Questions on Freeman's Durability

The crossbow with tranq darts can somehow pin enemies to walls and the ground... Yeah, there's no break with reality there... lol

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The crossbow with tranq darts can somehow pin enemies to walls and the ground... Yeah, there's no break with reality there... lol

It's the second game where crossbows pin enemies. There it's firing a heavy piece of electrically superheated rebar, not a tranq. There it's a believably lethal improvised weapon that would be extremely deadly due to a combination of a large puncture wound, severe burns all along it including in vital organs, and possibly an electrical discharge due to its strong negative charge. (It really causes electric damage in-game. Watch what it does when you hit.) Granted, it'd need to fly faster to work, but the slow projectile speed is an issue with most of Valve's non-firearm weapons and the only break from reality there... Well, except for the death being instant instead of slow and excruciating as the hot bolt burns the victims organs, basically cooking them from the inside while they're still alive, producing shrill sheiks of agony as they desparately grab hold of it and pull it out, leaving their wound open and causing them to bleed out and die in incredible pain, and I can't fathom why they left that gut-wrenching spectacle out. Not a clue.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

Actually, I can pin enemies to walls and the floor in the original... No mods, it can do it too.

Actually, I can pin enemies to walls and the floor in the original... No mods, it can do it too.

Odd how it doesn't ever do that to me, and I use the crossbow a lot.

I don't remember the HL1 crossbow pinning either, either in the GoldSrc or Source versions. Actually, in Source, any weapon can send enemies flying around if you set phys_pushscale up to 999999999999 or something. It's great fun at times.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

I don't know why, but it will only pin vorts to walls, and only pin headcrabs to the floor.

I don't know why, but it will only pin vorts to walls, and only pin headcrabs to the floor.

That is bizarre, but I never shoot head crabs with it so I guess I wouldn't know. (I do shoot vorts, but never pin them. Or anything else.)

They have to be really close to the wall for it to pin them.

Well, I've never seen it once. I've never seen the crossbow pin anything.

I've manged to get the enemies to be close enough to walls or at the right angles to be able to pin only a handful of times... I'd be hard pressed to duplicate it while recording.

I've manged to get the enemies to be close enough to walls or at the right angles to be able to pin only a handful of times... I'd be hard pressed to duplicate it while recording.

Version difference? I don't use the crossbow as much now that I have Half-Life Source. (I have the original on my old computer, loved the crossbow as a kid. Loved anything that didn't fit the setting it was in as a kid. Crossbows in a sci fi, lasers in a modern war shooter, guns in a space opera. Loved it all.) I guess I can try pinning something in Source.

notarget

ent_create monster_aslave

give weapon_crossbow

givecurrentammo

Yeah, it's not quite close enough to a wall when you do that... They need to be right up against the wall. (ent_create puts them out away from the wall a small bit further than the pin distance)

I think there are there are there I think Vorts one map the the chapter Office Complex one map there you maybe check maybe there i think. ai_disable keeps from running around.

Edit: Wow that was pretty garbled. What I was trying to say is that in one or two map of Office Complex there's a bunch of Vorts so that might be a good place to try it.

Yeah, back just before the "not as strong as methamphetamine" quote in FM. That's the only place I've gotten one close enough to a wall before. I've only ever gotten it in regular play though, so I don't know if they're close enough to a wall when they spawn.

I think there are there are there I think Vorts one map the the chapter Office Complex one map there you maybe check maybe there i think.

Haha, what? That's the best mistake I've ever read.

... Well, except for the death being instant instead of slow and excruciating as the hot bolt burns the victims organs, basically cooking them from the inside while they're still alive, producing shrill sheiks of agony as they desparately grab hold of it and pull it out, leaving their wound open and causing them to bleed out and die in incredible pain, and I can't fathom why they left that gut-wrenching spectacle out. Not a clue.

AHAHAHAHA! You have an imagination, but that would be hard to script. Also, would it be better to leave the bolt in for a little?

To at least prevent bleeding out, or maybe the burns could even seal your wound in some cases?

The realism of Half-Life is about as close to realistic as a Michael Bay movie.

Honestly if you are going to nitpick about these things you'd go insane.

Marc Laidlaw said himself that the game doesn't aim at realism:

You are incorrect in thinking that "the game aims for realism." We very deliberately do not aim at realism, but rather at a level of stylization that allows us to suggest just enough reality that it's surprising fun when we bend it. We don't think of our characters as realistic, but as stylized. And a lot of our design choices reflect that.

There's no such thing as a realistic army shooter. This is leaps and bounds closer to reality than they are, and that's saying something.