Game Dungeon Wish List

Uh oh, what's that sound? That's me rushing in with another suggestion!

Normality!

img_scan_271.jpg

A strange game about Kent, a RAAADICALL surfer dude trying to better the land of Neutropolis for the better. He was arrested for whistling and essentially not being normal enough, so the tyrannical leader sends him into a cell, nicknamed the "blue pen", that continuously blares cheesy elevator music into the ears of the victims. He soon finds out about a secret team planning to overthrow the leader and restore peace to the land.

It's made by gremlin graphics, the same guys behind Realms of the Haunting. It uses the same engine, too! I found it to be rather charming in it's bizarre, early 90's cheesy CGI artstyle, sort of like Armed and delirious. You can pick it up on either steam, GOG or buy a physical copy. They're all rather cheap. The digital versions come with Dosbox on it, set up for the game. Whatever you do, don't run it in fullscreen cause GOD the game hates it.

The soundtrack is REALLY catchy. Listen to some of these tracks and I bet you won't get them outta your head!

c8FMCQjY7O0

This one got stuck in my head, mostly because i was stuck in the section where this music looped FOREVER!

GiP-bKefGLo

S21PwU6b2oA

kgNmuANdzMU

Wonder what that morse code means...

Anyway, it's a rather interesting game and I wonder what happened to the engine.

...Christ, I sound like a salesperson...

Hope Ross considers this one! :D

Two Worlds 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUzibCb0JY0

Any game of the Sea Dogs series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm3aGjHOp0

The Fall the last days of Gaia (im sorry for the music.. im not sure if this game isnt german only tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzGgqiaDzKA

ELEX (as usual for a PB game its very divisive.. at least in yankee territory :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW7Xp11e8hk
Edited by Guest (see edit history)

'Redline' (also known as 'Redline - Gang Warfare: 2066') is an 1999 FPS that mixes cyberpunk + Mad Max + Twisted metal.

Honestly it's supsiring how this game went under the radar considering how innovative it was, and it was pretty fun too, which is a rare sight for a game that is described as "x + y + z".

The first mission pretty much sums up the feel of the game

lg6SXX8s_o4

Oh! I just realized what would be a perfect episode for this show! Raiders of the Lost Ark on the Atari 2600! Everyone remembers the terrible licensed game that E.T. got, but they always forget about this one, which was... more ambitious, at the very least. It was a very early attempt at a Legend of Zelda-style action adventure game. You have an inventory of useful items, including a grappling hook; NPC vendors; and a wide variety of different locations you have to get through to reach the Ark. Oh, and did I mention it's a single player game that requires two joysticks to play? Yep, because joysticks only had one button, you used one to move around and use items, and another to scroll through your inventory—which was always present at the bottom of the screen—and drop items.

Special mention goes to the manual, because it is a treat. (I was lucky enough that the person I got my system and games from had a collection of manuals in a bag, even though all the boxes were long gone.) As was typical of the time, the manual told you explicitly what every screen and sprite was because nothing looked like anything. Less typically, it had a section preceded by a spoiler warning that pretty much gave away exactly what to do at every turn. Again, because you'd have no idea what was going on otherwise. The only other game I can think of whose manual held your hand that much was EarthBound. I recommend hunting down a scan rather than consulting a walkthrough.

It also has the worst rendition of a movie theme I've ever heard from a game. I first played it before I'd ever seen the movie, so I didn't know what to listen for, and I heard a completely different tune that started on the wrong measure.

Oh, and Ross? In the off chance that you're actually reading this thread and choose to actively pass on the idea, could you let me know? Because if so, I may as well pass the idea on to the Stop Skeletons from Fighting guy to feature on his show Punching Weight. I think it would be a good fit for that show too but I don't want him to feature it before you get a shot.

Ross, you've has been doing a few fantasy RPGs so I wonder what you would say about Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader.

It's made by Black Isle and even used the SPECIAL system for stats. Except Intelligence is used for Mana and casting magic spells. It takes place in the Renaissance, and five centuries earlier, some shenanigans during the crusades caused magic and mythology to come out in the real world.

How about

The Moment of Silence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYg5-XOkGMY (GoG Trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=072xIPBb-ro (Intro Trailer)

105094-the-moment-of-silence-windows-screenshot-about-to-ask-some.jpg

MV5BMjAyZDNmZWEtZTZiZC00NmI0LWI1YjgtNWYzNWQwOTU3YTViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTUwNjUzODc@._V1_.jpg

Never really played the game back in the day but ive heard people say its one of those believable futuristic games where the story became real. a game that wants you to think about stuff. more grounded in reality than science fiction.

maybe a bit "Deus Ex"? i do know you can talk to an AI at some point in the game and say "i dont see creation only destruction"..

some people love it (and even have the audacity to compare it to deus ex.) while others find it too slow, ponderous and boring. not the most obscure game out there but fairly unknown nowadays.

looks pleasing to the eye thats for sure!

its on gog.

Hey, I just remembered another weird old game that might be a good fit for a second Halloween sampler pack episode next year. Spooky Castle is a top-down dungeon crawler thingy with prerendered 3D sprites (think Donkey Kong Country) where you attack by throwing an infinite supply of hammers. And the power-ups are "Pants of Power" and cartons of Chinese food. It's been freeware for some time now, and actually got officially posted on Itch.io, which I've never seen happen to an old game before. I've only ever played the shareware demo, so it's quite possible that it gets way weirder after that.

Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions is another original Xbox racer that I think would be a good fir for Game Dungeon. It's not well-known, it has some flaws but also some good points that make it ultimately fun. Like, on one hand some of the missions are so poorly designed they're frustrating to beat, but on the other hand there's an actual tank you can unlock and use as a vehicle.

Edited by Trar (see edit history)

Another Diablo clone I'd like to see covered would be Darkstone: Evil Reings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkstone:_Evil_Reigns

Not many people know about this game either, there are very few decent guides around and not much gameplay of the original.

It's also available on Steam, and there have been some mods that offer widescreen support.

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

I'm not a great writer and it's such a strange game that nothing I write will be able to do it justice, so I apologize in advance.

it's a FPSRPG that takes the Source engine to its limits, where you play as an amnesiac warrior monk who's part of a vast organization trying to overthrow the space government and end the invasion of strange beasts from some hellish dimension that was opened by accident about 3 centuries in the past. It's a sequel to an old half life mod called Syndicate Black Ops where you play as a bunch of pitbull throwing trenchcoat enthusiasts hired by a local megacororation to deal with the aforementioned hellbeasts.

It's known for its completely bonkers storyline that requires multiple playthroughs to understand and is best understood after reading all the lore on the old syndicate blackops site, great art direction fantastic music, hilariously rude dialog, complete lack of polish, and addicting gameplay.

It was developed by a team small enough that a significant portion of the game's credits (a scroll on an altar in the last room) credit people by username.

tldr a bunch of french guys did datura and made a source game full of stuff they thought was cool and it's legitimately one of the best games ever made.
I've rewritten all this about three times and it still sucks at actually explaining E.Y.E, so have a video instead.

Edited by Brouzouf
added tldr (see edit history)

I made an account just to request this. Yeeears ago, I bought some games on ebay and this one got randomly thrown in with my order.

The Hive (1995)

I remember being like "what the heck is this?!" and not being able to get it to run, but the mystery of it has remained with me to this day. Could I just do a bunch of Google and search Youtube videos? I could. But I'd rather see Ross play it.

TheHive.jpg

On 10/22/2015 at 1:54 AM, Steve the Pocket said:

Now that I know you've covered Commodore 64 games, here's one I loved as a kid: Bristles. It's an arcadey sort of game where you're a house painter getting attacked by flying paint cans and things. Not much else to say about this.

Something that finally dawned on me: This could work for a Christmas episode if you get desperate, because the soundtrack all comes from The Nutcracker Suite and candy canes appear in some levels as a paint-refill... thing.

Hi there, this is not exactly whishlist. Just food for thought for future.

First is War Inc. a 1997 PC RTS, from what i remember it has some interesting features but was overshadowed by other RTS in that year.

https://www.old-games.com/download/5685/war-inc-

Next is Netstorm for me a realy hard strategy game even whit cheat.

https://www.old-games.com/download/5434/netstorm-islands-at-war

Then there is Gruntz funny puzzle strategy game with good humor.

https://www.old-games.com/download/3635/gruntz

That is all from strategy games ... for now.

From action shooters I would recommend Shogo: M.A.D.

https://www.old-games.com/download/6297/shogo-mobile-armor-division

And there are three action adventure games that comes to my mind.

First is Dark Earth and yea this game I would realy like to see on Game Dungeon.

https://www.old-games.com/download/1151/dark-earth

Second is Drakan: Order of the Flame.

https://www.old-games.com/download/6368/drakan-order-of-the-flame

And third is Darkened Skye.

https://www.old-games.com/download/6815/darkened-skye

There are other games that I played on old PCs like Intel 386 and 486. Games like Dizzy, Tom and Jerry, Raptor, Prince of Persia or Shadow Warrior. Yea good old days.

16 hours ago, Hatory said:

First is War Inc. a 1997 PC RTS, from what i remember it has some interesting features but was overshadowed by other RTS in that year.

https://www.old-games.com/download/5685/war-inc-

Sounds very similar CyberStorm 2: Corporate Wars...

Edited by BTGBullseye (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

7 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

Sounds very similar CyberStorm 2: Corporate Wars...

Well I never played this one. Thanks for pointing it out. From what I remember, what astound me about War Inc. was free movemet on global map amongs other things.

Beyond Good & Evil

beyond-good-and-evil-hd-screen-03-ps3-eu

I want to see Ross cover this one for two reasons.

The first reason is because he said in one of the Videochats (and also a old thread) that he thinks this game is overrated, aaaaaaaaand it's a sentiment I can agree with. However, I think that Ross could elaborate more on that, especially because I'm curious if his points mirrors mine, and I think a Game Dungeon episode would be perfect for that. (plus, it would be another to earn the "Minority Report" award me thinks)

The second reason is because, overrated or not, I still think it's a good game with a unique premise. And again, I think a Game Dungeon episode would be perfect for this game.

Machine Hunter

machinst.jpg

Another one that I remember from my shareware/demo days. It's a top-down shooter where you need to rescue hostages to proceed to next level. Don't remember much, but the unique part about it is that your character is not that strong, but when you kill a robotic enemy, you can take it's carcass and play as it until it's destroyed or you find another one.

The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief

Raven-screen-2.png

I know that Ross loves point and click adventure games (except Sierra ones of course ?), and I know one that might be right up his alley.

It's a detective story set in the sixties, and you play as Zellner, a middle-aged swiss constable, and he wants to take part on the investigation against the Raven's Heir, a thief that entitles itself the succesor of another thief know as the Raven (obviously), and he stole one of two valuable jewels and it's now aiming for the second one. I don't want to say more because I'm afraid to go into spoiler territory.

The best description I can give to the story is that it's a flawed masterpiece. Zellner is not the kind of protagonist you would expect in a detective story (he would be part of the supporting cast at minimum), and the game know how to build a mystery. The only downside is the second half of the game. Trying not to give much spoilers here, but after Zellner finally get to the botton of things and finds the criminal, the story takes a different turn, and by that I mean it re-winds to the begining, where you experience it from the point of view of another character. The second half is about giving answers about some key plot points and wrapping everything up. And to me it's a weak part of the game because despite the writing being not bad, it felt rushed in some areas. Again, I don't want to say more because I want Ross to play the game, even if he doesn't feature it on Game Dungeon.

Z

z_iga02.png

Probably I'm not the first to suggest this one (to lazy right now to check the previous pages), but I think it deserves to be in the show.

It's a RTS that really know how to distinguish itself from the rest. How? Well, for starters, you don't mine/collect resources to create units, they only take time to make, and the better the unit, more time it takes. And you don't build buildings either, instead, they are spread all across the map, and the map is divided in territories that you need to conquer not only to have access to the buildings, but also because the more territories you own, the less time it takes to make new units. So, to sumarise, it's a RTS that cuts away (mostly) resource management and base building in favor of going straight to unit training and combat, but still, you can't be too agressive either since you start with few units and the CPU has a slight advantage.

That's not the only unique factor though, this game has some good atentions to detail. Sometimes when you engage tanks with infantry squads, you have a chance of killing the driver instead and leaving the vehicle ready to be taken by any footsoldier. Also, be careful when blowing up tanks, the turret fly from them and if it hits the ground, it explode, dealing damage to anything caugh in the area.

Although this game is avaliable on both GOG and Steam, I advise not going for these versions. They are not the DOS (or even Z 95) original, which wouldn't be a problem except that I've heard it's a shoddy port. Apparently a completely different dev team ported Z on IOS/Android, and THEN re-ported this version to Steam and GOG, which caused many issues and I've heard even bugs that were not present in the original. They promised to fix it, but it was 4 years ago, so...

On 12/12/2018 at 9:02 AM, Hatory said:

Ohhhhhhhhhh booooooy... THIS game. You aren't suggesting this one because of Projared's most recent aborted Let's Play aren't you? If yes, then I will second that because I was thinking on the same thing.