Music General

Reviving an old dead thread. X3 Cause, I like music.

And I wanted to show off one of my songs.

I compose a lot of music. Been playing piano for half of

my life now X3 (Only 8 years but meh). And, composing is my favourite thing to do. Apparently I'm good at it. Apparently.

But I want to get your guys opinion on one of my most favourite pieces. Unfortunately, each composition has a cheesy-ass title, but that's okay. I can always change it at will. It's just so much harder to name a music piece than an art piece. Music is so much more original than art. (My opinion) Well, compositions anyway. Not the big pop rock songs that consist of the same 3 chords. I mean stuff like Classical pieces and what not. But anyway, enough babbling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SWXoxvf9RQ

Sorry for Synthesia lag if that's a thing. Also, the start is boring, it gets better. I promise. :3

Thanks to my boyfriend for uploading this for me cause I have crap internet and he doesn't. This composition of mine, I can play about... 98% on my piano. X3 The speed and all. And if you're wondering about how I could possibly play the left hand in the later part of the song, I usually jump with my fingers. Anything I can't reach I just jump to really really fast. Back and forth. Back and forth.

And after playing the piano for so long, this is how demented my hand can look.

http://i.imgur.com/0tv0PSmh.jpg

This is just natural for me. It looks so friggin broken. I can't stop laughing cause this freaks everyone out that I show. XD It doesn't hurt or anything. It's just meh to me.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm-mNwAIQwg

My latest creation. :3

X3 I get so un-creative when it comes to titles. But the music sounds so freaking addicting and catchy.

It's stuck in my head. If it were to be implemented into something, what would it be? A game? Movie? If so, where?

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Convert to 8-bit and you have an awesome piece for a 2D sci-fi vertical scrolling shooter. (and probably quite a few other sci-fi genre 2D games)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I really wanna get back into music since I have some time now. I haven't played an instrument in over 10 years though so I'm gonna be undoubtedly bad at it when I do lol. I suppose for now I could just use Pro Tools since I needed that for sound class. Probably not the most ideal for straight up music creation without recording an instrument but it does have a couple plugins that came with it that could help. One of them is Vacuum I believe. Not sure what the others called but it's good for drum loops. I'm kinda scared of my Pro Tools right now though. Last time I installed it my computer had a fatal bluescreen. Not sure if PT had anything to do with it but the trauma has been dealt.

Also question about the program you use, I have a midi keyboard but is it possible to make tracks in it without one? The one I have is kinda finicky on it's best of days. Things ooooold.

Retired Forum Moderator

I use MuseScore which is a free program. :3 You CAN record midi, but I actually just write my songs down on the sheet music. There you can set the instruments, volume, etc, etc. Then I just compile it into a midi file, throw it onto Synthesia and done.

-------

@Jeb_CC: Both are good. I liked the earlier one more - nicely syncopated and feels more like a complete piece. I can imagine the latter being a base for a larger number, however.

BTW, not all rock only has to have 3 chords in it :-)

SD5engyVXe0

Regards

BTW, not all rock only has to have 3 chords in it :-)

SD5engyVXe0

Regards

Ah, the wonderful Firth of Fifth. Tony Banks and Steve Hackett are definitely the stars on that track. This track also proves that not all rock uses only 3 chords nor 4/4 time signature.

G501Ii0X0NE

Welp, now what?

Yes. Can he fail, armed with his chocolate surprise? :D

Then, of course, there is this:

KcIMgiITrMo

Regards

Of course. There's an angel standing in the sun....

Then there's The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album. Though i'll admit it took me less than a year to fully enjoy it. The concept was deeper than i thought. It did give me those spine-tingling moments through songs like In The Cage, Chamber of 32 Doors, and The Lamia though.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Welp, now what?

Amazing how often the Lamb is being misunderstood, even dismissed as self-indulgence by Gabriel. People tend to fixate on the effects and the ambient pieces and miss all the music.

Regards

Amazing how often the Lamb is being misunderstood, even dismissed as self-indulgence by Gabriel. People tend to fixate on the effects and the ambient pieces and miss all the music.

Regards

And critics tend to focus too much on Peter's performance, and stage persona rather than the music whenever they did the Lamb live. It also amazing to think that they even performed it live over a hundred times, considering the stage setup they used for that tour, and the technical problems they had to put up with.

Welp, now what?

I've found some brilliant people here, and I'm still a new arrival! Musicians and Prog-fans! :mrgreen:

Here's a short piece I made last year for my Composition module.

Theory

The piece is based around Messiaen's 2nd Mode Of Limited Transposition (also known as the octatonic scale). When the chord changes, instead of shifting the scale onto the new root note, the scale stays the in one place, and all the notes play as before, but shifted 1 degree forward in the scale. This allows for a much more profound change in harmony and a very jarring sound.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Nice. Your explanation made me think of a famous octatonic piece here

KpJaJt3NWsM

It also amazing to think that they even performed it live over a hundred times, considering the stage setup they used for that tour, and the technical problems they had to put up with.

They have since given all the materials to The Musical Box and the latter have recreated the complete "Lamb" show, with slides, props and all. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see them doing it, though I've been to their "Selling England" show and that was absolutely perfect (they are touring Canada and the US now)!

Regards

I've found some brilliant people here, and I'm still a new arrival! Musicians and Prog-fans! :mrgreen:

Theory

The piece is based around Messiaen's 2nd Mode Of Limited Transposition (also known as the octatonic scale). When the chord changes, instead of shifting the scale onto the new root note, the scale stays the in one place, and all the notes play as before, but shifted 1 degree forward in the scale. This allows for a much more profound change in harmony and a very jarring sound.

I've always been a Jazz loving kind of person, which is why I love Electro Swing so much. Combining Electronics and Swing. X3 So good. But well done! I like it. :3 Not bad at all.

-------

Cheers! ^_^

I've a pretty mixed bag on my soundcloud, some of the older ones I plan on redoing at some point, and I've got a bunch of pieces to be put up when I've got them sounding right.

I should probably also share my band's EP. We're a Folk-pop band, though steadily getting rockier, as we've switched to a drumkit from a Cajon. Our gig in a couple of weeks' time is gonna be top-shelf.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Theory

You got groove. I like it. Also, i'm trying to learn music theory on the side, and this really put my foot in the door there.

They have since given all the materials to The Musical Box and the latter have recreated the complete "Lamb" show, with slides, props and all. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see them doing it, though I've been to their "Selling England" show and that was absolutely perfect (they are touring Canada and the US now)!

Regards

I've seen videos of The Musical Box's performances from Foxtrot to the Lamb. In comparison to whatever Genesis footages available, The Musical Box nailed the visuals and music almost perfectly. There's a Youtube video of them playing the Lamb if you haven't seen it:

OlX4moDYEmA

I've always wanted to see their show, heck it's even in my bucket list. Sadly though, the chances of them coming to the Philippines are completely nil. 'til then, i'll settle for downloading recordings of their shows.

Welp, now what?

I'm thinking (in the progress) of making a new Jazz sort of song. :o Don't know if it'll turn out like a proper Jazz though. :P I'll post it here when I'm done.

EDIT: 2 and a half hours later and I'm done! Not even sure what it is. I usually aim for something, but it ends up getting messed up in an awesome sort of way. Will upload video later. X3 For now, let me show you a snippet of my 11 page creation.

618jn0x.png

-------

Incidentally, I found I liked jazz back in early high school after watching the anime Cowboy Bebop. It's got a really good soundtrack if you haven't heard it. A few of them I like are:

Intro:

n2rVnRwW0h8

Great Saxophone:

WKnVaDwUg5s

Harmonica:

MduJjbcLSqE

YncNm0WQY2I

I still need to go through my dad's albums though. He's got a huge collection and I need to see which one's I like. Cannonball Adderley is also another I like. I listen to that when I need to stay calm during something lol.

Recently my family discovered a jazz bar near where we live that has live music every night, and every Tuesday a particular group named J.C. Spires plays and I really like there stuff. I can't find too many video's of them since a lot of what they have up and recorded/released is really old and not as good as they are now, but this is one of my favorite songs by them.

-Nzjg0CMzDg

Normally JC himself (the one on the guitar) is singing but this is still a great version. I've actually talked with them a bit too. They love seeing repeat customers and even thank us for showing up when we do and ask how things are going. They're really cool people.

Retired Forum Moderator