ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: NYET 3

So hey, BTGBullseye, have you heard about this game before? ;d

I used to have a copy of it... Only played it a couple times, but decided that restarting the entire game after each "death" just wasn't worth it. (I was only 8 years old at the time) I did however get to watch the guy I got the copy from beat the game once. (I am not going to spoil the ending though, it's just too much fun watching the speculations on what it is)

Very good review too, I just never liked a game this unforgiving of error. (I could play the Tetris clone that came with Win 3.1 at level 12 for hours [impossible for everyone else I've ever met] but I don't even get the chance to get that good in Nyet 3)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

(Though I don't really understand that part; don't you improvise most of what you say in Freeman's Mind anyway, only thinking about a few jokes in advance? And these videos are twice as long as the average Freeman's Mind episode to boot)
I mostly take the opposite editing style for this series than I do for Freeman's Mind. Freeman's Mind I have to do all the jokes in editing and constantly check and re-edit to make the time fit. In RGD I mostly just say my thoughts on the game, then find the footage to match what I'm saying rather than vice-versa. For me personally, it goes MUCH faster than Freeman's Mind. It allows me to form trains of thought, whereas those get interrupted every 10 seconds in FM and I have to think of something new to say about killing a solider. This style will slow down depending on the game though. I'll probably only stick to games I'm familiar with for the near future for that reason also. If I have to play a brand new game (for me), it will take much more time for it to sink in with me, then go back and replay parts for recording.

The point is that you don't want to. Lesser men will crumble under the anger levels he endures.
Well it's more like I can only get so upset over a videogame, afterall it is just a game. The stuff that gets me legitimately angry are things like corruption, victimization, exploitation of people and resources, predatory deception, etc. I don't plan on going into detail on this stuff anytime soon on the show (though who knows), but there are a few game companies that are slime that I definitely plan to call out later on. And yes, EA is on the list big time.

I would like to nominate Penn and Teller's "Desert Bus" as a future review subject.
I don't intend to talk about games LOTS of people have already reviewed unless I feel like I really have some things to say about it no one else has. I think people have pretty thoroughly covered Desert Bus.

I wonder if your copy is faulty... When I die in my copy, I get dumped back to the Main Menu. Takes some of the hopelessness and dismay out of the game (which could be either good or bad, depending on how you look at it).
Based on some other comments, it's looking that way. Oh well, I'll talk about that in a follow-up episode (which I'll probably do as a few people are rising to the challenge on beating this game).

I used to have a copy of it...
Don't worry, I'm sure I'll cover something you've never heard of, but it probably won't be for the next several episodes.

I used to have a copy of it...
Don't worry, I'm sure I'll cover something you've never heard of, but it probably won't for the next several episodes.

I certainly hope you can find something I haven't heard of... It'd be the first proof I'd have that I don't have excessively too much time on my hands. (just the regular too much)

Unfortunately, I can guarantee that I know of over a dozen games that you never heard of... Mainly because my brother never named the one of them he made before his accident, and the others were only released by a couple guys I used to know to a small group of hackers. (and me, just because I had the secure closed-system hardware available for them to test their viruses/worms/hacks/programs/etc. on)

Hey Ross, I'm not sure whether or not you're aware of it, but your fanbase isn't comprised of Ritalin snuffing ADHD children, we're more than happy to watch videos that go for 20 minutes. Since your work is generally fantastic and I personally have no issues watching an hour long video, (If it ever came to that) so if you feel like putting up long episodes, please do so, it's worth listening to you talk about things.

Also: When it sounds like you're resigned, like when you said "if I hear yakkety sax I may kill somebody" it's somehow all the funnier. It's like in Tyrian when you spoke of your ship being a carrot. You sounded so enlightened on the universe, I may well be alone in thinking this, but I was in hysterics when I heard that line. My parents were genuinely concerned when they came into my room and saw me giggling hysterically.

I'm very glad your making these Ross as they contrast insanely with most of the other videos I watch and they still keep me interested as well as making me actually think, so I guess that means that this is a highly intellectual show so keep on making em!

BTW I'm a bit pissed at you as well as this game is insanely hard(I know you said it) especially for a strategy game fan like me. The whole twitch reflex thing I've gained from shooters is pretty useless here :(

P.S.

Would you please try out "Battle for Wesnoth" or at least watch the trailer? It's not a mainstream game not a lot of people know about it but does have reviews a let's play and some other stuff it's not that popular(most views for non trailer videos are somewhere around 10k at most). It's got story!

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

Desktop Gmail Notifier flashes at me. Clicks on the little button. Sees it is from Accursed Farms (And the subject line is cut off after "HO" In home of...). Crosses fingers, clicks on "Go to inbox". Is not Freeman's Mind 50.

My Reaction:

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Hey Ross, I'm not sure whether or not you're aware of it, but your fanbase isn't comprised of Ritalin snuffing ADHD children, we're more than happy to watch videos that go for 20 minutes. Since your work is generally fantastic and I personally have no issues watching an hour long video, (If it ever came to that) so if you feel like putting up long episodes, please do so, it's worth listening to you talk about things.
Well you'll probably be pleased with what I have in mind for the Halloween episode then.

Would you please try out "Battle for Wesnoth" or at least watch the trailer? It's not a mainstream game not a lot of people know about it but does have reviews a let's play and some other stuff it's not that popular(most views for non trailer videos are somewhere around 10k at most). It's got story
This may disappoint some of you, but I'm really not a fan of turn-based combat games. It's just a personality thing, it's nothing against the quality of the games themselves. I'm unlikely to review any unless there was some sort of overwhelming demand.

Is not Freeman's Mind 50.
I promise to make FM the next video that comes out after Halloween.

Would you please try out "Battle for Wesnoth" or at least watch the trailer? It's not a mainstream game not a lot of people know about it but does have reviews a let's play and some other stuff it's not that popular(most views for non trailer videos are somewhere around 10k at most). It's got story
This may disappoint some of you, but I'm really not a fan of turn-based combat games. It's just a personality thing, it's nothing against the quality of the games themselves. I'm unlikely to review any unless there was some sort of overwhelming demand.

Oh well we all have different tastes no biggy. Could you try out the PC version of "Little Fighter 2" then it's got nothing related to turn's or thinking even, problem is it's a old game best played with friends or max AI at least. The game takes up almost nothing and has no real story get to stage 5, beat boss, be happy. You can quite easily add unplayable champs by modifying data .txt file and adding specific text at specific points.

I LIKE TALKING!

P.S.

I think it was on the Sega Saturn originally

P.P.S.

I just edited this post 5 times trying to get the quote system right...and still failed :lol:

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

Hey Ross, you know what would be cool? If you make a crossover of this new show of yours in the Freeman's Mind. Wait, let me sell it first. Freeman is know to ramble about random stuff, so he could bump into something that reminds him of a game. There's nothing that invalidates the fact that he might have played a game in his life. And you also could make a joke about you two having the same voice. I'm pretty sure that the folks who watches FM also watches Game Dungeon, they'll get the joke... so, you cold do that. Let it sit first. Think about it.

Is not Freeman's Mind 50.
I promise to make FM the next video that comes out after Halloween.

Considering this was a "whine" post and I had already done that stupid bullshit with RP I am surprised you're actually replying to me. Especially since your girlfriend seems to think i'm dirt or some shit.

Ross, do you intend to ever foray into the world of modern indie gaming? If it's obscurity you're looking after, there's plenty to be found there!

Anyway, if you're worried about competing with other review shows in terms of depth and thoroughness, I would say that it isn't that big of an issue. Youtube is, afterall, a personality driven form of media. While it may seem odd that information based videos would still rely heavily on personality, keep in mind that 95% of the people watching aren't watching for the intention of finding a new game to play, they are watching to hear the stories and opinions you have about the game. Similar to Dwarf Fortress, often times hearing about a game is more enjoyable (at least enjoyable in a more time efficient way) than playing the game yourself, therefore a "review" of the game in the style you've been doing serves just as much as entertainment as does any other sort of pure entertainment, just under the guise of being informative. And entertainment is a personality driven pursuit - of which you've got plenty. Although you may feel, as the creator, that your job is to deliver a thorough and deep image of the game, the product's view count may not reflect the same attitude.

I actually had no problem with the length of these videos. They ARE longer than most of your other content, but they never dragged at all, and that's the only time I think a video or series should be shortened. I found both of these videos incredibly entertaining and I'll probably have to watch them both a couple more times to figure out why, but regardless, this series is off to a great start! I'd ask you to review the Stanley Parable since it's a game that could be talked about a lot and has some hilarious moments I'd love to see you talk about, but I also understand the game become far too popular to be considered an indie game, so sticking with less mainstream stuff is fine. Looking forward to the next videos of these and of course the next Freeman's Mind; 50 episodes of sheer awesome is almost here.

Well you'll probably be pleased with what I have in mind for the Halloween episode then.

I feel like the scene from my avatar, Bruce finally finishes replying to all the emails he gets, and then more emails come in magnitudes more. Ross Scott, why hast thou forsaken me?! :mrgreen:

I feel like the scene from my avatar, Bruce finally finishes replying to all the emails he gets, and then more emails come in magnitudes more. Ross Scott, why hast thou forsaken me?! :mrgreen:

At least it's not subtitle post-it's?

Also as far as obscure games, you've probably never heard of the brief, lewd, untitled and poorly made choose-your-own-adventure game I made in 8th grade on a TI-84. It probably doesn't even exist anymore, but I spent more time in Geometry making that thing than I did doing actual geometry.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Hey, Ross!

Took me two days, but I played through Nyet 3 (with the help of an state-saving emulator (but, hey, I never claimed to play fair))! If you want to see the end of Nyet III, I made a video-grab and stuck it on youtube. (

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88tyjafSado)

: / It's just credits. And, amusingly, the game crashes if you try to leave the title screen.

Here's the transcribed text and a Google Translation:

herzlichen glückwunsch!

sie haben es tatsächlich geschafft!

damit gehören sie zu den wenigen...

die diesen nachspann zu sehen bekommen!

demnächst auf ihrem rechner:

ein grafikadventure der spitzenklasse!

congratulations!

you have actually done it!

thus you are among the few...

that get to see these credits!

coming soon to your computer:

a top-notch graphic adventure!

Why is it that two people just went and destroyed the only reason for most of the people here to play this game?

Why is it that two people just went and destroyed the only reason for most of the people here to play this game?

Mercy?

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

NO MERCY!!! NEVER SHOW MERCY!!! (at least where video game endings are concerned)