Game Dungeon Wish List

7 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

Sounds very similar CyberStorm 2: Corporate Wars...

Well I never played this one. Thanks for pointing it out. From what I remember, what astound me about War Inc. was free movemet on global map amongs other things.

Beyond Good & Evil

beyond-good-and-evil-hd-screen-03-ps3-eu

I want to see Ross cover this one for two reasons.

The first reason is because he said in one of the Videochats (and also a old thread) that he thinks this game is overrated, aaaaaaaaand it's a sentiment I can agree with. However, I think that Ross could elaborate more on that, especially because I'm curious if his points mirrors mine, and I think a Game Dungeon episode would be perfect for that. (plus, it would be another to earn the "Minority Report" award me thinks)

The second reason is because, overrated or not, I still think it's a good game with a unique premise. And again, I think a Game Dungeon episode would be perfect for this game.

Machine Hunter

machinst.jpg

Another one that I remember from my shareware/demo days. It's a top-down shooter where you need to rescue hostages to proceed to next level. Don't remember much, but the unique part about it is that your character is not that strong, but when you kill a robotic enemy, you can take it's carcass and play as it until it's destroyed or you find another one.

The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief

Raven-screen-2.png

I know that Ross loves point and click adventure games (except Sierra ones of course 😉), and I know one that might be right up his alley.

It's a detective story set in the sixties, and you play as Zellner, a middle-aged swiss constable, and he wants to take part on the investigation against the Raven's Heir, a thief that entitles itself the succesor of another thief know as the Raven (obviously), and he stole one of two valuable jewels and it's now aiming for the second one. I don't want to say more because I'm afraid to go into spoiler territory.

The best description I can give to the story is that it's a flawed masterpiece. Zellner is not the kind of protagonist you would expect in a detective story (he would be part of the supporting cast at minimum), and the game know how to build a mystery. The only downside is the second half of the game. Trying not to give much spoilers here, but after Zellner finally get to the botton of things and finds the criminal, the story takes a different turn, and by that I mean it re-winds to the begining, where you experience it from the point of view of another character. The second half is about giving answers about some key plot points and wrapping everything up. And to me it's a weak part of the game because despite the writing being not bad, it felt rushed in some areas. Again, I don't want to say more because I want Ross to play the game, even if he doesn't feature it on Game Dungeon.

Z

z_iga02.png

Probably I'm not the first to suggest this one (to lazy right now to check the previous pages), but I think it deserves to be in the show.

It's a RTS that really know how to distinguish itself from the rest. How? Well, for starters, you don't mine/collect resources to create units, they only take time to make, and the better the unit, more time it takes. And you don't build buildings either, instead, they are spread all across the map, and the map is divided in territories that you need to conquer not only to have access to the buildings, but also because the more territories you own, the less time it takes to make new units. So, to sumarise, it's a RTS that cuts away (mostly) resource management and base building in favor of going straight to unit training and combat, but still, you can't be too agressive either since you start with few units and the CPU has a slight advantage.

That's not the only unique factor though, this game has some good atentions to detail. Sometimes when you engage tanks with infantry squads, you have a chance of killing the driver instead and leaving the vehicle ready to be taken by any footsoldier. Also, be careful when blowing up tanks, the turret fly from them and if it hits the ground, it explode, dealing damage to anything caugh in the area.

Although this game is avaliable on both GOG and Steam, I advise not going for these versions. They are not the DOS (or even Z 95) original, which wouldn't be a problem except that I've heard it's a shoddy port. Apparently a completely different dev team ported Z on IOS/Android, and THEN re-ported this version to Steam and GOG, which caused many issues and I've heard even bugs that were not present in the original. They promised to fix it, but it was 4 years ago, so...

On 12/12/2018 at 9:02 AM, Hatory said:

Ohhhhhhhhhh booooooy... THIS game. You aren't suggesting this one because of Projared's most recent aborted Let's Play aren't you? If yes, then I will second that because I was thinking on the same thing.

On 12/16/2018 at 6:33 AM, Kaiosama TLJ said:

Ohhhhhhhhhh booooooy... THIS game. You aren't suggesting this one because of Projared's most recent aborted Let's Play aren't you? If yes, then I will second that because I was thinking on the same thing.

Well I suggested it, because I played it a long time ago. But never finished it and it striked me as one of those slightly wierd games bud I can't remember why. And I have A3 format poster of this game over my bed.

On 12/21/2018 at 4:49 PM, Hatory said:

Well I suggested it, because I played it a long time ago. But never finished it and it striked me as one of those slightly wierd games bud I can't remember why. And I have A3 format poster of this game over my bed.

But the timing couldn't be more perfect. Well, it could if it was on the same day (or at least 2 days after) Projared called it quits, but you get my point, only a few weeks passed since his last Darkened Skye video. (11/21/2018)

Anyway, I agree it's good material for the show. I could saw the game tried to create a very unique world, but then it shoot itself on the foot with it's attempts at "humor" (although I still think Sacred 3 is worse) and the fact that the game is nothing more than a glorified ad for Skittles. (which is the most mind-boggling part about this game IMO)

On 12/23/2018 at 10:23 PM, Kaiosama TLJ said:

the fact that the game is nothing more than a glorified ad for Skittles. (which is the most mind-boggling part about this game IMO)

wait what - i don't think i ever managed to even get sacred 2 to run, that doesn't bode well for the third game

On 12/25/2018 at 7:16 PM, RaTcHeT302 said:

wait what - i don't think i ever managed to even get sacred 2 to run, that doesn't bode well for the third game

What does the fact that you barely managed to run the second game has to do with the third game having a bad sense of humor? Besides, Sacred 3 runs fine from what I know, it's not that old of a game. (it came in 2014)

3 hours ago, Kaiosama TLJ said:

What does the fact that you barely managed to run the second game has to do with the third game having a bad sense of humor?

because i wanted to try the third game out, but the second game not running at all, lowered my expectations, of the third game, by a lot, along with the Skittles thing, which I don't really understand

Survival Crisis Z, basically an old freeware zombie game like Project Zomboid. Definitely looked interesting enough to be on the show. Video here.

Would also have to second Space Station Silicon Valley. Again, definite Game Dungeon material!

Lastly may I suggest Fortnit-HRRRRRRK

BHunter

It has all the classic Game Dungeon hallmarks:

206444-bhunter-windows-screenshot-there-

-a virtually dead game

-almost impossible to get running

-has unique art design and environments

-amazing concept, brimming with potential, that hasn't been seen in video games before or since

-shoddy execution of aforementioned concept

Battle For Wesnoth, can be downloaded at https://www.wesnoth.org/

It's a open-source fantasy turn-based game. In a nutshell, the main goal will be to kill your opponents leader, like in chess. However, the campaigns plays fast and loose with this so the objectives may vary.

I reccomend Ross play the longest of the campaigns: Heir to the Throne. It gives a good chunk of story, has somewhat interesting characters, and the combat is diverse enough that it is simple to learn, yet difficult to master.

It's also an example of game development done right. The game has been in active development SINCE 2003. That's dedication. All in all, you cannot go wrong with this game, and it's sure to receive an ALL-TIME-FAVORITE award.

I can't wait to hear what he has to say about: "Let's talk about the music!" on account of it being really good, but you get the most inappropriate music at the weirdest times, and when a orc tries to strike a character, it sounds like he's thrusting in a sexual manner, but it's a really good game.

Hello, I'm LuciferSam. Long time lurker, but now I decided to come out from the shadows :)

Anyway: here a suggestion: the Tex Murphy saga: a FMV adventure games (except for the first two)

My first game I played was Under a killing moon back in the DOS days, but now I've played all the episodes.

I could suggest to start from the episode I like the most: The Pandora Directive or the last one: "Tesla Effect"

Here's a game that might fit the Game Dungeon: Drowned God: Conspiracy for the Ages.

c69Sihf.png.5afdad10329a2687ac1a39f706e7db06.png

It's a first-person Sci-fi adventure game with a gorgeous pre-rendered 90's aesthetic. The game delves into a massive assortment of conspiracies mainly focusing on the deliberate manipulation of history, also including alien intervention, the Knights Templar, and government cover-ups. It was actually a Windows 95 best seller in the fall of '96, but the bugs in the initial version and outright strange and occultist themes and imagery hindered its sales and shoved it into obscurity.

The real mystery behind this game is the unhinged developer, Harry Horse. He was an English author, illustrator, political cartoonist, conspiracy theorist, and former lead singer of the psychobilly band Swamptrash. According to Harry, Drowned God was based on a forged manuscript, claimed to have been written by 19th-century poet Richard Henry Horne.

I'll quote Wikipedia directly regarding the sequel to this game:

Around the time of the game's release, Horse stated that its story was incomplete, and that the rest of the story would be revealed in a sequel called CULT, planned to center around Area 51. However, he killed himself, as well as his wife and pets, a decade after the game's release, and no sequel was ever completed.

I think this would be a prime candidate for the Game Dungeon considering that it's an obscure and bizarre sci-fi adventure game revolving around conspiracies developed by a questionably mentally stable individual. Although, I have heard that the game can be dim and depressing, the puzzles can be frustrating, and the game might be cursed, but the content might outweigh those aspects.

Drowned God is abandonware, so it's freely available here, complete with a manual, guide, and patches:

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/drowned-god-conspiracy-of-the-ages-bel

As far as how easy it is to get running on modern systems, that might be a bit of a challenge, as I haven't had much success running it on 64-bit Windows 7. But considering how incredibly hostile Armed & Delirious was, this might be nothing compared to that game.