Game Dungeon Wish List

It's never too early for winter. Anyway, Overlord 2. I mean it does have some major flaws, but I have no idea if it'll ever be on an episode, that game might be a bit too mainstream, but the game is part of a genre which i don't see explored too often, and it's actually a game I really want to see more of.

Would really like to see Myth: The Fallen lords and it's sequel. 1 and 2 sit right next to Tib sun as my favorite games. Myth I think has some great presentation, some awesome music and how can you beat dwarves blowing zombies into many bloody pieces that riddle the landscape? Both 1 and 2 are awesome. The third one is a genuinely bad game, but it has some interesting elements to it. Like the Trow in armor.

Just downloaded Overlord 2, and despite the decent game review coverage, I would like to see Ross's take on it. I doubt it'd work for a Game Dungeon though.

Gotta put in my request for 1996's "Animal", an adver-game for the meat-based snack food Peperami. Inexplicably, it's a "comedic" point-n-click adventure game that challenges Armed & Delirious for how much it actively fights against the player. Much liked the aforementioned reviewed game, Animal has:

• Absurdly picky mouse placement for exits
  • Inconsistent methods for exits (e.g. randomly needing to press "Use" on a staircase when all other staircases just have you clicking the bottom step)
  • A massive inventory and an overabundance of random items to collect with no clear use case for any of them
  • A complete lack of direction or plotline within the game itself
  • A consistently unpleasant or weird soundscape at any given point
  • A protag that doesn't shut up (except in this case, it's a lot more screechy. See above.)

As a bonus, it also has a narrator that constantly talks down and is hostile toward the player. Enjoy getting insulted for attempting to even remotely think logically about a situation on screen. Archived over on IA here, for better or worse: https://archive.org/details/peperami-adventure-game-1997

Posted (edited)

I just watched a LP of road avenger.  Pity its a console or arcade game.  That game could use some hilarious commntary as its only about 30 minutes of a playthrough.  Its like an interactive driving anime cartoon.  Left, right, brake, turbo (similar to say dragon's lair or space ace but nothing funny here.  Bitter sweet ending tbh).

Edited by Keighn

I was thinking of Troika Games and their trilogy.

They had some of the most wonderful games, but they just kind of withered and died. Maybe an episode of Game Dungeon on Troika Games would be appropriate?

Would you consider "Socrates Jones: pro philosopher" as relevant to this list, or is it too casual?

Whats up everyone. Found the Game Dungeon trying to show my girlfriend footage of Quarantine. I love all the videos, so many memories I had forgotten brought back after so many years.

Seen a ton of great suggestions here that do the same thing. Amazing.

Anyway, id like to throw a few games out there that id like to see Ross review.

Battletech-

1094966529_220px-BattleTech_The_Crescent_Hawks_Inception_cover.jpg.a63a498b0a1a822091607bb38def809a.jpg

Mega Race-

header.jpg.a497b8feeaf475b1c7eca56f4a3ae61c.jpg

Wing Commander: Privateer

Wing_Commander_-_Privateer_Coverart.png.8bb4a82916ebbbbd722dd7b4ff563def.png

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter-

220px-Star_Wars_X-Wing_vs._Tie_Fighter_box_art.jpg.b4a54acab101d39d3506e94cb0c2b28d.jpg

Majesty-

220px-Majesty-mac-boxart.jpg.3834faf407a5142e27baa979d6887313.jpg

Also, I swear I remember a Dos demo I had called Bug Wars. I cant seem to find anything online. Ive seen a few people online looking for the same thing, and while Battle Bugs has been suggested as the game we are looking for, we are all pretty sure that's not it.

Also, to those suggesting One Must Fall and MDK, f*ck yea!!! Edit- Oh man, CyberDogs, hell f*ck yeah man.

I love what you do Ross, keep it up man!!! 

Edit- Remembered an old game that might be a candidate for a Christmas video. From what I remember its geared towards a very young audience, pretty much an educational math game. But snow equals Christmas right lol. Anyway-

Treasure MathStorm-

treasure-mathstorm_1.png.91b1847d99f3b3cfd99abbc497281065.png

Edit- Ok, 1 more then I'll back off for a bit.

Redneck Rampage-

220px-Redneckrampage.jpg.cd05f281672cdbf0c1df2326cd96290b.jpg

Edited by DunkMujunk

Gothic 1 and 2 are mentioned on the previous page, and I support that suggestion. I think they could be gold-mines for a good AF review. They've got character and quirks oozing out the everything and are also just amazing games - in many ways the pinnacle of Western RPGs, never again as of yet matched.

They're also unknown to a lot of North American gamers as Elder Scrolls was the big thing over here and Gothic 1 and 2 didn't have big marketing campaigns (or any?). I stumbled across them entirely by happenstance when I decided to play whatever random thing I could come across while perusing a torrent site and G2's English release had just come out - and it blew me away within minutes of playing it. They were hidden gems in their day.

Of course, Gothic 3 was a major disappointment and not done at all in similar vein as G1 and G2.

Edited by Delicieuxz

I randomly found Ross's Game Dungeon last week and I really enjoy it! I have a suggestion for a great DOS game called The Terminator (1991) made by Bethesda. It was the first FPS, first open world game, first sandbox game, and one of the first games to have a 3D world based on a real world layout/location (LA). Grand Theft Auto also copied a lot from the game including stealing cars, driving over pedestrians, robbing banks, and rocket launchers! I loved it growing up and it still is pretty decent these days... for 1991.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator_(DOS)

Edited by kuntz
typo

2 hours ago, kuntz said:

I randomly found Ross's Game Dungeon last week and I really enjoy it! I have a suggestion for a great DOS game called The Terminator (1991) made by Bethesda. It was the first FPS, first open world game, first sandbox game, and one of the first games to have a 3D world based on a real worl layout/location (LA). Grand Theft Auto also copied a lot from the game including stealing cars, driving over pedestrians, robbing banks, and rocket launchers! I loved it growing up and it still is pretty decent these days... for 1991.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator_(DOS)

I can 100% get behind that...

When I think of what I want from Game Dungeon, I want to learn about games that I'm not likely to play myself, but still stick in my mind for some reason. So that leaves two games:

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. I keep hearing interesting/crazy things about it. I tried the demo and immediately hit two things that really annoy me: Asking players to choose their stats without explaining what those stats do and, even if I knew what I wanted, I'd have to keep hitting randomize until it rolled the stats I wanted.

D/Generation: A game that starts off with you as a courier arriving by jetpack. The gameplay is just a bit too clunky for me to enjoy.

As for other games, I find Game Dungeon best when Ross finds a game I haven't heard of.

On page 8, there was a post for X-com. I concur. The X-com series is great, OG, artificially made harder and smaller by out-of-tune Devs, has a lot of failed projects, then got a reboot that was commercially successful but divisive. Much like...Deus Ex. 

Hello I'm new!
I'd love to see a review of "I have no mouth and I must scream" I think Ross would love that game

So I have to get something that came to my mind before I forget it because believe me when I say that I may have remembered a game that the internet, if not the world, completely forgot about.  So let me bring you some context about this game before I say what it is since this is kinda important, sort of at least. 

So I was browsing my backlog of YouTube videos rather than being productive when I noticed that one of the videos was about Breakout.  For those that don't know what Breakout is, essentially it's a game where you use a rectangle and a ball to destroy other rectangles.  So there I was thinking, "Huh, this reminds me of a game that I used to play as a kid when I was really little and stupid.  I wonder what it was.  Oh yeah, Blasterball 2: Revolution.   I remember that game.  It was on a launcher, wasn't it.  I wonder if I could find out who made it."  So I browsed the internet a little bit longer and found the developer: Wild Tangent. 

For those that don't know, Wild Tangent was this service/developers that had a rent or buy situation for very simplistic games such as this Breakout clone or Polar Bear bowling.  Pretty much everyone would play the free trials that were offered by the service.  Surprisingly enough, they still seem to be around, though their service seems oddly sketchy especially for modern day standards.

Alright, let's cut to the chase.  As I was trying to remember who Wild Tangent was, I found a game that I vaguely remember, but didn't get far in since my dumb child mind was too scared to play it past the tutorial room.  This game, which I am convinced that everyone has forgotten about is Men in Black 2: Crossfire.  It was this weird bird eye view third person game that basically had you running around as a men in black agent shooting up invading aliens, starting with an attack at the HQ.  I can't find any game play footage anywhere outside for some trailer for the game, but even that isn't a real trailer, but a trailer for the demo of the game that was on a disk.  Even worse is that Wild Tangent seemingly no longer has the game listed for sale.  If anyone can drag this game back from the brink of nonexistence, it has to be Ross.

Another game series comes to mind: Marathon

A series often talked about by the Mac enthusiast at my high school, but one I've never played myself. Plus it looks like it can now legally be played for free on Windows.

not sure were to post this I will just put in here I really love Accursedfarms I was look at Ross's Games list and think  Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura should be in the RPG section of that part this site  Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is such a good game yes its really buggie and lot of quest and things are missing but if you get the Unofficial Arcanum Patch (UAP091225.exe)  from https://terra-arcanum.com   

with that  Unofficial Patch it fixed so many bugged  or broken  quests and adds some new items too I think  it would be perfect for Ross sound like a game he might play would love see a Game Dungeon or a Review for Ross's Games list.