ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: TYRIAN

My dear sir, with this video you officially became an honorary member of my "Great Minds Think Alike" club.

Like you, I greatly appreciate the huge amounts of awesomeness packed into Tyrian - customisable ships, apgradable weapons, alternate fire modes, 2 player mode (where not only the second ship has a special charge-up attack, but the two ships can freaking *combine*)... I wholly agree with your opinion about graphics - in fact, I would go as far as claiming that the current games would be bazzilion times better, if they focused on creating some awesome and creative gameplay, instead of dumping heaps of money on superficial eye-candy.

Also, after hearing you praise the writing in Tyrian, I would like to bring another game to your attention - "Operation: Carnage". While the game itself is quite simple top-view shooter, it features a background story that - in my opinion - has the potential to become an instant Hollywood classic, if turned into a movie.

...anyway, I can definitely say, that I'll definitely stay tuned to see what you review next time on ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON (read this in the voice of Dragon Ball Narrator).

Great video Ross!

Incase anybody wants to play this game, you can sign up at gog.com. They have this game free to download.

You know, that train janitor was actually falsely accused by the train company in a failed attempt to cover up their own incompetence and apparently quite lacking security procedures. It was all over the news here in Sweden for quite a while.
That's too bad, I was hoping it was just someone with an insane agenda.

Well, the Greater Stockholm Area Public Transportation company (SL) has the insanity part covered quite well in other areas I think. ;)

This game looks so great and fun. I may get it sometime. But good video as always Ross!

It's free, takes up only 17MB, and you can get it built for Windows through http://www.gog.com.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I'm looking forward to that holodeck in twenty years.

I'd like to have the cat language translator too...

I'm looking forward to that holodeck in twenty years.
I haven't tried it yet, but my guess is the Occulus Rift is going to get you as close as you can hope for. I messed with stereoscopic 3D back around 2000 and when it worked well (it didn't always, and it's not any better now than it was then), it wasn't "more realistic", it was like being in another world, no joke. When done right (it's NOT most of the time, for example every modern 3D movie I've seen in the cinema has lame 3D compared to what you had in the 50s), it trumps any graphical improvement you can imagine. The Rift could take that to the next level, to the point where I might mentally separate games that support it v. ones that don't the same way people might look at 2D v. 3D games now.

I think Ross is going to have trouble finding games I haven't already heard of and made an opinion for that fits his subject criteria. :)

ROSS! This is perfect! They recently lost their video game guy so I guess you're kinda taking his place!

I think Ross is going to have trouble finding games I haven't already heard of and made an opinion for that fits his subject criteria. :)
Oh I have some games you've never heard of, I'm sure of it. We'll see what you think of Episode 2!

ROSS! This is perfect! They recently lost their video game guy so I guess you're kinda taking his place!
At TGWTG? I hadn't heard of that. Who was their previous person? Since I've made this reviews, I've seen a few others that people have recommended. I can say right there are some people I simply can't compete with in terms of how informative they are. I've seen some that have all the original packaging, history of the companies, people involved, etc. I'll try and give some history when I'm aware of it, but I could see right away I'm not in the same league as some of these videogame historians. I think I'll be able to make up the difference though in finding some (not all though) games NO ONE has reviewed, plus I'll have a lot more "color commentary."

I can say right there are some people I simply can't compete with in terms of how informative they are. I've seen some that have all the original packaging, history of the companies, people involved, etc. I'll try and give some history when I'm aware of it, but I could see right away I'm not in the same league as some of these videogame historians. I think I'll be able to make up the difference though in finding some (not all though) games NO ONE has reviewed, plus I'll have a lot more "color commentary."

I like that you're going more in the vein of Nerd³'s indie let's plays. Just sort of goofing around with obscure games to get your opinion out and to show off a game that a lot of people may not have heard of in a funny sort of way. Also, as far as game reviews/Let's Play's go, saying you're "Like Nerd³" is a high compliment coming from me as long as you're not simply copying him. (Which you're not, BTW, you retain your own style and your show is amazing even despite your distinct lack of British accent)

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Ross, did you ever watch Egoraptor's Sequelitis series? I can't put my finger on it, but something about this video vaguely reminds me of it. Which is a good thing.

Anyway, nice job on your first review. I liked the way that it flowed, and the occasional humorous comments (e.g. "There's no "screw you, you die in one hit, stop playing our game' difficulty" / "But Ross, I'm from Montana, this isn't enough gun for me") had good timing. They balanced out quite well with the more informative and review-y stuff, which was also well done.

I think it's going to be hard to find many games NO ONE has reviewed though. Not impossible, but tricky, as this is the INTERNET, where nothing can hide.

I guess if I had to come up with any criticism for this video, it'd be that it's not Freeman's Mind. Nah, but seriously, it'd probably be the graphics snobs rant, which seemed fairly out of place and unnecessary. Also, I don't think even graphics snobs mind primitive graphics on a game they're probably gonna play on their phones.

In conclusion, good video, and I look forward to future episodes of this series.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Oh I have some games you've never heard of, I'm sure of it. We'll see what you think of Episode 2!

We'll see... I've been getting random abandonware pulled out of my old DOS games pile for some time, most of which I have trouble finding any information about online. It'd be cool if you did find one though.

Say, have you ever played Elfland?

I played a mod of Wolfenstein 3D a long time ago called "Barneystein". All the Nazis were replaced by Beavis and Butthead and Hitler was replaced with Barney the Purple Dinosaur. It came with a text file with a horror story about Barney the Purple Dinosaur running a torture chamber in a castle.

It was probably the oddest thing I've ever experienced.

I think it's going to be hard to find many games NO ONE has reviewed though. Not impossible, but tricky, as this is the INTERNET, where nothing can hide.
I have at least a dozen in mind for that, although that's just sort of a bonus, that's not a requirement whether I cover a game or not.

We'll see... I've been getting random abandonware pulled out of my old DOS games pile for some time, most of which I have trouble finding any information about online. It'd be cool if you did find one though.
I'll be surprised if you've heard of the next one, but I have the REALLY obscure stuff for later (I did a search for one game's title on Youtube, turned up completely empty), I'll find something you haven't heard of eventually, no worries. Something like Tyrian isn't obscure by any means, just seriously underrated.

Perhaps next you can play Shadowrun (the SNES version)?
Unless there's a really special exception, I don't plan to be covering ANY Nintendo games after I heard about them going after Youtube creators, sorry. Besides, there's a lot more coverage of old console games than PC ones out there. Also for what it's worth, I think Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country are also serious contenders for the "best game soundtrack" running.

Awesome! Although I love Freeman's Mind and Civil Protection, (and will always have junkie-like cravings for) this format/idea seems to fit right in. Very funny. And yes, keep ranting: I find it very entertaining and funny.

-n00b