Music General

would you be willing to share some? :D I see a lot of pictures but not enough sound

Certainly! We've been working on our online presence lately, with more general info about us, and making our music more accessible. The EP is now available on Soundcloud, and the opening track is now on YouTube too. We may or may not upload the rest of the tracks - to be honest I'd rather have actual videos on our channel than just audio!

There is a video on my channel which I've got unlisted, as the quality's pretty pish, but it's highlights from a recent gig. I need to get an external microphone stat! If you can get past the clipping, it's a passable taster :P

lRTfwLktqrA

EDIT: just updated our Bandcamp too!

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Once you get past the mic being peaked in the video, that song's pretty good lol. Would definitely like to hear it as it's own track. Gonna check out the bandcamp next.

Retired Forum Moderator

I gotta question. Do you guys know how in medieval style battle scenes from movies, they'll muffle out all the screaming and sword clashing of the battle and play a very beautiful female vocal solo piece, often with some underlying strings. I need a specific searchable name for this kind of music so I can get more of it. Here's an example:

Q9XN14PCJaw

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

anyone ever listen to the soundtracks done by Elliot Goldenthal? i think he did the music for one of my favourite Stallone films: Daylight, directed by Rob Cohen

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

So, I've uploaded three tracks to my Soundcloud in the past few weeks or so - two are new, one is not so new but modified a little so it doesn't sound bat-shit horrible. :P

Been playing with a bunch of stuff like volume and tempo lately too... so hopefully that brings out some nice variety. :D

Although... I think I need another challenge. XP Give me three chords!

@CollectiveFoal: Usually I get a lot of these songs if I type up; "Action" or "Adventure" or something like that into a site that uses those sort of key words. But I don't know any exact genre, if there even is one. XP

@Scott: Nope.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Give me three chords!

A minor

F major7

Bb9

Bonus points for including usage of the Phygian scale.

Give me three chords!

Bungee chord, para chord, and accessory chord.

;)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

@Binky: Okay... so... *twiddles my thumbs nervously* I forgot about my own challenge... XD But, I'll do that! I will! I dunno when, but I will! XP

I made a new song, but it wasn't the challenge. I wanted to make one more song before I left for the US... in one day... I'll probably still be able to make music whilst I'm over there. I only use my piano to make up tunes. And I can always make up tunes in my head. :P My sheet-music writing skills are too damn fine. That's how I make 100% of my songs. XD

@BTG: Haha... ha... :P Ha.

Anyway, this is the latest song:

Used a bunch of different instruments, fiddled with the drums, changed the tempo, different volumes, this has got a bit of everything in it! :D I'm finishing this up at 3am, and I'm tired. XD I started this at like... 6pm, gosh dammit. I gotta stop doing things all in one bloody day. But I get so mad at myself if I don't finish within the day. Pfffffttt...

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Anyway, this is the latest song:

Neat! I am really reminded of an old-skool "unlicensed" video game for the original NES, "Tetris" made by Tengen.

Whenever you beat a level, depending on your score in that level, some Russian dancers would come out and dance to a little song. Your song reminded me of that song. This:

yY4xJ1tcAEE

That's a good thing! :)

Oh. This is so good! And in only one day. My dear Jeb, I am lost for words...

I love this so much! The melodic parts are so beautiful... And now you are so confident with the instrumentation and drums... Mmm...

Geez, old Vappy will just sit here in the corner for a while, hat in hand, listening to your sweet sounds and marveling at your talents... :D

Regards

I recently did a rough guitar recording of a certain Triptykon song here. I'm thinking of adding some vocals to it.

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

Ok, so here's a question for people here... I'm looking for a program that has a simple interface for making music, that is designed for someone who both doesn't read music, and doesn't want some random arbitrary control scheme.

I want to be able to generate tones of specific frequencies, for specific durations, and have a visual representation of it. Here's a picture of what I see when I think of music, and a small portion of a piece I'm composing.

Anyone know of any program like that? (please don't say Musescore)

DreamScape_Escape_Sequence_5.jpg.12b9c988059df4f5870a0b2adf1c0d7f.jpg

@BTG: Jazz! :D The program I use. It seems like it would help you a lot. Unfortunately, it's a bit... hard to get... and I don't have time to get it for you myself right now. But I can get Vappy to give you it. X3 Or you can scrounge this thread for it.

-------

@BTG: Jazz! :D The program I use. It seems like it would help you a lot. Unfortunately, it's a bit... hard to get... and I don't have time to get it for you myself right now. But I can get Vappy to give you it. X3 Or you can scrounge this thread for it.

Got it... Was back on page 4.

[EDIT] It refuses to install... The installer just sits there and does nothing but use up a very small amount of RAM. Yes, I did try compatibility modes, and running as administrator. I'll just have to try using it in a VM later.

@BTG: Ack, geez. :S Sorry! Good luck with it! If you really can't get that to work, there's also Aria Maestosa... looks familiar to what you want, however, I haven't used it much so I can't say if it's any decent or not.

http://ariamaestosa.sourceforge.net/

-------

Actually, that looks like a cross between Musescore and what I want... I don't use the standard musical scale when I think of music, I think of frequencies, harmonic frequencies, and stuff like that. Musical notes mean nothing to my mind.

Quite a few programs have a setup similar to that but none of them have been real easy to just pick up and do in my experience. I know I had to dig around in Pro Tools before I found it but Audacity was a little easier to get down. Both are paid tho but I feel like that's a moot point.

Pro Tools example: https://macprovid.vo.llnwd.net/o43/hub/media/1088/8230/Image_13.png

Audacity example: http://sourceforge.net/p/qtractor/wiki/Manual%20-%204%20Qtractor--An%20Overview/attachment/qtractor-0.3.0-user-manual_html_8642dbe1.png

Personally recommend Audacity for that purpose as Pro Tools is more of the overall sound tool than straight up music.

Also, as a music request: Anything with strong Baritone Sax. I like that rich sound but can never find many songs featuring that. Preferably jazzy.

Retired Forum Moderator

Yet more great tunes Jeb! And haha, I do look forward to seeing what you make from my chords :P

@DeWolfeJV: ooft, that tone, dat chug. What guitar do you have?

I sort of feel like I'm hijacking a thread full of other peoples involved conversations, but this thread seems as good as any to post some of my favourite genres in the hope someones interest in piqued. If your a fan of any one following styles or artists/bands mentioned, give me a shout :D I'd thought posting some more genre specific threads once I'd been here for a bit, but I get the feeling this forum isn't big on duplicate or "variation on a theme" topics.

Ambient/Drone (Christopher Bissonnette, Family Battle Snake, Jefre Cantu-Ledesma, Secret Colors)

Atmospheric/Ambient Black Metal (Alrakis, Benighted In Sodom, Drowning The Light, Summoning)

Coldwave/Synth Pop (Berndsen, Iron Curtain, Oppenheimer Analysis, Xeno & Oaklander)

Dark Ambient (Gustaf Hildebrand, Instincts, Kammarheit, New Risen Throne)

Doom Metal/Stoner Metal (Bong, Church Of Misery, Dopelord, Pilgrim)

Drum n' Bass/Jungle (Audio, B-Boy 300, Current Value, UFO!)

Electroclash (Cut Copy, GusGus, Metronomy, The Presets)

Experimental Electronica/Plunderphonics (Co La, Heatsick, Huerco S., Joseph Hammer)

Future Funk (コンシャスTHOUGHTS, マクロスMACROSS 82-99, 「fibre」, Tendencies)

Hardcore Punk (Modern Life Is War, Minor Threat, Reagan Youth, Skrapyard)

Hip-Hop (Dope D.O.D., Flow Dan, MF Doom, Stig Of The Dump)

Indie Electronica/Eclectica (Halls, Slava, Remember Remember, Rrose)

Industrial/Industrial Rock/EBM (Haujobb, Nitzer Ebb, Skinny Puppy, Velvet Acid Christ)

Martial Industrial (Blood Axis, Boyd Rice, Dernière Volonté, In Slaughter Natives)

Neo-Folk (Current 93, Death In June, Sieben, Sol Invictus)

Noise/HNW (The Rita, Streicher, Vomir, Werewolf Jerusalem)

Old School Black Metal (Beherit, Blasphemy, Hellhammer, Nunslaughter)

Power Electronics (Content Nullity, Genocide Organ, The Grey Wolves, IRM)

Raw Black Metal/UGBM (Deiphago, Galloping Shadow, Grinning Death's Head, Sump)

Rock Music of various guises (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Jesus Loves Heroin Band, McLusky, Winnebago Deal)

Shoegazer/Post-Rock (Kitchens Of Distinction, Puerto Rico Flowers, Sleep Party People, The Twilight Sad)

Tropical Drone/Seapunk (Fluorescent Heights, Hobo Cubes, Komodo Haunts, Monopoly Child Star Searchers)

Vaporwave (Infinity Frequencies, Luxury Elite, Sacred Tapestry, Saint Pepsi)

Witch House (▼□■□■□■, Bl▲ck † Ceiling, Crim3s, GL▲SS †33†H)

Forgive my overtly pedantic sub-genre terminology and general obscurity... :3 There's loads more but I wasted enough time on this list as it is.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa