night - Sometimes" show that broadcasts on a college radio station out of Cleveland. This interview almost didn't happen, since they had a technical problem and didn't confirm they could hear me before broadcasting live, so the first 10 minutes of this is them trying to troubleshoot their equipment while I listened helplessly. The first half of this are questions I've gotten a lot in other interviews, the bottom half has ones I haven't gotten before.

Link to show page

Direct link to mp3 of the interview

Try to find the spot in the interview where their supervisor walked in and started talking to them also while broadcasting live!

I couldn't keep listening past a certain point... The commercials were too annoying... I'll download it later and edit out the commercials, then listen.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Hey guys, one-half (Max) of the show here.

First, sorry about the technical issues - though we've done Skype-based interviews before, they were always done in a different studio than the one we were in for this show, and since the station is 100% live broadcast all the time, there really wasn't a way to check the equipment in the on-air studio beforehand to make sure it worked the same way. Still, our bad; happily things went well after that.

Also, the "supervisor" is actually the gentleman who hosts the show after ours - he thought we were playing a pre-recorded interview when in fact we were live. The wonders of radio!

Hope you all enjoy the interview, though! Thanks again to Ross for coming on.

Skype is horrible for these kinds of stuff.

I'd say try to figure out another method of doing this.

Old telephone method is still viable :D

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

Well :D There were no telephones avilable at home at that time... Because of me :mrgreen:

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Well :D There were no telephones avilable at home at that time... Because of me :mrgreen:

Dear HlPrincess.

Who is hotter, you or Alyx?

60% of the time, it works 100% of the time.

We think we've got it figured out for next time we do a live Skype interview - hopefully.

The biggest upside to Skype is that if the person you're talking with has a good sound setup - like Ross does - the quality of the sound is great.

60% of the time, it works 100% of the time.

We think we've got it figured out for next time we do a live Skype interview - hopefully.

The biggest upside to Skype is that if the person you're talking with has a good sound setup - like Ross does - the quality of the sound is great.

Wait, so there will be a next time? :) This interview was pretty interesting (minus the adverts ;) ), more non-standard questions than ever. So Ross didn't have to just repeat what he already said hundreds of times before.

And telephones are working again :mrgreen:

That's up to Ross - I just meant that we know what to fix for the next time we do a live Skype interview.

But we'd definitely love to have him back sometime - maybe to talk about this mysterious new project, once it happens... :D

Dear HlPrincess.

Who is hotter, you or Alyx?

Dear Gordon,

That has no relevance to the topic, please be professional. (aside from that, answering that question is rarely harmless, you could insult/hurt whomever you say isn't the hottest.)

Good response. Although I'm interested to hear what Princess actually did to the phone lines. :P

Wow, another interview, that's a lot for this year! This is actually one of the better quality recordings I've heard, plus the hosts are definitely more experienced and communicative than the most that interview Ross. This is probably my favorite one you've done, maybe after PlanetPhillip... or Meeting of the Minds.

I always thought Skype had great transmission for this sort of thing. I'd definitely prefer it over a phone conversation. Either way, it was hardly a significant or disruptive problem, more a humorous delay. I feel sorry you didn't have the chance to test the equipment, that's hardly any fault of yours. And very surprising "bumper" music you played, Maxwell. Thanks a lot for broadcasting this!

So Ross didn't have to just repeat what he already said hundreds of times before.

Yeah, this is unfortunately a big part of PR that almost every writer, actor or director involved in games and films has to deal with at some point. It's to be expected, really, since you're usually addressing a newer audience. And Ross is getting pretty good at this sort of thing; maybe he'll do a televised one soon enough.

Good response. Although I'm interested to hear what Princess actually did to the phone lines. :P

I was running around with scissors, chasing 100 duck -sized horses, tripped and accidentaly cut off phone cables :mrgreen: Not really, but is sounds cooler than a boring story of what I really did.

So Ross didn't have to just repeat what he already said hundreds of times before.

Yeah, this is unfortunately a big part of PR that almost every writer, actor or director involved in games and films has to deal with at some point. It's to be expected, really, since you're usually addressing a newer audience. And Ross is getting pretty good at this sort of thing; maybe he'll do a televised one soon enough.

LOL, I think he may use a spread*sheet* :mrgreen: of FAQ for interviews and just read out loud answers.

I consider televison nowadays as a worse version of the Internet. Now you get famous on the Internet and TV just appears there later, or late. But yeah, that would be interesting. Or not really... :] Talk show would be interesting!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Yeah, you're right, I don't really like TV hosts anyway, I just want to see him in a suit or something on

The Daily Show... Though he probably wouldn't wear a suit.

LOL, I think he may use a spreadshit of FAQ for interviews and just read out loud answers.

That's GENIUS! I usually go over a spread*sheet* for a job interview, but I never thought of doing that for this.

He could probably just read out the FAQ on the website.

Very true - for example, we broadcast on the radio (on the amazing WRUW-FM) and potentially anyone in the Cleveland metro area could listen. If we want to keep them engaged with our show, we have to provide some sort of background.

Usually what we try to do - and what I think we did pretty well here - is condense the "exposition," as it were, into the first ~20 minutes of interview (our first segment, usually, barring the technical difficulties we had during this one), and then move on to more unique questions. Not everyone is able to do that, though, and what we consider unique questions are sometimes ones people have already thought of :P