Game Dungeon Wish List

Drowned God is a first person graphic adventure game about a future society confronting the aliens which were originally the gods of Egyptian, Christian, and other mythologies. It's essentially if ancient aliens was real, and humanity became advanced enough to have interests separate to them. Also, if I remember correctly, you talk to Jesus, and he's an alien who lives underwater. If that isn't intriguing enough to get Ross to check it out, I don't know what is.

+1 for Drowned God. The moment I heard about this game I thought it was perfect Game Dungeon material.

One game I can reccomend for those nights where you have a craving for obscure DOS RPGs is

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

Notable features include (but are not limited to):

• Own notes on map, it's up to the player to keep track of where everything is.

• Janky graphics that gets worse when you manually tilt the player camera.

• A plot I don't want to spoil because the adventure (with the potential help of an online guide) makes the journey worth it, I think.

uw23.png

ghost.jpg

Ultima-underworld-box.jpg

Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase

7256_59d30892363d8.png

Think about Monopoly, but instead of running around in circles in a board to occasionally buy hotels in the hopes that someone occasionally lands in the same spot, you have a huge board with many spaces to go freely and many finishing lines. And that's just the start.

The game is about a race all around Europe (well, almost, the eastern side of Europe is blocked until many in-game years pass) with many randomized finishing lines (you can set how many), and (just like Monopoly) the objective is to be the richiest player at the end. The main way to earn money is to reach a finishing line to earn a cash prize, but there are other means. Rules are different though, properties serve to generate small incomes per turn instead of forcing other players to pay you for example. What you need to watch out is Dr. Drago, he will appear after a player reaches the first finishing line, and will follow a player like a tick, causing all sorts of misfortunes, almost all of them related to lose money.

This is a game that you seriously need the manual to understand some crucial details, like the chance cards effects. And it's also extremely temperamental on modern systems, but I can guess Ross can figure this one out.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto

ingame_4x3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

A hybrid between third person action and real time strategy, a unique concept on itself, but it also one of the few that tries to create a "assimetrical balance" between the factions. And it's made by ex-Shiny devs, so it has their sense of humor.

Personally I don't have any experience with this one, I only watched TotalBuscuit's video on it, and I think it defitively fits Game Dungeon.

Mutant Penguins

mutant-penguins_9.png

If you guys watched the AVGN Atari Jaguar video, then you might recognise this, it's Attack of the Mutant Penguins. But what I've discovered later is that this game was going to the a Jaguar exclusive, but it got a PC port years later despite that, simply named Mutant Penguins. So I could say this is on Ross territory now. And I think the AVGN words are enough to justify why I'm suggesting this.

Outlaws

23.jpg

Another game that I remember from my shareware/demo days. This was Lucas Arts attempt at the FPS genre.

Not much to say about it because it was a long time ago that I played the demo, and I don't remember anything particulary unique gameplay-wise. But I remember this is one of the few old FPS that tries to tell a story that's not "demons out of nowhere, kill them".

War for the Overworld

War%2Bfor%2Bthe%2BOverworld%2BFor%2BPC%2BFree%2BDownload.jpg

Yeah, I know... You guys might say "wouldn't be better if Ross review Dungeon Keeper instead?", but I have my reasons for suggesting this one instead.

Before it was being disgraced by EA by being turned into a Clash of Clans ripoff, the Dungeon Keeper games where quite influential, it even inspired Evil Genius (another game that Ross could cover) to be created. But most of games that are inspired by DK also try to branch out to something completely different (like Dwelvers, which also tries to mix DK and The Settlers in a blender), or only just are inspired by the fact you can play a evil character with high dose of dark humor (like Overlord, which is inspired on Pikmin gameplay-wise). War for the Overworld is the only game that feels like a true sequel to Dungeon Keeper 2, and this is one of the reasons I'm suggesting this one.

Also, another reason for me to suggest it is that this game had a rough start, a really rough start. This game had numerous bugs, glitches, and framerate issues on release, the main canpaing was a bit lackluster, and it didn't deliver some features they promised on Kickstarter. However, things are going more smootly now, since many issues are fixed, and they where delivering good stuff from either expansions and free updates. Truly a game that didn't gave up despite the odds.

And in this month (April 20), they are going to deliver more free updates (and a new expansion), including a script editor for the map editor that the fans were asking for a long time. (according to Nutter, one of the devs, the script language they created for the game is very powerful, but was not user friendly, and that hold them back to release it for public until now)

Edited by Kaiosama TLJ
The post became a mess with embedded link errors because it was made before the forum overhaul. (see edit history)

If Ross isn't tired of point-and-click adventure games, I've got another one for the pile: The Adventures of Down Under Dan. It's a Sierra-style game in the sense that you can never be sure how many clicks away from a Game Over you are, or even if you've already screwed yourself out of a victory and don't know it yet. It has VGA graphics and OPL3 music mixed with full voice acting (in fact, the playthrough I'm watching doesn't even show captions, so those are at best optional), photo backgrounds and even FMVs in little overlay boxes. It's also kind of insane. Not constantly like Armed and Delirious was, but that just makes the crazy moments stick out that much more.

One caveat I have to offer is that there might be issues with the audio. The playthrough I watched was running it in DOSBox, and several of the voice clips either got cut short or devolved into static not unlike dial-up modem noise. Though at least one of them played properly the second time around. So I don't know what's up with that.

Empire earth, Neverwinter nights (the original), Some of the old "valu-soft" or jewel games that were always a discount at walmart.

I can't remember if Ross ever mentioned if he liked strategy/4k games or not. but I'd really like to see him play Master of Magic. Which is a 4k game that came out in 1993/94. You play a wizard who casts crazy ass spells, you govern cities, and raise an army to take the map. Lots of customization and replayability. I fully recommend it to anyone how would like civilizations combined with lord of the rings and magic: the gathering. It's totally rad.

Here's a website that acts as a sort of beginners guide - http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/issue21/greviews/momrev.html

master-of-magic_3.png

MoM_Character.gif

master-of-magic_12.png

master-of-magic_14.png

master-of-magic_26.png

I've been split on posting this idea because it feels like I just want Ross to talk about one of my childhood favorites. I'm not afraid that he'll wreck it, I'm perfectly fine with him doing so. It just might not be inspiring enough to make an interesting episode, more on that later.

But it wouldn't hurt to post this idea up anyways. I would like him to try out '97 Chaos Island. It was an RTS movie tie-in game based off of The Lost World film earlier that year. They even got the main actors of the film to record some new lines for the game. Now for an RTS, it's pretty bare bones. If you're already familiar with the genre, you wouldn't be missing much. But it was my very first taste of the genre and it got me into it. Perhaps it was worth it as a good introduction to the genre for other kids like myself. It's also not that bad as a movie tie-in. Twelve missions in total (with one bonus mission after beating the game) with some not bad challenges if played on hard mode. Plus you get to control your own army of dinosaurs, it's not easy to go wrong with that.

screen001.jpg

I would really love to see a Game Dungeon for Bioforge:

Bioforge.png

https://www.gog.com/game/bioforge

Played this game over 20 years ago and its still stuck in my Head up until today.

Its a rather dark Science Fiction Game about a guy who was made into a Cyborg without any memory and wants to escape the Facility.

The athmosphere and writing is really good! A commenter on Gog described the game as "a novel with a 3D puzzler wrapped around it" which i think is actually pretty accurate.

The game even came with a small booklet giving the backstory of a security employee which oyu then kill not even 10 minutes into the game: http://mocagh.org/origin/bioforge-manual.pdf

The riddles are challenging but doable. Oh, and you will die! A lot!!

The real downside are the controls and if i had to describe the gameplay in one single word it would be: slow!

In combat it can take several secodns just to do a single punch and there are weird pauses in the dialogues where it takes seconds before the next line.

But all in all i think this game is really Game Dungeon worthy.

So please check it out!

I honestly think Project Gotham Racing, the original Xbox launch title, would make for a good Game Dungeon episode. It's not as widely known as its sequel, the series it's in isn't as widely known since there hasn't been a new entry in a decade, and not only is it an eclectic racing game, it has an eclectic soundtrack with a lot of really obscure stuff, like this:

The only potential hurdle is that it's only on the original Xbox, but that's nothing some good capture equipment can't deal with.

Fun fact: it was the second best selling Xbox title after the first Halo, and Halo was the game that MADE the Xbox. If Halo somehow didn't exist, PGR would have had to try and make up for it, and as good as the game is, it wasn't quite the force Halo was. Sometimes I like to think what the console scene would look like if that had been the case.

Edited by Trar (see edit history)

Baron Baldric: A Grave Adventure

326631-_baldric_017.jpg

I still think we need more detoxing from the Armed and Delirious episode, and what's a better way to do it than a game also protagonised by an old person that's not screwed up in the head? (or at least, not like granny)

And for the most observant here, yes, this is the Baron Baldric from the game Mystic Towers published by Apogee. In fact, this game is the first game, Mystic Towers is a sequel. But this game was not published by Apogee and was only distributed in Australia, it's native territory. This alone makes this game perfect material for the show. (I think)

But a warning, this game is frustrating, I've only played a few seconds of it and ragequitted, that's how frustrating it is. I had no clue of what to do, the controls were horrible... To be honest, I think the sequel...

Mystic Towers

mtowers-5.png&f=1&nofb=1

...Is a vast improvement, and despite not being as obscure as it's predecesor, it's a very unique game. In fact, I think this is the most unique game Apogee/3D Realms has under it's wing.

This game is hard and have tight controls, but it's not on the same level of frustation as the first one, I find this game a enjoyable challenge instead. Your objective is navigate the towers and kill all the monsters in every floor and destroy the Monster Generator that respawns them, and grab the key to exit the tower that only spawns when all the monters are dead. Sounds easy? Well, it gets tricky. You can only destroy the Generator with a bomb that you can find in the tower (and there's more than one, but you only need to use one), you regenerate Health slowly but you need to keep an eye on a Thirst and Hunger meters (food is found scattered on the tower's floors and dropped by killed monsters, water is available infinitely on fountains in certain rooms and bottles found on the ground, but the latter has a random chance of getting you drunk), there's lethal traps in some rooms (and you can use some of them to damage/kill the monsters), monsters from the higher floors are tougher/stronger, and other things...

Other unique factors I can say about this is that (obviously enough), Baron Baldric isn't the kind of protagonist you would find in a mainstream game, and this game may have some of the weirdest mosters I've seen. Also, just like Hinterland, this game is anemic on the soundtrack department, but the (VERY) few tunes it has are great. Just listen to this one as a example:

(Oh, and in some rooms in some towers there's the same level of nudity from Nyet III, just a warning)

Edited by Kaiosama TLJ
The post became a mess with embedded link errors because it was made before the forum overhaul. (see edit history)

If Ross isn't tired of point-and-click adventure games, I've got another one for the pile: The Adventures of Down Under Dan. It's a Sierra-style game in the sense that you can never be sure how many clicks away from a Game Over you are, or even if you've already screwed yourself out of a victory and don't know it yet. It has VGA graphics and OPL3 music mixed with full voice acting (in fact, the playthrough I'm watching doesn't even show captions, so those are at best optional), photo backgrounds and even FMVs in little overlay boxes. It's also kind of insane. Not constantly like Armed and Delirious was, but that just makes the crazy moments stick out that much more.

One caveat I have to offer is that there might be issues with the audio. The playthrough I watched was running it in DOSBox, and several of the voice clips either got cut short or devolved into static not unlike dial-up modem noise. Though at least one of them played properly the second time around. So I don't know what's up with that.

Update on this: I have now watched the playthrough to completion, and I can honestly say this is liable to drive Ross insane. For one thing, there doesn't appear to be a full walkthrough like he had for Armed and Delirious; the player was taking cues from a member of his stream chat who apparently had beaten it and was going from his own memory. So if nothing else, I should probably try to remedy that. There's also one recurring section that requires such precise click-aim and timing that it's probably easier to rely on save scumming at every single step. And another that I'm pretty sure is genuinely random. But mostly there needs to be a walkthrough. I'll see if I can make time to play through it myself and document what needs to be documented.

EDIT: Actually, where would be the best place to post such a thing? The game doesn't even have an entry on most of the usual sites. And yet it does somehow have a Wikipedia article.

How about Republic - The Revolution,Space Station 13, Discworld Noir or Vietcong (the first one not the second one) ?

Here are some trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsi92JzEhyo Republic the Revolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg-YMzr2crQ Space Station 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R_ozaO9AGY Discworld Noir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPFik_euhHU Vietcong

Republic the Revolution is a turn based management game where you have to overthrow a fictional soviet inspired dictatorship.

Spacestation 13 probably is what an online tabletop pen and paper experience in space run by the 4chan community would look like. (its actually a whole lotta fun! not as bad as it sounds!)

Discworld Noir is a film noir inspired adventure game kind of similiar perhaps to Grim Fandango and set in the discworld universe. "Pratchett consulted on the story and provided some of the dialogue, being credited for causing far too much interference."

And Vietcong is a clunky, eastern european, pseudo realistic and very immersive military shooter. It has lots of foliage!

or the guild 2... its an rpg(lite)/rts/management/sim mix. rather unique and some people are even making mods and running fan sites to this day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhhPIDsflI4

or Quest for Infamy. I havent played it but boy does it look interesting.. could be a possible hidden gem. maybe..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y6gNDpWAN4
Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I own a rather obscure game that I wouldn't mind sending Ross, It's called Chasm: The Rift, a Ukrainian first person shooter that came out around the time of Quake. I played a small amount of it. As far as I can tell it's about an alien race from different time eras attacking earth. It's rather weird.

The game I would suggest Ross play is Small Soldiers Squad Commander. It's a game I grew up with that has pretty good atmosphere and two separate campaigns. It's a fairly decent movie tie in title that somehow is a pretty good strategy game

hqdefault.jpg

I own a rather obscure game that I wouldn't mind sending Ross, It's called Chasm: The Rift, a Ukrainian first person shooter that came out around the time of Quake. I played a small amount of it. As far as I can tell it's about an alien race from different time eras attacking earth. It's rather weird.

Chasm has a bit of a history since it was created after Id software had a fallout with GT interactive since they were originally supposed to publish Quake. GT attempted to push it out to kill Quake at the market. But after it got delayed it released a full year later and was destroyed in terms of sales.

It does have some fans though like someone remade it's engine. It's called "Panzerchasm" https://www.moddb.com/games/chasm-the-rift/downloads/panzer-chasm-v03

I'm a little surprised they haven't tried to port Chasm the Rift to the Quake engine. Since this sort of project is popular with modders. (A group even ported Quake to Doom if you can believe that).

I've got 2 I think you should do:

Battlezone (1998), basically a first person view of a real-time strategy game. It's got some base building, resource collection and army building. Not many like it for its time (or any time, really). There's also an expansion, a sequel, a remastered steam version for both, and a mod with a whole new campaign for the sequel.

Battlezone_Coverart.png

Mount and Blade (2008), a first/third person action RPG set in a medieval time period. You recruit an army from villagers to knights, man-at-arms, longbow men, etc. and try to conquer the land for your king (or yourself in Warband). There are multiple installments and modules, including complete overhauls to gameplay with mods.

M%26B_worldmap.jpg

Both are really good games that have pretty unique styles of gameplay.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I think these three would be entertaining to watch Ross dissect.

1. Shivers

2. 7th Guest

3. Bad Day on the Midway

I know Shivers has a working download file thing-a-bob on the internet. Although for the other two, I'm not so sure of...

I think Ross might end up liking the Battlezone games... At least the classic ones. (the remakes are OK, but not quite as good as the original)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

JH9cSZN.png

Iji, an action-platformer from 2008. I enjoyed the atmosphere and weapons, and there's plenty of little secrets to find. One of the notable things about it is that playing pacifistically or just throwing hot plasma in the face of everything that shoots at you does have an effect on the story (but not drastically), and keeping your kill counter low does give you some benefits... but it's a lot more cathartic to play it the way the game expects you to, and the final boss is one of my favorites in gaming as a whole.

Also, the soundtrack is really good.

I love that polygonal art style! Definitely gonna try it out!

Another one you may like is MDK(1997) and MDK2(2000). Both were third person shooters where you fight through enemies and complete puzzles.

In MDK you play as Kurt Hectic, a janitor turned hero (sort of). You have a sniper on your face-mask that you mostly use as a machine gun on your hand. You get grenades, different sniper bullets, and even the fabled nuke-in-a-can. It's pretty gory with a splash of silliness here and there.

Mdk1cover.jpg

MDK2 has you doing the same, but also with Max the four armed dog and Professor Fluke Hawkins. Max is more of the shoot everything character and Fluke has more puzzles. The second game is much more silly than the first, but still a good time.

MDK2_Packshot.jpeg