Jump to content

ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: NYET 3

Recommended Posts

NO MERCY!!! NEVER SHOW MERCY!!! (at least where video game endings are concerned)

 

NO QUARTER SHALL BE HITHRED HERE!

Share this post


Link to post
NO MERCY!!! NEVER SHOW MERCY!!! (at least where video game endings are concerned)

 

NO QUARTER SHALL BE HITHRED HERE!

Hither is not a verb.

200px-Grammar_Nazi.svg.png

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Share this post


Link to post
The line is "No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend!"

"Nor dime, nor nickel, nor penny! Cash, credit, or get the fuck out!"

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Share this post


Link to post

These are the kind of reviews that I've been waiting for, Everything about these reviews are sublime. Keeeeeeeeeeeeep Doing them! It is so refreshing and is so interesting to see the collage of games that exist.

Share this post


Link to post

If Ross is interested, I would absolutely love to make custom thumbnails for his GAME DUNGEON series on YouTube seeing as how he currently doesn't use any.

 

(not full resolution)

w7ynip.png

 

If you happen to see this, Ross, please let me know, I'd glady make 'em for you.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead after so long, but I had to bring this up after rewatching the episode earlier. It struck me that the music during the opening credits of the game sounded just a tiny bit familiar, and after doing some research, I discovered that whoever made this game simply stole that piece of music from a pre-existing game called The Amazing Spider-Man And Captain America In Doctor Doom's Revenge.

 

To compare, here's Nyet 3 (song appears 43 seconds in)

 

hvUArDeuESs

 

And here's the other game:

 

Q6rZcjunt4s

 

What does this mean? I have no idea, but I thought it interesting all the same.

 

EDIT: Well, I did some more research, turns out this piece was originally composed by Ad Lib Inc., hence why both games are able to use it. Now I feel foolish.

Share this post


Link to post

I got inspired a few days ago a decided to translate Nyet II.

The products:

  • A little WPF app to help edit the strings: https://github.com/GabrielVonSchneider/Nyet2StringHacker/releases (Warning: It's really barebones and basic features can only be used by undocumented keyboard shortcuts. A more user friendly and feature-rich version is coming!)
  • A translation. This includes NYET.OVL, which can be used to patch the game and hack.n2h, which can be used to continue the translation. It suffers from string length limitations in a few places, but that's something that a new version of the app should be able to resolve. Another issue is that I wasn't able to translate the title screen, because changing the text there results in the game not being able to start up. I also wasn't able to test the translation fully, since neither my hacking nor my tetris skills are particularly good.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/31/2019 at 12:24 PM, Schneider said:

I got inspired a few days ago a decided to translate Nyet II.

The products:

  • A little WPF app to help edit the strings: https://github.com/GabrielVonSchneider/Nyet2StringHacker/releases (Warning: It's really barebones and basic features can only be used by undocumented keyboard shortcuts. A more user friendly and feature-rich version is coming!)
  • A translation. This includes NYET.OVL, which can be used to patch the game and hack.n2h, which can be used to continue the translation. It suffers from string length limitations in a few places, but that's something that a new version of the app should be able to resolve. Another issue is that I wasn't able to translate the title screen, because changing the text there results in the game not being able to start up. I also wasn't able to test the translation fully, since neither my hacking nor my tetris skills are particularly good.

 

3 hours ago, Schneider said:

And it's done. I've expanded the app (anyone should be able to pick it up and make changes now) and gone through the game text again, this time with much fewer length limitations. Here's the translation.

Although there's pretty much no chance I'll try out Nyet II, I'd like to thank you for your work!

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the appreciation!

 

From what I've seen the game really feels like the predecessor to Nyet III, with the slightly condescending remarks, a more simple version of the money system in the form of "Nobbies" and the tough levels, some of which require the use of items. You can't save, but the game has a password system. The catch: You only get the password when you reach a level all the way from the start, so if you want the password for level 50 (the game has 100 levels), you have to beat 49 levels in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2017 at 10:50 AM, Amayirot Akago said:

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead after so long, but I had to bring this up after rewatching the episode earlier. It struck me that the music during the opening credits of the game sounded just a tiny bit familiar, and after doing some research, I discovered that whoever made this game simply stole that piece of music from a pre-existing game called The Amazing Spider-Man And Captain America In Doctor Doom's Revenge.

 

To compare, here's Nyet 3 (song appears 43 seconds in)

 

hvUArDeuESs

 

And here's the other game:

 

Q6rZcjunt4s

 

What does this mean? I have no idea, but I thought it interesting all the same.

 

EDIT: Well, I did some more research, turns out this piece was originally composed by Ad Lib Inc., hence why both games are able to use it. Now I feel foolish.

Adding to that, you know how Ross wanted anyone inclined to do a remix of the opening credits song? Well, that kinda happened.

 

https://youtu.be/6d_MgPm8yYQ

 

Yeah, David Murray aka The 8-Bit Guy did a cover of the track when demonstrating a multi-track recorder. The construction of the song starts around the 3 minute mark, and the full mix starts at the 6 minute mark. It's incomplete, very rough, probably not what Ross had in mind, and it's a slowed down version to boot, but hey, what a coincidence right?

 

More interestingly, he still has the AdLib JukeBox floppy disk that contains the original song, that reveals that the song is called "Marvel-T" and it was on version 1.5 of the program... except when he showed the disk running it said version 1.6 on boot-up. No image of the disk online, as far as I know, has that song, and they're version 1.6 or greater. 

 

Apparently other versions of the JukeBox had classical music remixes as well, which does raise the question on how much work Stephen Goth really did, but his version of Funeral March of a Marionette sounds different at least if this page is anything to go by, so who knows.

 

Maybe if anyone's inclined, they can ask Murray for a disk image of that floppy and release it, since it doesn't seem to exist elsewhere. 

Edited by Rarefoil (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/15/2019 at 5:19 PM, Schneider said:

The catch: You only get the password when you reach a level all the way from the start.

Right up until this statement, it didn't sound like a Nyet game. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in the community.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.